Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7248 7249 [7250] 7251 7252 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9499072 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #108735 on: November 01, 2016, 07:17:29 pm »

Did you ever check out the debate team?
I haven't seen one.
A lot of them have really bad advertising because they're short on cash, you might wanna check the school's official listing.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #108736 on: November 01, 2016, 07:38:49 pm »

I mean, as cool as robotics is, it's hardly your only option. Games? Crafts? If you feel comfortable building things technologically, but don't think you can get into anything directly for that, you can go find something like a cosplay club or stage group, I'm sure somebody who can work with wires, lights, and so on would be welcome there.

But really, what my point is, is find something you're even vaguely interested in, and join it. Doesn't have to be anything big or important, just something where you get to do stuff and meet people.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108737 on: November 01, 2016, 07:41:38 pm »

And do it now, while you're still in school. It's much harder to find that sort of stuff out in the wider world.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #108738 on: November 01, 2016, 07:55:14 pm »

Really tired. Too tired to want to do anything, but it's too early to feel like going to sleep.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108739 on: November 01, 2016, 09:29:53 pm »

I mean, as cool as robotics is, it's hardly your only option. Games? Crafts? If you feel comfortable building things technologically, but don't think you can get into anything directly for that, you can go find something like a cosplay club or stage group, I'm sure somebody who can work with wires, lights, and so on would be welcome there.

But really, what my point is, is find something you're even vaguely interested in, and join it. Doesn't have to be anything big or important, just something where you get to do stuff and meet people.
Point of order, I can't actually do wires/lights :v

Honestly...The problem is finding things and working up the motivation to actually haul myself over...

I fail badly at the first and do even worse at the second.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #108740 on: November 01, 2016, 09:47:14 pm »

Exactly. Find something, get involved. It doesn't really matter what. Tech is something I have skills in, but it doesn't matter what it is.

Your college's website probably has a list of registered clubs. Go search it, find something that sounds vaguely interesting with meeting times you can manage, and walk over there easy as you please.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108741 on: November 01, 2016, 09:57:37 pm »

Ha.  Walking is one of the annoying bits, coming slightly after 'actually finding the building' and 'once at the building, finding the room'.

And finding anything on that website is a pain in the ass.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #108742 on: November 01, 2016, 11:18:59 pm »

Seems like you're looking for excuses to not do these things.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #108743 on: November 01, 2016, 11:21:36 pm »

A heavy-handed approach without follow-up thinking won't be that effective :P (I do recall in a possibly deleted post that you remarked about positive self regard or tough love; it's the follow-up that matters a lot, too, because the first impression does also matter alongside it).

Coming from talks with TBF, it's more him handling things he's uncomfortable with. Nudge him or nudge what's bothering him, rather than attempt to interpret the motive and then associate with him. "Seems like" also sets impressions that way on how others view you/your actions. It could even merely be just his way of expressing something; not everyone words their ideas and speaks them literally. :P

Follow all that up, TBF. Anxiety or similar feelings is countered very well by one's initiative of action.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108744 on: November 01, 2016, 11:57:28 pm »

Oh alright :P this wasn't so much tough love as maybe a lack of self-awareness on TBF's part. Maybe a mixture of the two though...

I was expecting a back and forth with TBF on that one, though I s'pose I should've been a bit more forthcoming.

Anyhow, when I say excuses, I mean obstructions that are small in comparison to the intended goal, which is to find something meaningful.

So what if it's hard to find things, or get there by walking? You claim there's something missing in your life but you're not sure what it is. You're not going to find out by not doing anything about it :P

If it's a lack of meaningful human contact (which, as an introvert, I know is bloody hard to find sometimes) you need to seek it out. If you're out of practice doing it, then yeah it'll be awkward for a time, but so what? If you don't practice something, it'll take you a while to shake the rust off. It is a scary task, but that doesn't mean you need to run away from it.

Example: I utterly loathe using the phone. Full-on stress response whenever I need to call someone, get really warm, increased heart-rate, adrenaline rush, stomach tightens, all that jazz. This, even though I know it's fine when I'm on the phone. Had to get an appointment for a physical exam last week, had to go through all that, and even though the conversation went waaaay bad for me (first time making an appointment with an American provider, didn't have my insurance details at hand, didn't know what they meant by "provider" because that's a ridiculous way to refer to a health practitioner) I spent about 10 minutes in the phone, absolutely fine. It was moderately embarrassing, but even if the person i was talking to was a real bastard, all it would be is a funny story to them somewhere down the line, this odd foreigner who didn't know how things work.

The go-to thing for meeting new people is finding something you have a fair level of interest in, because that way you'll have something to talk about with new people. You play music, and are part of an orchestra, I believe. Invite one or two folk out to get something to eat or something after practice, get to know them through a mutual love of music, or hatred for the way the orchestra's run :P

So perhaps every time you find an excuse not to do something about the lack of meaning somewhere in your life, perhaps you should also come up with a reason why that shouldn't stop you from finding it? "Don't want to walk there" "good exercise, gets the blood flowing, and endorphins, so you'll be in a better mood when you get there"

"Website is hard to navigate" "Something else to talk about, and I might be able to help someone out with it in future too"

Things like that.

* hector13 crawls back under his rock
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108745 on: November 02, 2016, 12:31:31 am »

Actually I don't anymore.  At least not this semester.  Which.  Also sucks.

Honestly, you might be right.

But I don't know how to stop doing it.
Sigtext

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108746 on: November 02, 2016, 12:40:32 am »

Coming up with a reason to ignore the excuse. Making excuses is a habit, and a habit is something you do without thinking.

Thus, you need to start thinking about it, which is easier said than done, but not impossible.

If you make an excuse, come up with a counter to the excuse. You'll begin to notice when you're making excuses more easily the more you do it, and you'll also practice challenging the excuse as well.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #108747 on: November 02, 2016, 12:51:59 am »

Unfucking Your Life In Three Easy(?) Steps, By MetalSlimeHunt

1. Decide upon the thing.

2. Do the thing no matter how you feel.

3. Yes, even then.

(Steps may in fact be horribly stressful and even physically painful, MetalSlimeHunt is not responsible for any misfortune resulting from following these steps. This information is purely for advertising purposes and is not supported by any scientific study or factual assertion.)
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108748 on: November 02, 2016, 01:10:05 am »

That's more or less how it works. Gotta do the shit, otherwise the shit doesn't get done.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #108749 on: November 02, 2016, 03:04:31 am »

I remember a time when I got sleep on a semi-regular basis. Past four days have been torture. It's 4AM where I am right now.

All I know is I got no sleep the night before Halloween and spent the entire day kept awake by my meds. It's a very... unreal experience. My personality shifts, even. I talk a LOT more, both to myself and others, and what I say becomes like, 15% weirder. I want to say my inhibitions check out for the day... along with my sanity. I was actually surprisingly peaceful and content throughout the day, even though I felt fairly loopy. I didn't even get any major headaches (ordinarily I have very bad headaches), but there was an occasional sensation akin to feeling like my brain was going to dribble out my eyesockets which wasn't totally fun. I imagine this is sorta what recreational drugs are like, in which case I really want no part.

Must sleep.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 7248 7249 [7250] 7251 7252 ... 8168