Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7340 7341 [7342] 7343 7344 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9512494 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #110115 on: February 05, 2017, 11:16:41 am »

TL, DR: You won't dodge the "dead rats" issue with dogs, unless your dogs are particularily clumsy.
Naw, I think dogs are a lot more likely to have some sort of [PACIFIST] trait than cats are.   
I've seen dogs live in harmony with all sorts of creatures you'd expect them to murder on sight, even without training to that effect.
Sometimes cats too, I guess? Seems less common, though.    
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #110116 on: February 05, 2017, 11:18:20 am »

Please don't punish a cat for killing a pest animal. I know I know, rats can make cute pets too. Wild rats however, you don't want them. Be grateful to the cat for killing it and saving you from diseases.  It's what they have been domesticated for. That cat won't understand why the hell it got punished.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #110117 on: February 05, 2017, 11:20:31 am »

TL, DR: You won't dodge the "dead rats" issue with dogs, unless your dogs are particularily clumsy.
Naw, I think dogs are a lot more likely to have some sort of [PACIFIST] trait than cats are.   
I've seen dogs live in harmony with all sorts of creatures you'd expect them to murder on sight, even without training to that effect.
Sometimes cats too, I guess? Seems less common, though.    

All you need is love https://youtu.be/IUU_oOBZKko
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #110118 on: February 05, 2017, 11:24:22 am »

Please don't punish a cat for killing a pest animal. I know I know, rats can make cute pets too. Wild rats however, you don't want them. Be grateful to the cat for killing it and saving you from diseases.  It's what they have been domesticated for. That cat won't understand why the hell it got punished.

Bearing in mind the cat brought said pest animal into the house and proceeded to eat it :p

Still rather have a cat, though.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #110119 on: February 05, 2017, 04:33:28 pm »

You can toss the cat outside with their kill or refuse to let them in. Our cats try to bring kills in the house too. Amazing that the 13 year old can still catch birds.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110120 on: February 05, 2017, 05:45:36 pm »

Update: it looks like the cat came back and tore the rat's head off for some reason. Fuckin' brutal.
Booze is Life for Yoink

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #110121 on: February 05, 2017, 05:50:55 pm »

Proper cat it is. If you'd have left the rat corpse outside don't be surprised if it eats it all.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110122 on: February 05, 2017, 06:16:44 pm »

“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #110123 on: February 05, 2017, 06:42:49 pm »

I don't see the problem. The only good rat is a dead rat.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110124 on: February 05, 2017, 07:03:37 pm »

Not always >:
I've never had one but I met one, it was cute.  I'd probably go with a mouse instead, but that's me.
That said, I didn't feel any remorse when my cat killed a mouse and brought it to me.  Particularly since she ate the whole thing...  No wastage.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110125 on: February 05, 2017, 07:50:28 pm »

That's just a Dachshund feature. As the name suggests, they were bred to hunt badgers: They're so small and slinky-like so they can follow the badger into his burrow, denying him the opportunity to just wait out the hunters. They're like the Green Berets of dogs that way. And it's the reason for their fuckhueg ego: You need balls of steel to raid a badger's home.

TL;DR: Dachshund best hund.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110126 on: February 06, 2017, 01:55:59 am »

You're the guy who claimed to value the lives of human children over those of elephants, so I get the feeling our Worldviews are irreconcilably different. :P
That said, I didn't punish the cat, aside from that one small swat on the head when I first caught her with it. Partly because it's not my cat, partly because the cat wouldn't understand, partly because I don't like punishing things anyway. Hopefully that smack is enough to at least dissuade her from bringing me any more dead stuff- she's not holding a grudge about it, so who knows.
Also... diseases? What is this, the middle ages?    

Proper cat it is. If you'd have left the rat corpse outside don't be surprised if it eats it all.
These cats usually just leave their kills lying around all over the place to rot.
If they were actually killing stuff to supplement their diets it wouldn't be so bad... anyway, the rat's mostly gone this morning, with just its head and tail lying there on the carpet. No idea which of the cats took the rest of it, or where it wound up for that matter. Not my problem.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110127 on: February 06, 2017, 03:26:20 am »

really hating that point in a bender where you really can't get drunk anymore no matter how much you drink, mostly it just becomes a variation of keeping the shakes away. wtf tolerance?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #110128 on: February 06, 2017, 08:42:15 am »

really hating that point in a bender where you really can't get drunk anymore no matter how much you drink, mostly it just becomes a variation of keeping the shakes away. wtf tolerance?

I feel your pain Caz. As an alcoholic of significant proportions myself (The only alcoholics that impress me... Are my family. Holy. Fucking. Shit. They can drink like no one I've ever seen.) I rarely get roaring drunk. I usually just get a decent buzz, then maintain it.

Update: it looks like the cat came back and tore the rat's head off for some reason. Fuckin' brutal.
Additional fun fact: Cats play with their prey because it tires the prey out. A cat won't risk being injured as that could potentially be a death sentence.

Also, if they fail to kill the animal with a bite to the neck, they rake it to death. If you don't know what this consists of, they grab it with their front paws, and repeatedly scratch it with the back paws until it dies.

Those back claws are straight nasty by the by. I've watched my (now-deceased) cat, and she RARELY cleaned them. This may be what caused her to get that virulent, fast infection that eventually claimed her life.

My sad for the day... My poor kitty. :'( She got a nail-bed infection. We treated with antibiotics and pregnazone, and the infection retreated some, but then it came back after the antibiotics ran out. We got more antibiotics, but she'd already lost 40% of her weight, and it spread to all four paws, her tail tip, and both ears, and got SIGNIFICANTLY more severe. We had her put down before we'd finished the antibiotics, as the veterinary staff said it was highly unlikely she'd survive at that point.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #110129 on: February 06, 2017, 09:22:47 am »

As a non-alcoholic (I don't even like alcoholic cakes) I have a certain amount of pseudo-scientific curiosity in what my tolerance is like. Not enough, of course, to actually try and see, but it is there.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 7340 7341 [7342] 7343 7344 ... 8168