Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7277 7278 [7279] 7280 7281 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9493304 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #109170 on: November 18, 2016, 05:42:40 pm »

make it stop

Wow, that is not ok at all.
Religious F-what. o_O

...Wow. So many things to mention that are compiled under one whole theme that says: This is stupid. Especially given all the things said during the campaign about support?
Really thinly veiled reasoning under 'freedom' there.

Is that website satirical? :/

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #109171 on: November 18, 2016, 06:01:19 pm »

I'm sorry, but did anybody read the actual text. It has a point right in it which says "Notwithstanding any other provision of law". Discrimination laws have been in place for ages, including the wage gap myth. I am a bit sleepy right now but nowhere do I see it giving the freedom to fire an employee based on it. The way I imagine it is that if somebody got into a fight regarding it, and the attacker claims moral or religious basis, then he can't be punished for it. It is a kind of a loophole as the article says, however I seriously doubt it's as bad as it sounds.

Did we also forget that the west is the most liberal place on the entire planet and any person or company that takes discriminatory action will most definitely be taking a huge risk to its reputation and maybe the law?

The way I see it, this law might actually protect one's right of free speech regarding increasingly politically correct topics. Giving speech from one group while taking from another is not free speech at all. Yes, even legit hate speech is a part of free speech.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 06:19:02 pm by apiks »
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #109172 on: November 18, 2016, 06:14:30 pm »

Did we also forget that the west is the most liberal place on the entire planet and any person or company that takes discriminatory action will most definitely be taking a huge risk to its reputation and maybe the law?

The way I see it, this law might actually protect one's right of free speech regarding increasingly politically correct topics. Giving speech from one group while taking from another is not free speech at all. Yes, even legit hate speech is a part of free speech.
That first paragraph's superlatives ...seem off in a way.
And 'politically correct'...has what connection to firing people over a 'religious basis'? It would make more sense if this religious basis was held within reason, but there have been many reports from the west about people being discriminated just because, without due reasoning. (Wherein 'just because' usually goes along the theme of 'being generalized just because they're [minority group in a way]') :-\
It's incomplete to denote free speech as the endpoint when the precedent around hate speech is lacking in that manner.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #109173 on: November 18, 2016, 06:17:04 pm »

Free speech includes "wrong" speech, you realise? Hate speech has as much right as any other, though I would hope most would not listen to it.

Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dozebôm Lolumzalės

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #109174 on: November 18, 2016, 06:35:26 pm »

I'm sorry, but did anybody read the actual text.
Yeah, I did. It says things like
Laws that protect the free exercise of religious beliefs and moral convictions about marriage will encourage private citizens and institutions to demonstrate tolerance for those beliefs and convictions and therefore contribute to a more respectful, diverse, and peaceful society.
Yeah, except there's a difference between "the free exercise of religious beliefs" and "I'm firing you because you are TEH GAYS."
It has a point right in it which says "Notwithstanding any other provision of law".[/quote]
It says this:
Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the Federal Government shall not take any discriminatory action against a person, wholly or partially on the basis that such person believes or acts in accordance with a religious belief or moral conviction that marriage is or should be recognized as the union of one man and one woman, or that sexual relations are properly reserved to such a marriage.
If you discriminate against somebody because they are TEH GAYS, as long as you don't violate any laws against murder or physical harm or whatever, you're doing fine and nothing is illegal. That's what it says.
Discrimination laws have been in place for ages
And this makes anti-discrimination-against-LGBTQ laws illegal (at least on the federal level).
including the wage gap myth.
Oh really? "Myth" you say? Do you have any evidence, facts, or data to back that up?
I am a bit sleepy right now but nowhere do I see it giving the freedom to fire an employee based on it.
Then I'll excuse you for making such an egregious error. It disallows the government from prohibiting such behavior; in a sense, it gives people that freedom. Not explicitly though. Of course not.
The way I imagine it is that if somebody got into a fight regarding it, and the attacker claims moral or religious basis, then he can't be punished for it.
And that doesn't sound bad to you?
It is a kind of a loophole as the article says, however I seriously doubt it's as bad as it sounds.
It makes LGBTQ people a 2nd class citizen! People can discriminate against them and there's no legal restriction against doing so! It's not as bad as Jim Crow, but it's a step in that direction.
Did we also forget that the west is the most liberal place on the entire planet
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

wait

you're serious

wtf?
and any person or company that takes discriminatory action will most definitely be taking a huge risk to its reputation and maybe the law?
Its reputation? No, because people will go to Wal-Mart regardless. The law? Haha, this bill will disallow any legal action against discriminatory behavior! That's why it's so bad!
The way I see it, this law might actually protect one's right of free speech regarding increasingly politically correct topics.
Free speech is one thing. Free action is another.
Giving speech from one group while taking from another is not free speech at all.
Well maybe that's why I don't advocate against free speech, because this bill is not about free speech.
Yes, even legit hate speech is a part of free speech.
And this bill goes beyond hate speech and into hate action.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109175 on: November 18, 2016, 07:18:47 pm »

Yay forced interaction. I feel like I want to claw my own skin off.

Time to blare music in my ears and glare at people until I feel alone.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109176 on: November 18, 2016, 07:26:14 pm »

Well, I certainly know that feeling. I'm sure many others in here do, too.
Hang in there.

@Everyone else: Politics in the emotion threads, again? Yeah great going guys shift that crap over to a pol thread please and thank you. ::)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #109177 on: November 18, 2016, 07:27:39 pm »

Hey, you're one to talk mr. Alcohol in happy thread :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #109178 on: November 18, 2016, 08:17:00 pm »

For some reason, the muscles and tendons of my right arm, along with that side of my neck, have been really out of wack for a good while now, and don't seem to be getting better. I suppose I'll have to check with a doctor or something, but this really does suck.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109179 on: November 18, 2016, 08:30:49 pm »

*hugs Amp*
Go to a doctor, yeah.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #109180 on: November 19, 2016, 02:44:39 am »

finished watching gravity falls

normally sad media just makes my eyes well up, if its really sad, but only undertale (not the actual game, a fan-thing) has made me full-on cry before.

just full-on cried, with moaning, twice in the last episode. its really good

i highly recommend
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #109181 on: November 19, 2016, 02:48:04 am »

"Kids, you knuckleheads were a nuisance and I'm glad to be rid of you."

*hug*

The feels  :'(
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #109182 on: November 19, 2016, 03:24:44 am »

I missed a topic of conversation I have actual information to supply to and replying to it would obviously just be me being a passive-aggressive petty douchebag as usual.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #109183 on: November 19, 2016, 04:21:25 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109184 on: November 19, 2016, 04:51:38 am »

Not "is supposed to be". Try "is".

Usually it's done as a cry for help, and as an attempt to feel in control of something. Especially when in a life-situation that feels bad, out of your control, and/or hopeless.

But yeah, self harm is absolutely bad. It's undeserved. It's destructive, not constructive. It doesn't change whatever's making you suffer or feel powerless; only acting to change those things does. If part of you feels that self-harm is deserved because you're suffering... that's a mental feedback loop that leads you nowhere.

I said it to you before. I've been there. You've got to change this habit, face your situation, and work at it until it's better.
Pages: 1 ... 7277 7278 [7279] 7280 7281 ... 8167