Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7247 7248 [7249] 7250 7251 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9499174 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #108720 on: November 01, 2016, 02:34:01 pm »

But the question is what do I fill that space with?

In my case it was drawing, music theory, prose writing, poetry writing, cricket, rowing, reading (obviously), constructing languages and reading up on the odd topic of interest in an academic sense.

Really, get a hobby. I've got like ten different ones going on simultaneously.

Feckin' grant feckin' Erasmus feckin' not giving me it.
To explain this, which amounts to angry stabbing at a keyboard, my Erasmus grant (which is kinda important for my continued survival) is not coming through because of a problem on their end.

Feckin' bureaucrats.

I'll get by, but not quite so comfortably, and I'll have to stop going to poetry nights.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108721 on: November 01, 2016, 03:08:17 pm »

But the question is what do I fill that space with?

We can throw suggestions out there, but no one apart from you can actually answer that question.

Take some time to get to know your Internal Compass. Think about things that you've been passionate about, or that you find interesting or engaging. Think about who you want to be or what you want to have done by the time you're old. Get to know yourself and your interests better than you do, even the ones you threw out or which are daunting to start. If you still can't think of things, go out on a limb and try some things you have no experience with. Go to places, or learn a new hobby/skill, or whatever else.

Good luck!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #108722 on: November 01, 2016, 04:05:23 pm »

Yea, and if you don't like the whole "work on skills by yourself" thing (which is kinda what I've done thus far), then join a club. Even pay to do something, like drawing/writing class or something. Or even join a gaming club, tabletop stuff. Warhammer 40k, Chess, whatever.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #108723 on: November 01, 2016, 04:07:13 pm »

Don't know why I bother trying to take a day off from work.  I still end up paying attention to work most of the day.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #108724 on: November 01, 2016, 04:35:06 pm »

10 days, guys. 10 days.

Fucking hell.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108725 on: November 01, 2016, 05:39:49 pm »

Kot?

What's going on?

*frets worriedly*
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #108726 on: November 01, 2016, 05:42:48 pm »

Nothing.
Just in 10 days it will be precisely a year since by life went to shit.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108727 on: November 01, 2016, 05:46:23 pm »

Oh...

*preemptively hugs*
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #108728 on: November 01, 2016, 06:33:27 pm »

So, with regard to finding something to do.

What worked for me was finding something tangentially related to my own interests and diving into it for lack of anything better to do. Having started on the path of doing something, anything with my time, I managed to continue doing stuff from there. It's hardest to start.

In my case, there was a robotics club in an adjacent town, so I started helping them build a robot weekdays.

In your case, well, I don't really know what your interests are, but find something. Something where you need to do things with your hand and brain, and interact with people to do them. If you're feeling worried about social anxiety, that's the great thing about nerdy tech/videogame/RP clubs: it's not as if most of the people there are likely to be much better.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108729 on: November 01, 2016, 06:45:18 pm »

There's literally too many nerds here to have one of those clubs and have it actually not be most of the university.
Sigtext

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #108730 on: November 01, 2016, 06:48:59 pm »

There's literally too many nerds here to have one of those clubs and have it actually not be most of the university.
Unless this is in the tens of thousands, no, it's not.

My highschool had 4000 kids, and the vast majority were nerds of some sort. Yet the Robotics club wasn't overfilled or anything to what I could see. Clubs aren't abstract concepts you know. They are real things. And in reality, I guarantee you, you won't have any sort of intractable "too many members" problem.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #108731 on: November 01, 2016, 06:49:59 pm »

Did you ever check out the debate team?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #108732 on: November 01, 2016, 06:51:28 pm »

Another alternative is to go check out nearby martial arts dojos nearby or similar stuff. They usually aren't too expensive to get started with, provide a spot to be a part of something without necessarily forcing you to seriously interact socially with other people, and provide some good exercise and knowledge to boot on top of it.

The big piece of advice I have for finding hobbies is just to actually sign up for them. Take a look online and you'll usually find at least a handful of options pretty easily, then all you have to do is actually go, and BAM! new hobby. :D
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108733 on: November 01, 2016, 07:05:25 pm »

Unless this is in the tens of thousands, no, it's not.

My highschool had 4000 kids, and the vast majority were nerds of some sort. Yet the Robotics club wasn't overfilled or anything to what I could see. Clubs aren't abstract concepts you know. They are real things. And in reality, I guarantee you, you won't have any sort of intractable "too many members" problem.
*looks at the 10,000-some population*
You were saying?

I've literally been seeing ads for this massive festival sort of thing, I don't even know, but the club's definitely too big to actually make friends in.  That and I don't even own most of the games these people play.

The only robotics club they have is for ex-members of a different thing than I was in in high school, because apparently that doesn't continue up to university level.

Did you ever check out the debate team?
I haven't seen one.

Another alternative is to go check out nearby martial arts dojos nearby or similar stuff. They usually aren't too expensive to get started with, provide a spot to be a part of something without necessarily forcing you to seriously interact socially with other people, and provide some good exercise and knowledge to boot on top of it.

The big piece of advice I have for finding hobbies is just to actually sign up for them. Take a look online and you'll usually find at least a handful of options pretty easily, then all you have to do is actually go, and BAM! new hobby. :D
I have no transportation.  So that's out.

You know, I signed up for something at the beginning of the year and haven't heard back.  *sigh*
Sigtext

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #108734 on: November 01, 2016, 07:16:26 pm »

I have no transportation.  So that's out.

You know, I signed up for something at the beginning of the year and haven't heard back.  *sigh*
Do you have a bike (or a little bit of money to pick up a cheap one, or a relative who has one they don't need)? Bike + bus can usually get you most places in most cities as long as you are willing to take a little extra time to get from place to place, and it really opens up options once you are able to move around a little bit more.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 7247 7248 [7249] 7250 7251 ... 8168