Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7275 7276 [7277] 7278 7279 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9494085 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #109140 on: November 17, 2016, 12:52:00 pm »

Is the sad that you don't want to, or is the sad that you are?
Yeah, mostly the first one.  I'm pretty resigned to it, so I'd like to enjoy it.  I do love them, a lot, I'm just not ready to face them and their judgement.

This Thanksgiving dealy is kinda a perfect storm, too.
It's a week long thing, usually in places with very poor internet.  My laptop hasn't arrived back yet.  The old liberals are pretty fun to listen to for a while, but only for a while, and we actually have very little in common.
I'm still probably expected to sleep on a couch despite paying a full share, due to seniority.  Which never bothered me before, but now I'm less cool with spending a bunch of money on that shit.

It's a week in close proximity with my dad, and all the alcohol I could possibly want.  I'm not strong right now, this is a recipe for fucking disaster.  Not to mention all the pounds I'll gain from stress eating.

Oh and I promised Thanksgiving day itself to the other side of my family, which is a 4 hour drive to the *beach*, and I've wimped out of actually telling my dad yet.

There are a lot of things I could do to make this easier, but instead I gave myself a hangover.  Every time I start getting a handle on my new life, my parents try to help and it all crashes down in a pile of insecurity.  I just want to curl up in a ball and ignore them.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #109141 on: November 17, 2016, 01:16:07 pm »

My mom has breast cancer.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109142 on: November 17, 2016, 02:03:16 pm »

I think I'm the dumbest person in my class.
You aren't.

... *hugs* :(

@Rolan:Do the things that can help, they'll help.  No hangovers.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #109143 on: November 17, 2016, 02:06:58 pm »

I cross fingers for the diagnosis being in time to cure it. As long as it's still localized, it's very treatable.
Good luck and hugs
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109144 on: November 17, 2016, 02:20:50 pm »

I remember reading an article somewhere that squeezing boobs can prevent breast cancer in women.

But yeah, that does suck, I hope she can pull through without losing anything.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109145 on: November 17, 2016, 02:21:47 pm »

Spehss_, *hugs* and virtual flowers 💐 for your mom, and what martinuzz said, hopefully treatment goes well and doesn't destroy her finances.

Cinder, what class is this?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #109146 on: November 17, 2016, 02:26:23 pm »

That's tough to hear. I remember when my Aunt got it, and it really shocked me. She's perfectly fine now, though, so remember that happy endings are actually really common.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #109147 on: November 17, 2016, 06:15:17 pm »

You can draw.

I can't.

I'd say that qualifies as a good degree of intellect right there.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109148 on: November 17, 2016, 10:32:25 pm »

Y'know how Facebook does that thing, where it shows you stuff you posted on the same day years ago, giving you an option to share it as a memory?
Well, this morning when I logged in I was greeted with a post from four years ago, a lovely picture of a plate of scrambled eggs and toast with Vegemite, accompanied by a mug of coffee on the table on the back verandah at my old house. You know what, I'll just post the photo itself.
Spoiler: What a pleasant scene. (click to show/hide)

Now, and apparently back then I was living in my first share house. I am still living in a sharehouse now, four years later, and so much and yet so little has changed.
The people I lived with back then were incredibly nice, just lovely people. Really they were basically the best one could hope for when moving in with a bunch of total strangers, it should have been a great time. And I did enjoy it for a while, the house was beautiful, everyone was nice to me (apart from maybe one woman, kind of the boss of the house, expecting me to do dishes fairly regularly), it was in a great, scenic neighbourhood with a lot of character and there was a bus stop right across the street from which you could easily reach the city.

But before long-- well, I'm not actually sure just how long I lived there, I think it was a while so it didn't happen too quickly-- I started to develop an irrational dislike of these people. It soon upgraded to what honestly felt like hatred at times. I can't remember exactly what thoughts and feelings led to this, but at the base of it I think it was my anxiety, constantly keeping me on edge in a shared dwelling, perhaps added to by my impaired hearing.
I remember faintly hearing people moving about the house and feeling too shy to go see what they were up to and/or join them, which ended up becoming dislike. And if I heard someone laugh, I would jump to the illogical conclusion that they were talking about me, mocking me for whatever reason.

Living with people seems to be something I just can't cope with. I need space. When I live with someone there's constant anxiety that I might have to interact with my housemates, and whenever I leave my room and enter a common area it's like going into a warzone.
When I am in my room I find myself compelled to be as quiet as possible, fearing to make any noise that might be heard outside, and the slightest sound I hear from my housemates becomes massively loud and irritating to me.
It's almost as though my subconscious desperately tries to come up with reasons to hate whoever I'm living with, rather than just accepting that my fears and dislikes are irrational, hence the near-paranoia I described earlier.

I ended up leaving that house very abruptly, getting my mother (probably the root cause of my mental issues, truth be told) to come pick me up with my stuff as I somehow forced myself to go to the room of two of my housemates, a middle-aged couple who basically ran the house, and telling them I was leaving. Quite a scary thing to do, for me- far too confrontational.
Obviously I didn't really have a reason other than I couldn't cope with living with people, but they were as always extraordinarily accepting and understanding. I think they got the fact that I had anxiety issues around other people and they forgave that. And so, with a brief goodbye to my other housemate (who heard me carrying my stuff out to the car and came out to express surprise that I was leaving), I gave up and fled the situation for no real reason outside of my neurosis; a recurring theme in my life to be sure.

Since then, I've experienced this phenomenon on several other occasions.
Obviously my current housemates are far, far worse than those lovely people I lived with four years ago, but from what I remember I disliked those ones just as much as I do these ones for far less reason. And even when I lived in Melbourne until earlier this year, living with a couple of old friends from high school and earlier, I began to despise them for mostly-non-existent reasons as well. There was one other housemate (later two) whom I had actual reason to dislike, with his loud, braying voice piercing through the whole house as he blathered on at length about any inconsequential topic interspersed by a variety of annoying verbal tics, but I am more saddened by how living with my "friends" turned me against them for pretty much no reason.
The smallest inconvenience would inflate to a huge issue and a personal attack against me. I even started hating them simply because their lives were so much more successful, and they had so much more "gumption" than me, basically. They had far more friends than I did and generally seemed far better equipped to cope with the world.
...Great, so I can add "jealousy" to the list of irrational feelings that make it impossible for me to live with people. Hadn't really thought of that before.

Anyway, this rant is running out of steam. I probably had more points I wanted to address about my failings in life, but I'm hungry now and have forgotten them.
Basically, social anxiety rules my life, destroys anything good in it and keeps everything I want out of reach forever.

...Oh jeez, this has become a huge wall of text. I'm sorry, but well. I am Sad, and this is the Sad thread.
I would spoiler the whole mess, but that would mess up the spoiler around the image up there and generally wreck everything. How about a Tl;dr?

Tl;Dr: Yoink recounts his many failures in the realm of shared accommodation, which until such a day as he manages to somehow get his shit together and find profitable employment, is the only form of accommodation he is reasonably able to afford. This is rather upsetting for Yoink and for some reason he decided to have a big whine this morning. 
What a lame jerk.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #109149 on: November 18, 2016, 12:53:25 am »

@Yoink: Hope speaking about it makes you feel better.

As for myself, making plans with friends is hard enough usually, but when someone else does the planning, and you make a concerted effort to find out when and where, make definite affirmations of going, only to change your mind at the last minute because a few people couldn't make it, for the honestly cowardly reason of not wanting a one on one dinner/gathering to be awkward/waste of time. I feel like a jerk for talking big and enthusiastic, then just saying I'm passing on this evening, especially to that one friend who sent the invite in the first place.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109150 on: November 18, 2016, 01:01:06 am »

*hugs Yoink*
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #109151 on: November 18, 2016, 01:04:50 am »

You can draw.

I can't.

I'd say that qualifies as a good degree of intellect right there.
Not really. I mean, it doesn't hurt, but I've known the most incredibly stupid people who could draw.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #109152 on: November 18, 2016, 01:07:38 am »

Facebook memories thing is pure cancer, especially when it comes to shared memories with people you're not on good terms with anymore.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109153 on: November 18, 2016, 08:42:15 am »

Sigtext

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #109154 on: November 18, 2016, 08:59:08 am »

I prefer to think of it this way: People that decide to discriminate will lose business. Those that don't will be more successful.

Except it doesn't work that way. Any successful business is going to be successful because it is in a good location, has good prices, and/or has high product selection/quality. People will put up with just about anything for factors like that - just like all the union people that still shop at Walmart because it is the only decent place to buy clothes and household goods within a reasonable distance.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 7275 7276 [7277] 7278 7279 ... 8167