Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7211 7212 [7213] 7214 7215 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9507557 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #108180 on: October 07, 2016, 01:30:06 pm »

Take up armouring as a hobby! Poland has a strong HEMA/Living History/SCA/BotN/other historical society scene.
Well, yes.
The point is that I don't have few million spare
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108181 on: October 07, 2016, 02:12:49 pm »

Take up armouring as a hobby! Poland has a strong HEMA/Living History/SCA/BotN/other historical society scene.
Well, yes.
There is no club, where winged hussar and GLORIOUS POLISH history enthusiasts just gather and talk about winged hussars and glorious history of Poland around?( without historical reconstruction)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108182 on: October 07, 2016, 02:42:39 pm »

Well, yes.
There is no club, where winged hussar and GLORIOUS POLISH history enthusiasts just gather and talk about winged hussars and glorious history of Poland around?( without historical reconstruction)
What you're describing is called a nationalist movement...isn't it?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108183 on: October 07, 2016, 02:46:56 pm »

Well, yes.

Well, from some point of view it is, but they call themself history/historico-patriotical/ military-patriotical clubs here. I thought, that you have stuff like that in any country, where people rant about, how everything was great.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #108184 on: October 07, 2016, 02:48:33 pm »

Oh yea, we have that here. It's called the House of Lords :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #108185 on: October 07, 2016, 02:49:44 pm »

...what's the point of talking about GLORIOUS POLISH HISTORY if you're not willing to ride around on horses in full plate armour with wings and kick some Ukrainian/German/Russian/Whoever/American (especially) ass in HEMA/whatever.
That or going around on horses in full scale armour with Slavic signs all over yourself and spreading the Older Blood and kicking some American/German/Ukrainian/Whoever/Russian (especially) ass in HEMA/whatever.

Except guns.
You can't own guns, unless they're pre-1800s or so.
In general you could have a black-powder revolver or a fucking 30mm handcannon (basically one-shoot Mosin+, complete with setting people on fire, breaking walls due to shockwave and leaving you deaf for the rest of your life) like the ones that Poles used back in the good old days of Hussars.

Well, from some point of view it is, but they call themself history/historico-patriotical/ military-patriotical clubs here. I thought, that you have stuff like that in any country, where people rant about, how everything was great.
Yeah, but...
Here, in Poland, we don't need a club for that. Here in Poland that is part of your daily routine to bitch about how everything was great and how amazing we were and how one day we will totally into space and conquer the whole world and entact bloody revenge on whoever hurt us in past.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #108186 on: October 07, 2016, 03:12:37 pm »

Well, yes.

The whole advantage of armouring as a hobby is that hot-rolled sheet steel is really, really cheap, especially if you buy it as offcuts from bulk orders. The tools are inexpensive as well - you can literally start off with a tree stump, a mallet, and a cheap jigsaw.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #108187 on: October 07, 2016, 03:23:11 pm »

If you're gonna use a reference, I really don't think a jigsaw has the best picture quality....even if it is cheaper.

((Edit: :P))
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 03:25:09 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108188 on: October 07, 2016, 04:00:11 pm »

Yeah, but...
Here, in Poland, we don't need a club for that. Here in Poland that is part of your daily routine to bitch about how everything was great and how amazing we were and how one day we will totally into space and conquer the whole world and entact bloody revenge on whoever hurt us in past.
The more you describe Poland, the more it sounds like a cosy little home away from home.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #108189 on: October 07, 2016, 05:17:28 pm »

The more I work on D&D stuff, the more I wish I had the capability to program (It isn't an issue of learning the language, but one of abstract thought - I can usually go from pseudo-code to actual code when I'm trying to learn, but turning even the most basic game-related task into pseudocode is beyond me). The design work for making a game would be a lot of fun, and I'm perfectly willing to use ASCII to sidestep my total lack of artistic ability, but even if I started designing something I'd have a better chance of turning it into a game by trying to cast a spell on it than I would by programming.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108190 on: October 07, 2016, 05:25:39 pm »

The more I work on D&D stuff, the more I wish I had the capability to program (It isn't an issue of learning the language, but one of abstract thought - I can usually go from pseudo-code to actual code when I'm trying to learn, but turning even the most basic game-related task into pseudocode is beyond me). The design work for making a game would be a lot of fun, and I'm perfectly willing to use ASCII to sidestep my total lack of artistic ability, but even if I started designing something I'd have a better chance of turning it into a game by trying to cast a spell on it than I would by programming.
If it interests you, there's a very simple and detailed tutorial for a 2D roguelike thingy here. It kinda makes one feel more familiar around basic design concepts for that sort of game, and you can tweak it to make whatever later. I had a lot of fun with it, maybe it's the kind of thing you'd like too?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #108191 on: October 07, 2016, 05:44:17 pm »

I tried following that, or something much like it, a while back. It is a perfect example of what I mean. When it's broken down like that, I'm fine - without even knowing Python I was able to understand what most of the code did without too much trouble (not surprising, since higher languages are designed to be intuitive), and I'd be able to do some minor modifications to it. But if I wanted to, for example, design the magic system I've been toying with (basically, you select a base type of spell, the element, and the power level, but each element has radically different effects, and at higher levels you could combine elements and spell types to have even more complex results) I would have no idea where to begin.

As I said, it is an issue of thought process - I have much the same problem with higher mathematics, as once I lose the ability to construct a mental real-world model I completely lose the ability to understand the math at more than a brute-force level. What I need to do is either get in touch with some programmers that are out of ideas, or join an existing group project that's young enough to have room for significant design work, but I have no idea where to look, and trying to recruit would feel a lot like "hey, make this game for me" rather than "help me make this".
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108192 on: October 07, 2016, 06:12:48 pm »

But if I wanted to, for example, design the magic system I've been toying with (basically, you select a base type of spell, the element, and the power level, but each element has radically different effects, and at higher levels you could combine elements and spell types to have even more complex results) I would have no idea where to begin.
It's sorta important to start with something so you can get struck by divine revelation about how shitty it is later, y'know?

Spoiler: Programming stuff (click to show/hide)
This is probably a bad solution, but you can come up with a fix for it later once you have something that sort of works, right? By observing how bad it is in action, you can see what needs to be done to fix it.
An alternative approach would be to draw out your spell system in as much detail as possible, then try to see what programming concepts would best fit which chunk of it. This is a better way, but it requires a practiced hand with programming in general.

I just realized how weird it is to have a water-based fireball. Anyway, I hope it helps somehow.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #108193 on: October 07, 2016, 06:29:37 pm »

An alternative approach would be to draw out your spell system in as much detail as possible, then try to see what programming concepts would best fit which chunk of it. This is a better way, but it requires a practiced hand with programming in general.

I just realized how weird it is to have a water-based fireball. Anyway, I hope it helps somehow.

I'll probably start with doing that - it would be pretty entertaining in its own right, and I just might be able to either brute-force it into code or submit it to somebody working on an Angband or Nethack variant.

As for the effect of the water element, at lower levels it would mostly be used to make things wet rather than direct damage (except for fire-based creatures).

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108194 on: October 07, 2016, 11:49:25 pm »

*sigh*

Some idiot set off the fire alarm at midnight.

Spent a quarter hour standing around outside.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 7211 7212 [7213] 7214 7215 ... 8168