Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7149 7150 [7151] 7152 7153 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9460096 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #107250 on: September 01, 2016, 09:05:18 pm »

It might simply be for the same reason that antisocials often find their way into higher management-type positions. The circumstances inherently lend themselves to attracting and benefiting people with certain pathological traits over those without them, so they seem unusually common.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107251 on: September 01, 2016, 11:00:10 pm »

It might simply be for the same reason that antisocials often find their way into higher management-type positions. The circumstances inherently lend themselves to attracting and benefiting people with certain pathological traits over those without them, so they seem unusually common.

You need to be mentally sick to want power over other people. And we live in a mentally sick society, so that desire is very common and often unchecked.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #107252 on: September 02, 2016, 12:19:45 am »

I wouldn't say sick in the head.  The desire for power over other people is an omnipresent thing, down to our every daily interaction.  Definitely agree with your assessment on society's rewarding of rampant power-grabbing, though. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107253 on: September 02, 2016, 01:09:20 am »

Well, reading it over, I don't want to sound as though I'm just a depressed pessimistic cynic that is spouting a generalized truism just to feel more gratified in my depression and pessimism and cynicism, so I'd like to add a caveat: that there's nothing wrong with wanting to be a manager or leader of people, the problem is what they imply, that they're the most important in the group of people with everyone below them being the inferior and less important, which is not only not true but frequently the opposite. It's that implication though that gives the mentally sick an idea of something to strive for, that having power and status over others would innately endow them with the respect and happiness they can't give themselves.

That's probably what leads to the idea that power is corrupting, when I frequently think it's the opposite, that the person was already corrupted and we just couldn't see it until they got the power. We know people that have been in positions of authority but chose to use that power judiciously, we all do, atleast I hope so. The prime difference between that mentally sick person that wants to be in that position of authority and that judicious person, is precisely that one drive, the one where the sick person wants to have power for the sake of having it, while the judicious one wants the power to use it on someone else's behalf. To wield it with a concerted effort to benefit not just the unempowered, but for posterity as well, that is, for all the humans that don't exist yet. That's the difference I was striking at in my original statement, the difference between the corrupting and ennobling pursuit of power.

Perhaps more important than the actual, enforced, systematic powers that comes with titles and positions is the visibility of these people, it's very easy to see the person that sits at the top of the pyramid of hierarchy. It's very appetizing to the person who craves attention more than anything else. The judicious leader I described earlier understands this and strives to be the person he's most happy to see in the mirror, because he understands that there's only one way to lead people, and that's by example. If you're the one that sets the good example, titles and status don't matter, you're the leader.

Though now I feel like I spent all that time writing that, just to take a step back, look at it and go "But that's all common sense."
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 01:15:55 am by JoshuaFH »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #107254 on: September 02, 2016, 02:33:54 am »

Oh hey, depressive mood, I did not miss you at all, you unproductive dipshit.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #107255 on: September 02, 2016, 09:29:50 am »

I'm starting to think my sleep problems might be nerve-related. While I'm tossing and turning, I'm thinking about all of the things that I won't be able to get done because I have to work a real job in order to get paid. Things like programming, looking for freelance jobs, working on the Dream Project That Definitely Won't Get Too Big For Me To Handle And I'll Never Get Tired Of Working Ontm, the textbooks I still need to buy for this school term...

The really bad thing is I could probably have worked on all of these things in the time I spent futilely trying to sleep.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #107256 on: September 02, 2016, 10:04:21 am »

That sounds a lot more like stress than nerves. Unless you meant nervous.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #107257 on: September 02, 2016, 03:05:35 pm »

The Witcher 3's soundtrack is awesome... but.. there is only one issue. There's a cadence of words which, once you hear it, you can't unhear

Behold

BANANA TIGER... BANANA TIGER!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 03:12:25 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #107258 on: September 02, 2016, 03:11:19 pm »

BANANA TALIBAN
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107259 on: September 02, 2016, 03:21:05 pm »

*hugs Cinder*
If I can help at all.

@iinl:That..Really does sound like stress.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #107260 on: September 02, 2016, 03:22:02 pm »

As a Slav and a huge fan of ethnic Slavic music, never had that problem, neither with Witcher 3 or when listening to it four or so years ago. It doesn't even stuck to my head for some reason, huh.
Anyways - The song is Bulgarian, but the Banana Tiger part doesn't actually mean anything, as far as I know. It's their version of "La La La La La", basically musical incomprehensible babbling (~Balala taira). Also, fun fact, it's wedding song meant to be sung ONLY on the Lazareva Subota (Lazarus Saturday) else bad shit happens. Explains the monsters, eh?

Is this the right thread?
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #107261 on: September 02, 2016, 03:38:00 pm »

The Witcher 3 OST is awesome in general. I've seen a translated version of this one here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMB92nmbGxk

Ladies of the Woods is another favorite, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiyOajnJnTg

My two personal favorites are two tracks which are not part of the "official OST" because they're dynamic:

Forefather's Eve: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AtXx_8c4Wg

And (my overall favorite) the combat theme for White Orchad and Kaer Morhen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1x-wJlbf3g
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107263 on: September 02, 2016, 07:16:55 pm »

Depression is rearing its head once again. I feel like I'm falling into a hole. So much crap has been going on lately and it's finally caught up with me. All at once. *sigh*
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107264 on: September 02, 2016, 07:41:09 pm »

Met a cute Econ person, thought I didn't have a shot at all, and now it seems like I might. But I'm too damn yellow to log on to facebook and messenge her there and pick up the conversation D:
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 7149 7150 [7151] 7152 7153 ... 8167