Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7334 7335 [7336] 7337 7338 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9488106 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #110025 on: January 25, 2017, 10:09:05 am »

I stopped donating to the WWF years ago, because I cannot find peace with the thought that my money is used to kill children.
That's some seriously warped logic right there. Human children are easily replaceable, elephants are not.
And besides, elephants are beautiful, calm creatures when not provoked whereas the scummy shits killing them are, well, scummy shits regardless of their age. Of course I agree that the people hiring said shits and fuelling the idiotic market for ivory are the real villains, and it would be best if the park rangers and such were able to simply march out of the wilderness and riddle those especially-deserving fucks with bullets (and doubtless many of them would gladly volunteer to perform such a heroic task), but I imagine they are kept from doing so by some shitty law system or other that specializes in preying on the weak and the environment. :-\
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #110026 on: January 25, 2017, 10:19:13 am »

I stopped donating to the WWF years ago, because I cannot find peace with the thought that my money is used to kill children.
That's some seriously warped logic right there. Human children are easily replaceable, elephants are not.
Placing the life of an animal over the life of a human (child) would be considered seriously warped logic in a lot of places as well.

Don't get me wrong. Elephants are amazing creatures. Gentle / calm, I wouldn't call them, they're territorial (and homicidal when in territorial defense mode) as fuck, but yeah, I'd mourn the loss of their species as much as anyone.

But if you are killing, be it humans or animals for profit, well, is most likely you are not a children anymore, not even if you are 10.
I have to disagree strongly there. A child cannot be held accountable for it's actions (or suddenly not be considered a child anymore), if only because a child's brain isn't physically capable of regarding consequence. That being said, if you are faced with a child pointing an AK at you, it's completely morally acceptable to kill it. That's a whole different matter.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 10:29:48 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #110027 on: January 25, 2017, 11:20:00 am »

I think it's safe to say that the situation is incredibly fucked up no matter how you look at it.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110028 on: January 25, 2017, 11:30:31 am »

I have to disagree strongly there. A child cannot be held accountable for it's actions (or suddenly not be considered a child anymore), if only because a child's brain isn't physically capable of regarding consequence.
If you are old enough to go around hunting for ivory, it's most likely you are old enough to understand the consequences. Probably not in 100% of the cases, but still.

That being said, if you are faced with a child pointing an AK at you, it's completely morally acceptable to kill it. That's a whole different matter.
Which is really likely something the rangers have to face, since last time I checked, to hunt elephants you need something far more powerful than a toy slingshot.

Poachers, regardless of age, are armed and dangerous, not only to rangers and WWF personnel, but to anyone else trying to stop them.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #110029 on: January 25, 2017, 11:45:46 am »

I have to disagree strongly there. A child cannot be held accountable for it's actions (or suddenly not be considered a child anymore), if only because a child's brain isn't physically capable of regarding consequence.
If you are old enough to go around hunting for ivory, it's most likely you are old enough to understand the consequences. Probably not in 100% of the cases, but still.
No, to a 9 year old child (which is a quite realistic age for a child poacher sadly), it's just a game. A very serious game maybe, but they have no idea they are doing anything illegal, nor can they oversee the possible consequences. They just get handed an AK, to shoot smaller game, and to shoot 'the evil men who try to kill us'.

That being said, if you are faced with a child pointing an AK at you, it's completely morally acceptable to kill it. That's a whole different matter.
Which is really likely something the rangers have to face, since last time I checked, to hunt elephants you need something far more powerful than a toy slingshot.
Nah, you can kill an elephant with AKs just fine. It just takes more bullets, and prolonged elephant agony.

I am quite aware of the reality there. I don't blame the park rangers for killing children. I just personally chose to no longer fund a charity that chooses the addition of more weapons to the mix as a viable solution. There must be better ways to save elephants. And it looks like no amount of park rangers is gonna stop the poachers anyhow.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110030 on: January 25, 2017, 12:13:48 pm »

Ideally it would be education and imprisonment of transgresors. In an ideal world. But we aren't living in an ideal world. Currently the half ass, half effective solution is to keep kilking/scarying poachers as a deterrent.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 12:15:58 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110031 on: January 25, 2017, 12:33:27 pm »

A friend of the family in Boise may not be able to bring his family into the country due to recent executive actions. I remember meeting him and his cousins in the summer when we were going to my dad's reunion, he was pretty excited about getting to see them again.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #110032 on: January 25, 2017, 01:08:20 pm »

Trump hasn't formalized the ban on muslims (or Mexicans) entering the US yet, or has he?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110033 on: January 25, 2017, 01:17:19 pm »

It's looking pretty dicey, and with an aunt working with refugees and an uncle working for the federal government, it's sounding serious.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #110034 on: January 26, 2017, 08:29:47 am »

The IMC is annoying me. :(
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110035 on: January 26, 2017, 04:11:31 pm »

ALAS, SWIMMING, MY ONLY WEAKNESS

AUGH
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110036 on: January 26, 2017, 04:17:34 pm »

Almost sincerely meaning a stupid joke about mispronouncing Finnish.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #110037 on: January 27, 2017, 07:13:03 am »

Humm, on top of the usual "aaa my bowels are not feeling good" deal that i won't even bother getting further into by now, i realize that my anxiety has extended into driving as well. Now, i am a licensed and acceptably capable driver in spite of being a bit rusty, but i get anxious when i am to start driving, and heavily trafficked areas are rather stressful to me (... no shit son). I haven't even been in any accident yet (... while driving), my worst blunder while driving was with the examiner sitting right next to me (who, mind you, is a police officer, and which cost me naught but a failed test), and generally the worst i do is to occasionally forget to use the turn signals (or flash the wrong direction) in areas where it doesn't make much of a difference, and yet... I get nervous about having to drive. Fuckin' subconscious. >.>
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110038 on: January 27, 2017, 08:03:29 am »

Driving makes me nervous too.  It's a reasonable response IMHO.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #110039 on: January 27, 2017, 11:24:20 am »

Oh yes, i doubt ANYONE likes to drive on heavily trafficked roads (and driving on empty rural roads is actually kind of relaxing), but the thing is that i am aware of this being a new thing; i didn't feel like this to begin with. Back then, it was my relative inexperience that made me a bit nervous, now it's a bit more nebulous, and a bit stronger than before. I suspect it's my usual fear of fucking up that's doing it. :I
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER
Pages: 1 ... 7334 7335 [7336] 7337 7338 ... 8167