Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7312 7313 [7314] 7315 7316 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9488067 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #109695 on: December 25, 2016, 01:03:59 am »

Hit a biker on the road.

He wasn't hurt (despite his claims to the contrary) but his bike needed repairs.

So you're sad... he wasn't hurt?

ba dum tish
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #109696 on: December 25, 2016, 01:15:17 am »

Downstairs neighbors are having a domestic for what must be the third night in a row. It's Christmas Eve for fuck's sake, hold it together or one of you get a hotel room.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #109697 on: December 25, 2016, 01:19:09 am »

We got even more snow. A couple inches of super fine powder that gets into everything. The wood we had delivered is actually starting to become slightly soggy too.
Weather reports suggest this isn't going to stop any time soon.

And were broke and well be spending the whole of this next week in the house trying really hard not to freeze to death. and I don't have a job, nobody's replying to my applications. And my student loans are going to start going through this next month. If I can't find a job, my parents can't support my student loan payments. They can't pay my fathers payments. I'll never escape from this hell hole, and I don't know wtf to do about it except keep posting more and more applications
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109698 on: December 25, 2016, 01:25:59 am »

I just had a lump of my tooth fall out.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #109699 on: December 25, 2016, 01:30:12 am »

I had to dissuade a friend from suicide last week after a friend of his let him down on playing a video game together. Now, his parents are fighting on Christmas and talking about divorce, leading to him coming to me with suicidal thoughts again, possibly more seriously this time. I know it's a good sign that he's at least talking to someone about his problems, but it's a heavy burden for me to bear.

Being a good friend is hard.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #109700 on: December 25, 2016, 01:45:33 am »

Hit a biker on the road.

He wasn't hurt (despite his claims to the contrary) but his bike needed repairs.

So you're sad... he wasn't hurt?

ba dum tish

No, I'm sad I had to pay for repairs.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #109701 on: December 25, 2016, 02:30:36 am »

In my experienct, people who are vocal about committing suicide usually are not going to do it, they are just guilt tripping you into giving them affection (not nescessarily a conscious act), especially if it's about something as silly as 'muh friend didn't want to play computer games with me'.

Divorcing parents however is shit, and something worth offering support and affection for.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #109702 on: December 25, 2016, 02:35:26 am »

In my experienct, people who are vocal about committing suicide usually are not going to do it, they are just guilt tripping you into giving them affection (not nescessarily a conscious act), especially if it's about something as silly as 'muh friend didn't want to play computer games with me'.

Divorcing parents however is shit, and something worth offering support and affection for.
Yes, I am absolutely just attempting to guilt trip people when I mention suicide. I am never serious about it whatsoever, I just want affection from people. /s

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #109703 on: December 25, 2016, 03:40:15 am »

Guilt Tripping >_> Maaaaan. Stigma still sticks hard in describing the impression from another.
When people say suicide, they bloody mean it. If there was ANOTHER WORD, it'd be used. Suicide goes along the theme with one's perception of the self--you can say disappear, etc, whathave you, the meaning is what's important as it's what's being worked with by the person.
Now saying things doesn't necessarily mean they'll do it, but the thought at the time it had occurred was pretty real.

When people gross over//cover the idea of suicide in commonplace, this is the part usually forgotten--the context, of the timeline, of exactly when and where thoughts occur.

And it's pretty much taken very seriously.

But in casual times--when used totally out of context that it could be taken very differently, like over the internet with itself being as the only context, take it seriously anyway. You'll be following whatever you do -up later on, and that's what also matters.

E: And to clarify--the notion of 'doing it for guilt tripping' is only a grain of truth into it (It's only true for the more 'casual' occurrences, and even then, exceptionally rare); but it's that there is truth -- and at times that matters usually to those who commonly experience it in the abstract that the meaning may have a different idea to them...and/or given how widespread the idea is, it can be very diluted for those who may not have a better way in communicating, at the time when it was said. [Of course this can't describe everything :v as that'll be describing quite a lot that takes a lot more time, but the point is it can be said casually or otherwise--what matters is that it's taken seriously, even if the person saying it may have just said it or learned it by passive observation, by observing others and the effect it has caused--hence why I mention the "follow up" being important. Many instances of observing people saying this can be really mixed from a lack of context.]

But it ISN'T TRUE that it's guilt tripping as a valid generality. -_- When someone says that--there's mostly always context that observers do not know. And it is best to help them out or connect to them more rather than leave them. This context is important.
Beware of the depth of what context you're delving into. :-\

Edit2: And yes nobody here is saying that it usually is [lesser form of meaning]. All the pointyness here was to any reasoning that it really is like such. :P
...Moreso that I'm just :I at all the mental health stigma wafting about that aren't connected to any one person.
And how these impressions can stick. >_<
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 04:22:24 am by Tiruin »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #109704 on: December 25, 2016, 04:22:26 am »

Part of Alexandrov Ensemble was killed in a Tupolev crash :c

Damn Tupolevs, always crashing with VIPs on board...
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #109705 on: December 25, 2016, 05:15:39 am »

What Tiruin said. Regardless of whether or not my friend is/was serious about it, I have to react. It is much worse to leave someone who needs affection without it, than to give it to someone who doesn't.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109706 on: December 25, 2016, 05:26:12 am »

Sick on christmas eve.

.                  .

Yep, me too. I was feeling fine on the 23rd. And I got woken up an hour ago (~4 AM!) by a smoke alarm whose battery was getting low.

Anyone has an idea what could I do?
Spending Christmas alone, don't have anywhere to go, my computer is dead enough to prevent from doing anything really... I'm not sure what could I do. I just sit and play shitty games on my mobile stuff but that's getting boring. Don't really have a book to read. TV is shit. Eh, I just don't know.

If you can acquire Discworld books (I have them on my phone, for instance), those are incredibly funny.
If you have ideas you want to write down, you can do that on a phone too (google docs? I like onenote, but don't know if it's on android/ios).

Whoaaaa. How would you feel if people pushed you away when you just were just looking for someone to show that they care? Even if you're not depressed, being pushed away and rejected still doesn't make you feel good, does it?

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #109707 on: December 25, 2016, 07:57:24 am »

[quote author=Shadowlord link=topic=43236.msg7306079#msg7306079
If you can acquire Discworld books (I have them on my phone, for instance), those are incredibly funny.
If you have ideas you want to write down, you can do that on a phone too (google docs? I like onenote, but don't know if it's on android/ios).
[/quote]
I know.
I read them all. Few times.
I've read fucking encyclopedias out of boredom before, though, so I guess I can read Discworld again.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #109708 on: December 25, 2016, 09:40:49 am »

I love the Boggle the Owl thing, and I would have to agree it's not really the best idea to dismiss someone expressing desire for suicide as "a guilt trip for affection", conscious or otherwise.

Suicide is a serious thing, and chances are that someone who says they want to kill themselves has put some serious thought into the idea. Depression also doesn't make sense a lot of the time, so it doesn't really matter what reason is expressed for suicidal thoughts/feelings, as there could be a lot of rationalization going on in the background: "[x event] made me feel [y emotion] so it must be the reason I want to kill myself."

It could even just be a case of the straw that broke the camels back.

IcyTea, being there for someone is hard, but a lot of the time all they need is someone to listen. Doesn't make it any easier for you to cope with, but good friends are hard to come by. You're doing a good thing.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109709 on: December 25, 2016, 10:16:47 am »

Well it certainly can be a guilt trip for affection, particularly when it continues to work. Like hypothetically, someone going out for lightless night cycling. "Nobody cares [I'm not getting my way] so I'm gonna go do a stupid dangerous thing, have fun without me"

I *get* acting out for attention, I do it... a lot. Via alcohol, and other ways. But maybe my personal experiences left me unable to automatically 100% take every threat of self-harm seriously. It only encouraged him.

Also personally I consider occasional thoughts of suicide to be a healthy part of an examined life. Thinking about it rationally is why I didn't do it. It's most dangerous when seen as a polite out, which it really isn't. It's literally a mortal offense against *everyone* you know. It's cowardly and maybe worst of all, lazy. There's so much good to be done, and crazy stuff to see, when you aren't afraid of death.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 7312 7313 [7314] 7315 7316 ... 8167