Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7239 7240 [7241] 7242 7243 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9500954 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #108600 on: October 27, 2016, 01:26:00 pm »

My sad: I have now been involved in the events that resulted in a ban of two people. That's 5% of all the bans, and 8% of the bans during my stay here.

There's been more bans then have been on the list... And don't worry ether way.

Anyway, this is the conversation here; On catmeat being banned. I'm actually surprised that anyone is surprised or saddened by this. The dude was wearing a "ban me" sign that could be read from 100 yards away. He was obviously going to be banned sooner rather then later. People like that don't stick around long unless they are loudwhispers.
^^
This.

And it was a "she", at least according to the profile. And she seemed highly unstable in my dealings with her.
Aye...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108601 on: October 27, 2016, 01:42:28 pm »

CM and I had talked via PM and IRC a bit. I got the sense they were dealing with a lot of shit. The ban seems pretty stupid, but so was what they posted to get banned. :I

Caroline, I'm sorry. That reminds me of my kid years a bit too much. My Step-Dad's favorite threat was that he'd tear me a new asshole, or to pick me up by the collar and throw me into walls and corners when I stood up to him, or put myself brtween him and my Mom or siblings.

It'll get better. PS. I might've put both languages in the box myself, but I understand the gesture. Good luck with those apps.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #108602 on: October 27, 2016, 02:19:26 pm »

CM and I had talked via PM and IRC a bit. I got the sense they were dealing with a lot of shit. The ban seems pretty stupid, but so was what they posted to get banned. :I

Caroline, I'm sorry. That reminds me of my kid years a bit too much. My Step-Dad's favorite threat was that he'd tear me a new asshole, or to pick me up by the collar and throw me into walls and corners when I stood up to him, or put myself brtween him and my Mom or siblings.

It'll get better. PS. I might've put both languages in the box myself, but I understand the gesture. Good luck with those apps.
CM is male, as far as we've talked on PMs--and the profile changes were more for fun than anything else :O

@Caroline I'll be PMing you soon someday about all that :/ It's really difficult on my part with the feelings I've got along with all the studies here seeing them in situations. There's a lot of things to be taken in, especially if there's the element of persistence--keep your connections stable, that includes with other people.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #108603 on: October 27, 2016, 03:32:03 pm »

Not sure misrepresentating one's gender identity is something I'd classify as "fun". Now I have an even lower opinion of them.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #108604 on: October 27, 2016, 03:46:43 pm »

Not sure misrepresentating one's gender identity is something I'd classify as "fun". Now I have an even lower opinion of them.
No uh, CM directly pretty much mentioned it. I had asked and...let me just quote it. :-X :-\

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: Oh wait I misread that >_> Yaaay personal fatigue.
I doubt it. When I checked at the times--there was always accompaniment rather than 'switching that tab only', like personal text or signature and stuff (like I recall CM added a physical description-theme at the personal text, then it hit me that 'ok...this really isn't someone doing something [mis-presenting]. Is this humor? I think it is?')
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 04:17:43 pm by Tiruin »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #108605 on: October 27, 2016, 04:03:08 pm »

Yeah, I'm not saying they had a nefarious purpose behind it, like an intent to catfish, it's just something that rubs me the wrong way.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108606 on: October 27, 2016, 04:03:57 pm »

Catmeat getting banned for responding to Doze's insults and White Knighting of Cinder with insults of their own... that really doesn't seem fair. Maybe what they said was worse than I thought? I don't want to start a fight over it, but it's another in a long line of bans that seem totally unnecessary.

Also Tiruin and RedKing, I don't want to overshare or speak for them, but CM and I talked about gender identity and them being kinda Questioning. I don't keep conversation records nor share them in public, but I don't know if that was really misrepresentation. That aside, I don't understand why policing gender online is a big deal to you RW, but maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

Anyway... I do appreciate the time Tarn spends on community administration, but I kinda wish he gave out more temporary Mutes, rather than Banning without giving people an opportunity to change. Newbies don't get a chance to learn the tone of the community, and oldbies can get the boot over a stray post, if they have a bad day and run out of patience. I've got no problem with insta-bans over continual personal harassment, or spamming threads with shock/gore images or whatever, but this isn't remotely the same caliber.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #108607 on: October 27, 2016, 04:07:15 pm »

Catmeat threatened Doze. I don't think Toady should tolerate threats, even if they are unlikely to come to fruition.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108608 on: October 27, 2016, 04:17:25 pm »

Threat is a way to look at it. Alternatively...

Doze, I said the same thing about Cinder (and if you read this Cin, remember that it wasn't personal), and Catmeat was just agreeing with me. I gather that Doze only saw CM's post and went after them with an insult. CM replied in kind, and CM got banned.

Most of the bans we've had lately have been over comments made in response to insults or goading, which seems to escape moderation. It's shitty.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #108609 on: October 27, 2016, 04:22:40 pm »

There is a line in the guidelines that says if you feel something is worth reporting, to report it and ignore it.

Quote from: El Toad, from Forum Guidelines
Do not pick a fight or insult another poster.  Do not continue a fight if you feel you have been insulted.  Report it to the moderator.  If you instead respond in kind, you run the risk of being considered part of the problem.

If you don't like it, there are other places around. No sense in complaining about it. I don't think Toady will change how he moderates because people don't like it. He is one person, and he has better things to do than clean up after people who cause friction.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #108610 on: October 27, 2016, 04:57:44 pm »

wow, these are quite a few bans of people ive been loosely acquainted with

lets see how long ive got  :P

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108611 on: October 27, 2016, 05:00:01 pm »

My last post on the subject. If anyone has a reply, let's take it to PM or a new thread.

I hear you, hector, but I'd rather not be driven out of town just because I think Tarn ought to start doing more Muting than Banning. I "complain" because I'd like to keep this a welcoming community for newbies and oldbies alike, and I see this as a problem in maintaining that. Also, finding other places online is a real cute suggestion, but it isn't a solution; I have friends here, and other communities don't have those friends. This is actually one of the reasons why this kind of Banning is a problem; it's like someone permanently deleting 1/4 of your contacts list without warning, or for people who only hang out here, it's like deactivating your phone. The worst part is when it comes without warning, and you can't do anything about it.

Moderators of online communities have a certain responsibility to treat their communities fairly; Moderation is appreciated and important, but over-moderation creates some shitty situations.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108612 on: October 27, 2016, 05:09:17 pm »

Yeah, I think long mutes are a bit better than bans honestly :v
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108613 on: October 27, 2016, 05:29:59 pm »

My last post on the subject. If anyone has a reply, let's take it to PM or a new thread.

I know this is literally the opposite of what you asked people to do, but I can't help myself from noting that people saying "I'm going to have the last word here, no one else should do so though." is somewhat hypocritical and a pet peeve of mine, why don't you just take this to pms or a new thread if you think it shouldn't be continued here instead of continuing it here?

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #108614 on: October 27, 2016, 05:39:03 pm »

Honestly if outright visceral threats don't do it for you, I do highly suggest you find other places to discuss things. This isn't your house, this is the toads house and rules of common decency.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.
Pages: 1 ... 7239 7240 [7241] 7242 7243 ... 8168