Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7210 7211 [7212] 7213 7214 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9507688 times)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #108165 on: October 06, 2016, 06:47:06 pm »

My skills are high, my standards are higher. My skills rise fast, my standards rise faster. Story of my life.
This is that little disease we in the medical profession like to call 'being 2 fuckin hardcore'

don't quote me I 'm not a real doctor
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108166 on: October 06, 2016, 07:18:30 pm »

My skills are high, my standards are higher. My skills rise fast, my standards rise faster. Story of my life.

I've started recently reading a book called "The Paradox Of Choice" by Barry Schwartz, the premise of the book is that the vastly increased choice in our modern lives has actually made us less happy, more regretful, and constantly incentivizing us to use our mental resources on imagining on fictional, better scenarios where we might have made better, more perfect decisions had we simply had enough time or ability; effectively draining us of our mental energies to do and think about the things that are truly important.

In the book, there's a distinction made between 'perfectionists' and 'maximizers', where both aim the very best results that can ever be obtained, but perfectionists have no expectation of ever attaining true perfection and accept that it's impossible, and they're happier and healthier for it, while maximizers can't accept that it's impossible and they DO place the expectation of attaining that perfection onto their own shoulders, and they're much worse off for it in being frustrated and dissatisfied with any accomplishment they could ever make.

It's a really good book, after I return it to the library, I might buy a copy for myself.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108167 on: October 06, 2016, 08:12:37 pm »

*hugs MagmaMcFry*
You are an amazing person.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108168 on: October 07, 2016, 03:41:19 am »

Spoiler: Welcome to Australia. (click to show/hide)

This is infuriating when I'm trying to work on my uni work and be proactive for once. That download failed six times before it finally went through.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108169 on: October 07, 2016, 04:03:38 am »

Saw an old friend in the street today. He ain't happy. Trapped into a relationship due to kids he didn't want to have, life post-heroin addiction, chronic pain due to injuries etc, mutual friends dead, he's depressed af I think. I was going to try and bring some optimistic banter into the conversation but I actually think he would've hit me.

Makes me think that I am so very damn lucky to be where I am right now. It's pretty good that I'm compelled to flee when there's smack involved. There's a difference between being reckless and being suicidal. Shit, there's a difference between being suicidal and doing smack. At least your corpse doesn't shamble around after suicide, right?

No offence to anyone who's been through it, but every single person I know who has seems to be this complete shadow of themselves. Do you come back? I'm sure it's possible, but probable? Ehh. At least if you're a drunk you can sober up from time to time.

Not sure if this is even in the right thread, I'm ambivalent about the whole thing. Yeah, I'm sad about my friend but I already gave up on those folks donkeys years ago? Really it was more of a revelation of the tank-sized bullet I managed to dodge.

Woo...

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108170 on: October 07, 2016, 04:05:57 am »

Yeah, a lot of drugs of that ilk do a lot of physical and mental damage. Meth is probably the worst in that regard, though heroin wouldn't be far behind.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #108171 on: October 07, 2016, 06:22:10 am »

Yeah, a lot of drugs of that ilk do a lot of physical and mental damage. Meth is probably the worst in that regard, though heroin wouldn't be far behind.

For reference's sake:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

*hugs Arx*
Stay safe.

*hugpats ECrownofFire*

@MSH: :o
*hugs*

Notice how he didn't hug King of Starry Skies
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 06:24:01 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #108172 on: October 07, 2016, 06:27:46 am »

The great flaw of that graph is that alcohol is used by far more people (orders of magnitude more people) than everything on that list except tobacco and possibly cannabis - outside of Muslim countries everybody who doesn't drink regularly knows somebody who does, and it is accepted as normal. There's a massive synergistic effect with the harm caused by mind altering substances, so anything that comes close to having as much effect as alcohol is -has to be- much more potent in direct effect.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #108173 on: October 07, 2016, 06:51:44 am »

How 'bout some tabletop RPG thing,
Poland.
Calling bullshit on that.

There's a tabletop renting place a short (under 30 mins) walk from here, and at least two cafes where you can go play, and that's not counting the shops and people playing privately (my lab apparently has/had a tabletop night even).

Granted, this is a major city, but I also know there was a ton of people wargaming in my middle school and a whole weeb club in my high school in a 70k backwater town, too.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #108174 on: October 07, 2016, 08:35:15 am »

Where you live?
Also, then apparently people are totally hiding from me because I, in my 60k backwater never seen anyone ever mention wargaming or anything similar.

Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108175 on: October 07, 2016, 09:27:13 am »

*hugs Kot*
I don't know what to say, other than I really hope your birthday presents don't include a noose.

@ChairmanPoo:*glare*

*hugs Caz*
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108176 on: October 07, 2016, 01:05:51 pm »

Where you live?
Also, then apparently people are totally hiding from me because I, in my 60k backwater never seen anyone ever mention wargaming or anything similar.

May be there is club dedicated to winged hussars somewhere? There definetly should be one. And I bet, that you like winged hussars.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #108177 on: October 07, 2016, 01:08:37 pm »

Well, yes.
The point is that I don't have few million spare to buy myself a set of armour, weapons, a horse and all the assorted stuff.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #108178 on: October 07, 2016, 01:16:01 pm »

Take up armouring as a hobby! Poland has a strong HEMA/Living History/SCA/BotN/other historical society scene.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108179 on: October 07, 2016, 01:26:31 pm »

Co worker's pet bunny got eaten by a dog that got into it's lil' home :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 7210 7211 [7212] 7213 7214 ... 8168