Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7213 7214 [7215] 7216 7217 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9505368 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #108210 on: October 10, 2016, 10:26:53 am »

@Truean There are a few, I know college professors are fond of such apps. Try googling "book to pdf app" or maybe "gallery/album to pdf"

W.t.f. hugo. Are you ok? Isn't that dangerous.
Throat is very sore and am tired as hell but I did manage to get some sleep.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #108211 on: October 10, 2016, 02:47:16 pm »

« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 02:43:50 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #108212 on: October 10, 2016, 02:50:28 pm »

I... think so? Probably take some time, and it might not work strictly because of the amount, but I'm pretty sure it's at least possible.

There's definitely more specialized software for book conversion, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108213 on: October 10, 2016, 03:01:37 pm »

Unless you've modified them in ways that you can't a PDF, the first thing I would do in your position would be to see if someone had already uploaded a PDF copy of any of the books you want to digitize.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #108214 on: October 10, 2016, 03:06:40 pm »

For what it's worth, this looks like a decent resource to use to find some programs for batch image to pdf stuff. Can't name a decent one of the top of my head, since it's not really something I've worked much with, but there's definitely stuff out there.
Ask not!
Ask!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #108215 on: October 10, 2016, 06:14:55 pm »

« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 02:43:25 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #108216 on: October 10, 2016, 06:19:17 pm »

Mm... for what it's worth, if push comes to shove there's probably some kind of print service or whathaveyou in the area that'd do the scut work for you. But yeah, it takes a fair chunk of time, especially if you're not interested in mutilating the book in the process.
Ask not!
Ask!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #108217 on: October 10, 2016, 07:54:44 pm »

An old friend and I have always had a feisty argumentative relationship which I enjoy, but recently he's taken to typecasting me as the other instead of engaging with my views. Ironically he says it's because he is sick of hearing it and being typecast by those with similar ideas. At the same time he keeps bringing this stuff up and asking what I think. I don't know what he expects from me and I'm worried it'll come between us. He says his change of views has lost him friends and frankly I'm not surprised.

Take care if you end up using software to convert an image into text as in my experience you get a lot of little errors.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108218 on: October 10, 2016, 08:03:22 pm »

Could I just painstakingly insert all 589 images (of every page of the old economics text book) into a Microsoft word document and save that as a PDF?

Judging by my experience, there are a number of helpful parrot-having and eyepatch-wearing folks who might have already digitized that textbook for you. Given that you purchased the content, I think you could make a case for that being totes ethical?

That aside, rather than going through MSWord, I'm pretty sure the new Adobe Acrobat Reader will create PDFs out of a list of images. And I know of some free graphics programs that can do bulk resizing or cropping on large collections of images, like GraphicsGale. I have to imagine there are others out there too.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #108219 on: October 10, 2016, 08:12:35 pm »

I was unmotivated to do much to make friends at the beginning of this semester, but I thought "hey, maybe that will change".

It hasn't changed. I'm not part of any club, team, or group of friends beyond my roommates. I go to class, I get food, and I come home. And the worst part is I just don't care enough to change anything. I don't feel like doing anything. I'm just happy that I'm mostly keeping up with my work, but I went out of my way to pick the easiest possible classes for me (so I wouldn't mess it up this semester) and I still struggle at times. I don't know. I 'm just not in a good place.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108220 on: October 10, 2016, 09:02:35 pm »

*hugs misko*

Yeah.  I know how that feels.

I don't really have much advice for you.  Wish I did, but I'm in the same boat.  If you want someone to commiserate with, I guess.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 09:06:29 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #108221 on: October 10, 2016, 09:08:40 pm »

I was unmotivated to do much to make friends at the beginning of this semester, but I thought "hey, maybe that will change".

It hasn't changed. I'm not part of any club, team, or group of friends beyond my roommates. I go to class, I get food, and I come home. And the worst part is I just don't care enough to change anything. I don't feel like doing anything. I'm just happy that I'm mostly keeping up with my work, but I went out of my way to pick the easiest possible classes for me (so I wouldn't mess it up this semester) and I still struggle at times. I don't know. I 'm just not in a good place.
Then go change it tomorrow. I continue to stand my suggestion of your college's debate team, but if that doesn't appeal pick one of the others and ask to join. Tomorrow, October 10th. Write it down if you have to.

You have to put the effort in, nobody ever just cares about something ex nihlio. If you aren't being challenged you're regressing.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108222 on: October 10, 2016, 09:31:27 pm »

I suddenly feel bleh.

*sigh*
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #108223 on: October 10, 2016, 10:20:08 pm »

Then go change it tomorrow. I continue to stand my suggestion of your college's debate team, but if that doesn't appeal pick one of the others and ask to join. Tomorrow, October 10th. Write it down if you have to.

You have to put the effort in, nobody ever just cares about something ex nihlio. If you aren't being challenged you're regressing.
When did you suggest that? Am I losing my mind now? Shit.

As long as I don't have to join a real sports team I'm fine. I was on a real team for years. Then joined the college sports team when I went there. And god did I hate every fucking second of it. I never actually even liked the sport, honestly, but that was the only one I was any good at. I hated it, but I was told it builds strength, character, physical fitness, attention, all that nonsense, so I kept at it until the physical exhaustion caught up with me; we were a small team, but our coach had delusions of grandeur and I was absolutely not ready for his nonsense. Between my own reservations about it, the fact that I didn't really like my teammates very much (their idea of fun was weed), and my girlfriend urging me to quit, I finally left it about half-way through last year. It was the last "group" I was involved in on campus, actually.

I'll see about the debate team. I also could stand to look around for a job, but I can see if I can do both.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #108224 on: October 10, 2016, 10:22:28 pm »

My apologies, I confused you and TBF from a Life Advice thread. Think of it this way, now you also have a possible forumite timeclone!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 7213 7214 [7215] 7216 7217 ... 8168