Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7372 7373 [7374] 7375 7376 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9505422 times)

Rubidium

• Bay Watcher
  • Rubidium has RETURNED
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #110595 on: April 17, 2017, 01:20:46 pm »

I was typing up a good story when Google Chrome decided to CRASH!
All my hard work was lost...
Rubidium has RETURNED!

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110596 on: April 17, 2017, 07:38:26 pm »

Alright, I've got this one-year old dog that's still very puppy-like. He's a hair shy of 20 pounds, very energetic, loves to run, eats everything, etc. He's realized that my family puts empty toilet paper rolls in the trash can, at ground level, so he'll run into the bathroom and pull those out to chew on. I've just pulled two away from him and closed the bathroom door when I hear something being thrown around and clattering in the living room. I run in, worried that Dax is on the table again, and see that he's throwing some small, cylindrical object up in the air and across the floor. I chase him, worried that he's got a pen again, and shout for him to drop it. He picks it up and runs to jump in his favorite chair, and I run over and grab it.

It's a Dentastix. Oops.

I throw it back to him instantly and say sorry, but he gives me this look of betrayal anyway. "You gave this to me, why are you chasing me?"
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110597 on: April 19, 2017, 08:03:03 pm »

Just caught a gif on imgur showing a woodpecker breaking open the skull of another bird and eating the brains, and now I think I'm done with the Internet for tonight  :-\
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #110598 on: April 19, 2017, 08:42:47 pm »

Anyone ever vomited a bunch of grey sludge despite eating pretty much nothing all day before?
Been exploring the cataclysm mushrooms without your protective suit lately? :P
(But yeah, never heard of that happening before).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #110599 on: April 19, 2017, 08:53:31 pm »

Found out today that my dad has to have surgery Friday because he suddenly couldn't see out of one eye, it appears to be a detached retina. Not the most debilitiating of problems even if the surgery doesn't work out (as you can get by with one eye relatively well), but still troubling.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #110600 on: April 19, 2017, 10:03:28 pm »

Anyone ever vomited a bunch of grey sludge despite eating pretty much nothing all day before?
Been exploring the cataclysm mushrooms without your protective suit lately? :P
(But yeah, never heard of that happening before).
I should probably bring up that nothing seems to have come of it, I'm fine. I'm going to chalk it up to working 11 hours on my feet with practically nothing consumed but water.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110601 on: April 19, 2017, 10:22:48 pm »

I continue to be pretty much unable to get a decent amount of sleep because dammit roommate it's already 11:30 go to sleep or at least turn off the TV
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110602 on: April 20, 2017, 04:45:38 am »

I should probably bring up that nothing seems to have come of it, I'm fine. I'm going to chalk it up to working 11 hours on my feet with practically nothing consumed but water.

Yeah not eating for a while can make it hard to start eating again because human bodies are wonderful like that :P

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110603 on: April 20, 2017, 11:59:53 am »

I don't know why I'm so torn about this. It's such a stupid problem. I started going back to my Local Game Shop after a two month hiatus to play MTG, only to be reminded why I stopped playing in the first place: I get overemotional and take everything too seriously, and I feel that I'll never find the friendship that I desperately crave from this place. Even though it's a stupid game, I'll get fuckin salty and be mad about it for days afterwards, and then still feel like I haven't even made any social progress to compensate for it.

So I was thinking of just quitting forever, but I'm tormented by thoughts like:

"It's not their fault, it's your fault for not taking the initiative to try being a friend. You're so passive and cowardly..."
"If you just didn't act like a stupid shit man-child, you're life would be so much better right now."
"Why even waste time with this P2W garbage game anyway. How much have you thrown at this over the years? Like a grand? or more? What a waste!"
"Quitting now just proves that the therapist is right. That you're dysthymic and have avoidant personality disorder. Wanting to run away from this just proves that you're mentally sick."
"Why can't you just shut up and enjoy the game? You're overthinking everything as usual. If you could just enjoy things as they come rather than delving deep into the purely intangible and irrelevant shit that is going on in your head, man wouldn't life just be better? But I guess you just can't do that..."
"Am I beating my head against a wall, trying and trying, and simply expecting the unreasonable? Or is this just another facet of the challenge of life and walking away from it just shows that I'm weak and worthless?..."

The prerelease of Amonkhet is this Friday, so I feel I have to make the decision soon. I desperately want someone else to take over control of my life. I just want to give my body and consciousness to someone else, because it is just wasted on me. Anyone else could live life better than I can. I just want to get brain damaged, and get amnesia or something, so I could genuinely start over from the mental and emotional level. I just don't know what to do with myself.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 12:01:38 pm by JoshuaFH »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #110604 on: April 20, 2017, 02:37:14 pm »

(Note: I'm not a therapist, I'm a person on the internet, so as always, grain of salt).
-snip-
First of all I want to say that just because you may have problems does not, in any way, shape, or form, mean that you are weak, worthless, or anything similar to that, nor does it mean that those problems, however small, are "stupid". Second, just the fact that you are making the effort to go out and try to make friends as well as possibly seeing a therapist (I'm inferring that from your comment about one) already shows that you are recognizing any issues you might have and working towards resolving them, which is a great thing!

To me it seems like your biggest cause here is that you are taking things super seriously and getting mad about stuff, and as a person who runs into those same issues here's a list of things that helped me avoid that from happening the most:
  • Most importantly, remember that if you are playing at the proper skill level then that means that you should be losing ~50% of your games. This means that even if you lose every other game despite trying your absolute hardest it's not some intrinsic fault of yours. Heck, this means that in every group of 62 games you play (at 15 games per week this means once per month) you are going to have a streak of 5 losses in a row, just based on the statistics of it.
  • As followup to #1, you can now realize that just because you are losing (possibly as much as every other game) it means that you are by no means a bad player. Heck, if you aren't losing then it probably means that you aren't playing people who are good enough to match your skill level and you need to find some tougher opponents. Losing is therefore actually a good thing; it means that you had the opportunity to play a better or equal opponent, which means an opportunity to learn something you didn't know before. (Despite how good it may feel at times, nobody ever got better as a black-belt by stomping all over untrained opponents; it's only when you risk something by fighting another black-belt that you have the chance to grow and evolve).
  • This may sound strange, but complement your opponents (or teammates) on good plays, regardless of if they planned a move ahead of time or if they just top-decked it luckily (Note: complement them specifically, i.e. "nice play there" as opposed to just a simple "congratulations", which can sound petulant and harsh instead of as a complement). I've found that simply the act of congratulating your opponent is oftentimes enough to help me step back and remember that both of us are here to have fun, and win or lose that should be the ultimate goal. Additionally the simple act of congratulating someone makes them feel better, which helps make you feel better due to biological stuff, and if it was a particularly lucky win then lots of times you might even get a "yeah it was just a lucky draw" back from your opponent to help defuse things even further (all of which can possibly set you up for future interactions/"friendly games" much more easily than one of you walking off in a huff would).
  • All of that said I think the most important thing to remember is that the ultimate goal of any game is to have fun, and to recognize when you aren't having it anymore. There's no shame in stopping for the day when you start to get salty, as long as you remember to remain respectful to your opponent (and congratulate them on their good play if you can). I've had plenty of times where after a 3-5 game loss streak where I just realize that I'm starting to lose control and need to take a bit of a break, but part of that is also recognizing that just because I've lost control doesn't mean I should quit completely as long as I can come back and still have fun later when I'm more in control.
Anyways, the final choice is up to you. I recommend sticking with it because I think that you are stronger than this and shouldn't let it beat you (though you should recognize that there is room for improvement), but it's ultimately up to you.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #110605 on: April 20, 2017, 02:42:41 pm »

I continue to be pretty much unable to get a decent amount of sleep because dammit roommate it's already 11:30 go to sleep or at least turn off the TV

Have you spoken to them about this? Perhaps they don't think they're doing anything wrong.

Do you have any issues using earplugs or a facemask while sleeping? I used them when I was working nights while living in rented accomodation with someone up and about during the day, they worked well for me.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #110606 on: April 20, 2017, 03:51:46 pm »

Coworker got evicted from her house yesterday after an even longer streak of unfortunate events. Now she, her husband, and her grandson are having to find a new place to live on account of her daughter.

It's all fucking stupid and I hate it. She doesn't deserve this.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #110607 on: April 21, 2017, 06:18:19 am »

Dear Bay12, please don't sympathise with me. I don't deserve it, I'm a horrid human being and even more horrid son.

I was unable to contain my rage about the current politic affair in the world and I unleashed it on the person which I love the most: My mother. I started to argue with her and occasionally screaming like crazy, I even told my mother to kill me right now. And she burst into tears, so I had to restrain and hug her while whispering "Calm down, everything will be alright". It's one of the most disgusting and atrocious things I've ever done in my life. I'm an abomination, I didn't deserve to be born in this world...

EDIT: I made peace with my mother. I need to control myself better.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 06:42:41 am by CrocAndBearLover »
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110608 on: April 21, 2017, 08:33:38 am »

You are not an abomination by any stretch of the word.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #110609 on: April 21, 2017, 08:40:15 am »

You are not an abomination by any stretch of the word.

Yes. Yes I am. I am... GULPO!

*eats TBF*
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 08:42:08 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 7372 7373 [7374] 7375 7376 ... 8168