Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7207 7208 [7209] 7210 7211 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9508241 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #108120 on: October 04, 2016, 11:11:28 am »

You need a novel to write about?

what? yes?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #108121 on: October 04, 2016, 11:23:28 am »

Yeah, thinking of shelving it at least until I figure out some more things about it. I just can't figure out anyone's motivations.

Make up a chart of possible motivations and randomly assign motives to people using said chart (and dice/random.org). You will either be inspired by how a given motivation is NOT what that character would have, or you will be inspired by how a given motivation DOES work.

And even if you don't get inspired for every character, you only need a few to get back into writing again.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #108122 on: October 04, 2016, 11:51:01 am »

You may find it a valuable piece of context that Caz writes novels quite a bit.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #108123 on: October 04, 2016, 11:56:27 am »

Ah, you're not reading a novel, you're writing one. 'Kay.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108124 on: October 04, 2016, 11:58:47 am »

-snip-
They're holding her funeral on Wednesday. I don't know if I should go. I don't know her parents and friends except for the others from the same expedition. I've never been to a funeral before. It's a weird thing to realize about yourself, isn't it? Nobody close to me has died - yet.

I don't feel safe right now.
Super-late response, but I'd say go. The regret from not going outweighs the tears from being there, at least in my experience.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108125 on: October 04, 2016, 12:15:25 pm »

Yeah, thinking of shelving it at least until I figure out some more things about it. I just can't figure out anyone's motivations.

Make up a chart of possible motivations and randomly assign motives to people using said chart (and dice/random.org). You will either be inspired by how a given motivation is NOT what that character would have, or you will be inspired by how a given motivation DOES work.

And even if you don't get inspired for every character, you only need a few to get back into writing again.

Yeah gotta get the charts out I think. I was seeing how well I could write without any sort of solid plan and the conclusion is 'not at all'. Probably cause it's been a while since I worked on something new. Will draw up some character sheets, location/situation sheets and see if that gets the muse whispering. Cheers Meph.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108126 on: October 04, 2016, 12:32:36 pm »

In other sad news, I'm slowly starting to lose my mind over my deceased friend. You see, she was the only one who ever cared about me when nobody was looking and there was no obligation to do so; over the years, she had every opportunity to tell me to go fuck myself and never come back, but... she never did. She forgave me, over and over and over again, even for some really stupid shit. And now I don't know if that was because she was an outlier, or because I'm not actually a really shitty human being, and normally when I get depressed like this I go talk to her but WAIT, CAN'T DO THAT. And I can't trust anyone else to be honest, because even here there's that expectation that people won't tell you off for being shit because it'll make them look like a douchebag in 'public'.

.... and I guess I feel even shittier because she spent so much time and effort trying to get me to see that I'm maybe not awful but... even now, after all these years, I can't believe it.

so here I am, screaming nonsense at the sky, useless, unemployed, and depressed. ain't life grand.
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #108127 on: October 04, 2016, 12:37:46 pm »

@Caz: Good luck! Also, feel free to PM me if you want inspiration help sometime. I'm pretty good at helping my novelist friend out when he's stuck on something, and I'm happy to help others as well.

@TherosPherae: I'm sure there are people here who would be happy to help you out over PM so you don't have to worry about the public aspect of everything. And in general I don't get the sense that people here are disingenuous about their responses. I've seen plenty of cases where people will speak their minds about what other people say and do, so when you get positive feedback from here don't dismiss it. Chances are it
is quite sincere.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #108128 on: October 04, 2016, 12:37:59 pm »

even here there's that expectation that people won't tell you off for being shit because it'll make them look like a douchebag in 'public'.

simply not true

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108129 on: October 04, 2016, 01:53:01 pm »

simply not true
yeah ok after second thought I guess I'll concede that

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108130 on: October 04, 2016, 01:57:40 pm »

I for one am unconcerned with looking like a douchebag in public, if it's for a good cause.

And man, you already have the two ways to look at this down. Either you are a great person who has trouble with their self image (as so many of us do) or maybe you can (or need to) use this is an opportunity for some change. Sometimes we need tragedy to get us to take a more objective look at ourselves.

In the end, you are the only one who knows. Stay strong, and don't be afraid to be honest with yourself.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108131 on: October 04, 2016, 04:36:33 pm »

You may find it a valuable piece of context that Caz writes novels quite a bit.
Oh!  Okay.  But yeah, let it percolate a bit.

@TherosPherae:*hugs*  I'm sorry for your loss.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #108132 on: October 04, 2016, 04:51:32 pm »

I saw a guy in an image board posting a picture of his late dog, asking for someone to please photoshop the cone his dog was wearing out of the last photo he had of her.

Predictably enough, people started posting photoshop bullshit instead.  >:(
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108133 on: October 04, 2016, 10:04:43 pm »

Life. Not able to talk publicly yet. Sorry for vaguebooking.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108134 on: October 04, 2016, 10:06:38 pm »

*hugs MZero*

It's okay.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 7207 7208 [7209] 7210 7211 ... 8168