Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7313 7314 [7315] 7316 7317 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9488023 times)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #109710 on: December 25, 2016, 10:29:19 am »

Quote from: Shadowlord link=topic=43236.msg7306079#msg7306079
If you can acquire Discworld books (I have them on my phone, for instance), those are incredibly funny.
If you have ideas you want to write down, you can do that on a phone too (google docs? I like onenote, but don't know if it's on android/ios).
I know.
I read them all. Few times.
I've read fucking encyclopedias out of boredom before, though, so I guess I can read Discworld again.
There's also Watts' Blindsight series. It's rather hard SF. He's a gloomy and pretentious fucker, but all in all not a bad writer.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #109711 on: December 25, 2016, 11:04:02 am »

My computer is broke, I abhor reading on mobile devices and libraries closed.
:]
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #109712 on: December 25, 2016, 02:41:30 pm »

Had to get the fucking car out of the fucking snowbank again.

Why can't we just sell it and buy something with more than four inches ground clearance and 4wd. Like I dunno a truck? I'm sick of dragging the fucker out of the snow.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #109713 on: December 25, 2016, 02:49:52 pm »

Police?

Because 1) It's disturbing you and 2) If any abuse is happening, it may be an idea to get them involved.
Don't know if I would recommend that. Depending on what's happening when the police are called, well, bad things might happen. Bear in mind that when you call police on people who aren't expecting a visit from the police, the results can be... unexpected. Police don't know what's going on as they go in, the people inside obviously have no clue they are about to get an unexpected visit, and people might reach such as to produce unexpected outcomes, in a way that would be at cross-purposes with your goal of "helping". Depends on what the police of your locale are trained to do and allowed to do, but in my experience, the results can be... mixed.

If you just want them quiet merely appear at the door and make it clear that if things do not quiet down (or if you really want to help, say "If what I am hearing does not stop"), that your next step will be the police. The threat of police can be more helpful than the presence of police. If you really want to call, do it, but try to make sure police would help the situation and not add to the volatility.

Also personally I consider occasional thoughts of suicide to be a healthy part of an examined life. Thinking about it rationally is why I didn't do it. It's most dangerous when seen as a polite out, which it really isn't. It's literally a mortal offense against *everyone* you know. It's cowardly and maybe worst of all, lazy. There's so much good to be done, and crazy stuff to see, when you aren't afraid of death.
Not a huge fan of any of your logic to be honest. Like, about any of it at all. There is maybe one or two thoughts here that I don't strongly disagree with. But a lot of people seem to believe it, so oh well.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #109714 on: December 25, 2016, 04:06:56 pm »

Turns out the Empire Total War campaign is just... shit. The factions at the start are the only factions you can play unless you plan on doing more linear campaigns or a short campaign (Last mission of road to independence).

I want to play as the Thirteen colonies or something, but according to the devs, it would take too many system resources, which actually sounds like code for 'We didn't want to bother'

Easy solution. Mod it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #109715 on: December 27, 2016, 09:06:16 am »

Had to work Boxing day, pulled something in back, and still in enough pain to take today off. As annoying as the pain is what I really hate is leaving my colleagues in the lurch; Our department is understaffed and the workload is larger than usual for the days after Christmas. I also realise how bad it looks to phone in sick this time of year.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #109716 on: December 27, 2016, 01:07:03 pm »

So Carrie Fisher suffered a heart attack midflight and is in critical condition.

Posted here because though I'm not emptionally invested I dont like people having health problems.

In the end she didn't make it. Not a complete surprise as things were looking grim by what little info was leaked. :(

http://people.com/movies/carrie-fisher-dies/

EDIT:
Looking back, it's kind of a grim coincidence that both she and Peter Cushing were played by CGI in Rogue One :(
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 01:10:53 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #109717 on: December 27, 2016, 02:39:55 pm »

RIP Carrie Fisher, fuck off 2016.

Not entirely played by CGI. There were still actors and actresses doing the movements and delivering the lines, they just layered the physical appearances on top. Which, frankly, is where character CGI's future is: mo-capped actors delivering their lines on-set. Just as CGI for objects and shit should do what Rogue One did with the space battles, mixing genuine prop cockpit/bridge shots with CGI ships made to look as much like models as possible, even to the point of doing mo-cap and layering it over actual models. CGI work is best when it supplements reality rather than replacing it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109718 on: December 27, 2016, 05:16:14 pm »

So Carrie Fisher suffered a heart attack midflight and is in critical condition.

Posted here because though I'm not emptionally invested I dont like people having health problems.

In the end she didn't make it. Not a complete surprise as things were looking grim by what little info was leaked. :(
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109719 on: December 27, 2016, 06:20:11 pm »

MAAAAANNNNNCCCCCHHHHHUUUUU!!!!!

S.A.D. makes me sad today.

And my clothes were messed up by parent, so I can't go out today.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 06:26:19 pm by BorkBorkGoesTheCode »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109720 on: December 27, 2016, 06:56:01 pm »

Ameripol

Also the fact that my phone has somehow learned that is a "word."
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109721 on: December 27, 2016, 07:00:21 pm »

There may be a user-editable dictionary somewhere in your phone's files.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109722 on: December 27, 2016, 07:03:56 pm »

There is, I just don't remember teaching it that.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109723 on: December 27, 2016, 07:52:45 pm »

http://www.remar.se/daniel/iji.php

This game here made me sad, kinda happy too.
I just really wanted to post it somewhere and tell somebody that they should play it.

Metroidvania style, story sort of like an hfy, be stealthy or not. Uhmm yeah this is a good game.
Anyway bye.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109724 on: December 27, 2016, 07:59:12 pm »

Iji is a good game! I quite enjoyed it.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 7313 7314 [7315] 7316 7317 ... 8167