Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7250 7251 [7252] 7253 7254 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9498720 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #108765 on: November 02, 2016, 04:50:10 pm »

Oh, okay! I was picturing all sorts of Frankensteinian malpractice crap.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #108766 on: November 02, 2016, 04:59:19 pm »

Oh, okay! I was picturing all sorts of Frankensteinian malpractice crap.
Nope, that's just Doctor Titty's specialty apparently.

(We call him that cuz his name is like, Tsivitse or something. And he's a tit.)
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #108767 on: November 02, 2016, 05:15:20 pm »

Heheh.

Dr. Titty.

Who needs complicated scenarios for humour, I ask you?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108768 on: November 02, 2016, 05:23:15 pm »

12 thousand dollar drugs that you can't stop taking after you start and that you need to take every week, for life.
You're an american, alright.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108769 on: November 02, 2016, 09:36:01 pm »

I need a specific class to graduate college in the spring, and guess what, no one is going to teach it.  End me.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108770 on: November 02, 2016, 09:44:54 pm »

I need a specific class to graduate college in the spring, and guess what, no one is going to teach it.  End me.

Don't worry I feel your pain.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108771 on: November 02, 2016, 10:10:02 pm »

Don't worry I feel your pain.

An update:

I'm going for a minor in business.  I need five classes, four from a list of five classes, and one from a second list of four or the last one left from the first list.  According to the college of business website.  I have five MBUS classes after this semester, so I should be done.

Buuut the degree evaluation website says otherwise.  It doesn't recognize MBUS 308 as part of my minor, though its listed on the business website as I choice I can make, but also says I don't have the minor done because I specifically don't have 302 done.  With 308 I should have four from the first list, and Entrepreneurship as my 5th choice.

Minor in Business classes also use two prefixes, which only raise suspicion.  The degree evaluation, schedule, and business website use MBUS, and the course catalog only has MSOM.  MBUS 302 isn't listed at all, and MSOM 302 isn't being taught.

I also need two econ classes of 300 or higher to complete the major, and a total of 16 credits to complete the entire 120 credit degree.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108772 on: November 02, 2016, 10:11:16 pm »

Yeah, I'd contact your academic advisor if you have one on that one.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #108773 on: November 02, 2016, 10:31:23 pm »

Huh. How did you know I usually have cold hands?

Nah, my problems aren't medicine related. I've been off my meds for months at a time without noticable improvements in sleep patterns or anxiety and whatnot. I understand why you mention it; I have a lot of things that are side-effects, but I have them with or without my meds. It also effects my personality, sure, but the major change is "Strong increase in my inhibitions" and given the hyperactivity angle, that's an improvement by my reckoning.

I know I react positively to sleep-aids. Good fucking thing, too, because my desire to sleep is absolutely paradoxical: I have no interest in sleep until I want to stay up. Decide to stay up all night? Suddenly I'm inches from crashing, even if I was hyper with energy before. It takes me 30 minutes to sleep even in ideal scenarios (quiet, no light, in a soft bed with covers); if there is an intrruption in ideal conditions, then my clock resets. And god forbid I'm not in a bed: Once I tried to sleep on the floor of an airport terminal. Got maybe, one hour of sleep? Two? And yet, if I don't want to sleep its actually quite easy to doze off for me: for example, when I'm taking a cab or on a train or bus late at night, I can quite easily doze off. In highschool when I didn't get enough sleep, I've fallen asleep both in class and on my breaks: so on desks and on the floor. Yet if I ever *wanted* to do that, it would be impossible. I have proof, even!Once I took a five hour bus from NYC to Syracuse (and back). The first trip left around 7 AM, and I needed to read stuff during my trip, so obviously it was very easy to nap. My second trip left Syracuse at around 12:00 AM. Out of all the people on that bus (surprisingly full, actually), I think there were maybe 4 people awake: The driver, two passengers, and me. I spent that entire trip impossibly awake. Couldn't sleep a wink.

I'm very grateful for the existence of Tylenol PM is what I'm saying. My sleep problems over the past few days have been because I couldn't take them: the issue was that they would knock me out (usually until at least 11 AM), and since I needed to be up at 9:00 AM, I couldn't take them.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108774 on: November 03, 2016, 02:43:20 am »

Unfucking Your Life In Three Easy(?) Steps, By MetalSlimeHunt

1. Decide upon the thing.

2. Do the thing no matter how you feel.

3. Yes, even then.

(Steps may in fact be horribly stressful and even physically painful, MetalSlimeHunt is not responsible for any misfortune resulting from following these steps. This information is purely for advertising purposes and is not supported by any scientific study or factual assertion.)

Pretty good advice, this.

Step 1 probs needs to be accompanied by making sure (before you commit) that the thing isn't going to do harm. If you're absolutely going to stick to it, make sure sticking to it is what you want to do before you start. Once you figure out your direction, though... just do it.

EDIT: I'mma cram that into my Sig for a while. Much obliged.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 02:45:51 am by Solifuge »

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #108775 on: November 03, 2016, 03:07:19 am »

I'm not quite sure what to tell you in this case. When I'm on them, the higher the dose goes, the more unemotional I become. Cold and calculating like psychopaths is what I'd compare myself to. That's all until a certain point which I think is for every stimulant after which jitters, anxiety and personality changes happen which is normal in high doses.

Sleep-aids are indeed amazing. From what I understand about them though, they're not meant to help you fall asleep every time, but help you get your circardian (sleep) rhythm back in order. Usually this includes taking them at the same time every evening and going to bed at the same time until you build a habit. I've found that habit to be fairly easy to break and hard to get back into though, haha.

Maybe it would help you if you used a weaker sleep aid like Melatonin? It would ease you into sleep while not forcing you to be so. It's similar to the relaxation given by alcohol, but not quite enough to be said to be identical. Take two or three hours before your targeted sleep hour.

It's also possible that your personality issues (like anxiety) are caused exactly by your perception of the world (like somebody being anxious all the time when out because he didn't have time to fix his hair and he thinks it looks abysmal, or even forcing oneself to not care about what other people think while acknolwedging his obvious faults), though that is heavily person dependent. In such a case a psychotherapist would indeed help more than a psychiatrist by treating the underlying issue - perception.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #108776 on: November 03, 2016, 05:25:20 am »

I dislike that formulation because it's misleading. It implies making a decision, then following through on it, but often the sort of people involved don't want or are very poor at decision making. This leads to people making them rush through the first step to the cry of "JUST DO IT". But then the second and third step might require much hardship and great personal sacrifice, all on the basis of a decision that was poorly thought out and rushed.
Cold and calculating like psychopaths is what I'd compare myself to.
I'm briefly curious whether or not this comparison is hyperbole or wordplay, or whether you are actually comparing yourself to psychopaths you've met or experienced. I just say that because I've, met, psychopaths.
Sleep-aids are indeed amazing. From what I understand about them though, they're not meant to help you fall asleep every time, but help you get your circardian (sleep) rhythm back in order. Usually this includes taking them at the same time every evening and going to bed at the same time until you build a habit. I've found that habit to be fairly easy to break and hard to get back into though, haha.
Very true.  :(
Maybe it would help you if you used a weaker sleep aid like Melatonin? It would ease you into sleep while not forcing you to be so. It's similar to the relaxation given by alcohol, but not quite enough to be said to be identical. Take two or three hours before your targeted sleep hour.
I'll see.

It's also possible that your personality issues (like anxiety) are caused exactly by your perception of the world (like somebody being anxious all the time when out because he didn't have time to fix his hair and he thinks it looks abysmal, or even forcing oneself to not care about what other people think while acknolwedging his obvious faults), though that is heavily person dependent. In such a case a psychotherapist would indeed help more than a psychiatrist by treating the underlying issue - perception.
I'm sure that's possible, but I find it much more likely my anxiety is caused by environmental factors.

I don't like my anxiety. But if it is a mental disorder, it's the only mental disorder that's paying the rent. It's motivates me, it tries to break past the ADHD and depression and everything. Does it cause problems too? Sure. But it helps balance out the other problems, and keeps me on track. And there are worse things.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 07:46:42 am by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #108777 on: November 03, 2016, 05:53:18 am »

Sent a message to my mum about stuff, I'm sure you can figure out what "stuff" refers to, I really hope that this doesn't blow up in my face.
EDIT: Got a reply telling me that I'll always be loved, etc. I think that this will be alright. I think MetalSlimeHunt could be right, just do the thing to unfuck your life. Hopefully.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 05:57:28 am by Gamedragon »

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #108778 on: November 03, 2016, 07:17:55 am »

I don't know what to tell you, Misko. I usually talk like this because I'm a strong proponent of trying to fix something if there's a problem so most of my replies are mechanical in that way rather than emphatic.

Everybody has or has had problems in their life, some worse than others. However I hate saying that somebody has it worse than another person. Objectively that might be true, but subjectively you can never say that. There will always be somebody worse off than you and if you keep thinking about that objectively then you will eventually feel guilty for feeling how you do, despite the fact that you shouldn't since it IS the worst case for you personally.

There is one thing that a lot of people who hate assigning mental disorders to people hate. They say that it "stereotypes" people and slaps labels. That isn't quite the case. A mental disorder or anything similar can be considered one only if it impedes a person's or people around him lives. If you have the quirk of constantly rearranging everything in a proper manner, it isn't considered OCPD (OCD) unless it's impeding your life in some way (like it giving way to obsessive thoughts, it taking too much time or causing you anxiety if not done.)

What I'm trying to say is that if the anxiety is what helps you brute force your way through your other issues, then all the power to you. Without changing something regarding your other issues though, nothing will change. I've found that people online often love maintaining the status quo in regards to their lives irl. There are some that are perfectly happy that way and always exceptions, but in this case I'll be addressing what I believe to be the vast majority. That status quo is like a wall that they've built up. Nothing good nor bad can come in easily, but there is always a bad thing trying to reach you, while the good things are just sitting there on the other side. The status quo gives only comfort. Nothing more, nothing less. The majority of things that will try to get through that wall are bad things. Either minor or major in relation to your life. Then the natural instinct to protect itself kicks in and a new wall is built up. Even thicker than before. The person building that wall never to change and never to grab something new that is good.

I think I went on a bit of a tangent here, sorry, haha. Anyways, all I have is dabbling in psychology for a few years as a hobby, so do take anything I say with a grain of salt. I hope things get better for you, Misko.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #108779 on: November 03, 2016, 07:53:02 am »

I dislike that formulation because it's misleading. It implies making a decision, then following through on it, but often the sort of people involved don't want or are very poor at decision making. This leads to people making them rush through the first step to the cry of "JUST DO IT". But then the second and third step might require much hardship and great personal sacrifice, all on the basis of a decision that was poorly thought out and rushed.

yeah this tbh

if i followed through on all the things i "promised myself" i'd be feeling even worse than i am rn

i mean sometimes you just need to do something and force yourself to do it despite doubts/worries/etc when its obviously a good thing, but deciding to do thing and then following through on it no matter what is not a catch-all solution for everything. life isnt that simple.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 08:58:35 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 7250 7251 [7252] 7253 7254 ... 8168