Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7278 7279 [7280] 7281 7282 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9493221 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #109185 on: November 19, 2016, 05:38:06 am »

Gamedragon, are there any other activities that you can use to make yourself feel better?  Preferably something that's not inherently addictive and self-damaging.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #109186 on: November 19, 2016, 06:01:00 am »

EDIT: Oops, wrong thread
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 06:43:55 am by Felissan »
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #109187 on: November 19, 2016, 08:36:39 am »

Usually it's done as a cry for help, and as an attempt to feel in control of something. Especially when in a life-situation that feels bad, out of your control, and/or hopeless.

It's affect regulation more often than a cry for help. Self-harm literally has almost identical effects to taking antidepressants. I say this as someone who stopped a matter of days after starting on sertraline.

Gamedragon, are there any other activities that you can use to make yourself feel better?

Seconding this, and I assure you there are! Any form of exercise, especially cardiovascular exercise. I used to do high-intensity bodyweight/muscle-building exercises sometimes instead of cutting. If you push hard enough, it hurts. But it's good for you.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #109188 on: November 19, 2016, 09:02:43 am »

Cutting releases the body's painkillers called endorphins which feel really good. It is one way of coping, though not recommnded.

I third the notion to find something else to do. Arx's advice regarding weight lifting is very good. As a rule of thumb, to avoid the pits of depression go with "always try to be doing something". That in itself is sometimes very hard to start doing.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #109189 on: November 19, 2016, 09:06:30 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Since PMs are a bit slow, you've mentioned that there are folks over at your school that you can meet and get help from--inquire about the process of CBT or look it up yourself (and follow-it-up with aid from professionals who can guide you along with it), alongside what others have said here, you can control and occupy the thought process with alternative action and mindsets. It's both avoiding and facing aversive and negative feelings that may come due to environmental stress, pressure and otherwise that's part of the goal. Keep those aids consistent in mind, and reinforce them.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109190 on: November 19, 2016, 09:23:12 am »

I Am Not A Therapist, but my suggestion: Cry
Easier said than done, you may think, but you can find things that will make you cry.

No guarantee that any of these work for you, but I think the first two (which are japanese VNs with english translations) are likely to since they're basically expertly designed to create that emotional response:
I cried a lot playing Steins;Gate (the VN), in the second half of the game. (I don't know if the anime has the same effect, also, the english port I played was from JAST; the one on steam is from MAGES instead (I saw some reviews that said the translation was worse).)
Also, 'planetarian ~the reverie of a little planet~' (which is on steam) made me cry too.
And listening to Loreena McKennitt's song "The Highwayman"
And listening to Leonard Cohen's song "You Want It Darker," and less so (tearing up instead of crying) Jeff Buckley's cover of Cohen's song "Hallelujah"

P.S. http://www.lifehack.org/307964/5-reasons-why-people-who-cry-lot-are-mentally-strong
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109191 on: November 19, 2016, 10:44:32 am »

I don't know whether it's relevant, but I feel a lot better today after I road my rusty bike 15 miles to do some errands.
I haven't done *aerobic* exercise in a while (not to mention the air's full of smoke).  My everything hurts, especially my hands and the place a bicycle seat goes.  My right leg keeps panging as if I pulled something.  I had to pull over and gasp for over a minute on one hill, I was actually a little scared of passing out (exercise-induced asthma).

All that hurt is making me feel a lot better, and instead of new knuckle scars I'm just a little bit more in shape.  The endorphins were good too (though I'm glad I didn't post when I was feeling them... jeez, some of the thoughts I had!)
It's also completely replacing my urge to drink.  Exercise:  The best type of self-harm!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109192 on: November 19, 2016, 11:18:33 am »

All of these and talk to someone.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109193 on: November 19, 2016, 05:07:26 pm »

Fuck I just need to vent today. Not necessarily stuff that's recent, but stuff regardless.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 05:16:29 pm by Iceblaster »

Boatsniper

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep Moving Forward
    • View Profile

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #109195 on: November 19, 2016, 08:19:28 pm »

I Am Not A Therapist, but my suggestion: Cry
Easier said than done, you may think, but you can find things that will make you cry.

No guarantee that any of these work for you, but I think the first two (which are japanese VNs with english translations) are likely to since they're basically expertly designed to create that emotional response:
I cried a lot playing Steins;Gate (the VN), in the second half of the game. (I don't know if the anime has the same effect, also, the english port I played was from JAST; the one on steam is from MAGES instead (I saw some reviews that said the translation was worse).)
Also, 'planetarian ~the reverie of a little planet~' (which is on steam) made me cry too.
And listening to Loreena McKennitt's song "The Highwayman"
And listening to Leonard Cohen's song "You Want It Darker," and less so (tearing up instead of crying) Jeff Buckley's cover of Cohen's song "Hallelujah"

P.S. http://www.lifehack.org/307964/5-reasons-why-people-who-cry-lot-are-mentally-strong
This is good, but also: Smile

Don't just do one, do both. Find something that makes you happy, and then makes you sad. Find something you can get involved in.

watch gravity falls but seriously, watch it, it's lighthearted, but still manages to convey a lot of emotions. Also isn't that long.

I also highly recommend Over the Garden Wall. PM me if you want links and I'll find them, but yeah, watching cartoons generally helps me feel better.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #109196 on: November 19, 2016, 10:31:25 pm »

I just remembered that my maternal grandpa is extremely homophobic. Yeah, that one.

Welp, there's a decent chance of that relationship (admittedly strained already) going away.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109197 on: November 19, 2016, 10:32:37 pm »

*hugs Iceblaster*

One:You are an awesome person.

Two:Good luck.

I just remembered that my maternal grandpa is extremely homophobic. Yeah, that one.

Welp, there's a decent chance of that relationship (admittedly strained already) going away.
:(
*hugs*
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109198 on: November 19, 2016, 11:20:10 pm »

Pfft, what's the point of CPS, DSS, or whatever those services are? They're just decorations so people can feel good about having a useless organization to take care of a horrific problem. Completely worthless.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109199 on: November 19, 2016, 11:23:04 pm »

...What happened?
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 7278 7279 [7280] 7281 7282 ... 8167