Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7048 7049 [7050] 7051 7052 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9432799 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #105735 on: June 27, 2016, 03:48:51 pm »

Plus, people train as doctors (which is long, difficult, and very expensive) partially because doctors tend to be wealthy.  It's an incentive to reward the personal investment.

There are other reasons to go into medicine, but the economics are most reliable.

I don't know whether to laugh or to cry whenever I hear this stuff.

Ok. To be brief. No, doctors don't tend to be wealthy, but upper middle class at best, and that's by stretching the definitions, and by accepting the premise that getting a moderatedly high total after working crazy (and often mandatory!) hours for a pittance per hour counts as "earning good money" (which I really don't)

EDIT: and before someone asks, no, it's not really significatively different from one country to the next, once you factor in the cost of living and the overhead costs of studying and working. For example: I did some quick estimates a while back of differences in wages between the British NHS and my own country's, and I estimated that after adjusting for costs and expenses, you did earn a bit more in the UK than here (not that difficult to achieve, given that Spain has one the worst doctor wages/purchasing power parity rates in the world), but at the end  of the day it did not amount to a lot of cash.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 04:00:58 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #105736 on: June 27, 2016, 04:54:02 pm »

after our date my crush said to maybe arrange something thursday but when i asked today she said she already had something planned and now i can't stop panicking and thinking dumb thoughts >.<

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #105737 on: June 27, 2016, 06:28:33 pm »

Yes, brain, the fact that I'm going to die in obscurity without accomplishing anything nor being the person I want to be is a useful thought in the morning.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105738 on: June 27, 2016, 06:29:53 pm »

You already accomplished things, Cinder.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105739 on: June 27, 2016, 06:30:17 pm »

Yes, brain, the fact that I'm going to die in obscurity without accomplishing anything nor being the person I want to be is a useful thought in the morning.
S.A.D.?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105740 on: June 27, 2016, 06:32:41 pm »

Starting this Wednesday, I'm on meds for the rest of my life.
Thankfully the condition in question (hypothyroidism, aka underactive thyroid) that I have is not life-threatening (not directly anyway, unless you count death by constipation or being led to suicide via depression, neither of which seem particularly likely in my case)...But I'm still not excited about that kind of addition to my daily schedule for the rest of my days.

What sucks more about it is that I have to take said meds immediately after waking up AND then wait for at least half an hour before eating anything.
That might be a bit more difficult to get used to. :<

I kinda jinxed myself by listening to that one Delain song for two days straight and 'bragging' about not having to take any meds in a Discord server, but oh well. I guess I get to be a part of the "permanently on drugs" club now.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105741 on: June 27, 2016, 06:33:39 pm »

*hugpats Maks*
Ah well...

Also, *hugs Cinder*
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #105742 on: June 27, 2016, 06:37:08 pm »

Dying in obscurity can't be all that bad. I've never heard anyone complain, at least. Of course, the real issue in this case is likely an unrealistic goal for fame.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #105743 on: June 27, 2016, 06:39:37 pm »

Relevant personal text
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #105744 on: June 27, 2016, 06:46:50 pm »

The conservatives earned 15 more seats than last time,  in the repeat election in Spain, despite rampart corruption, and evidence of using the security forces of the state in order to attack and discredit their political opponents. I'd never despaired so much after an election

Wasn't there also a government minister involved in trying to smear the leader of the Catalan Independence Party with, of all things, the Catalan anti-fraud official?

Edit: Ha! I do remember some things.

Hence my comment about using the state apparatus to attack and discredit their opponents. There is a slim chance of them not staying in power but its very slim.

Meh. I cant even sleep. I have consultation tomorrow and I cant even sleep. This might have been the last serious attempt in a long while to break the turnover of the two major parties and it has been an utter failure.

Both in my home region and in Catalonia other alternative parties actually did well. Maybe the independentists do have a point about wanting to secede, after all.

And here I had assumed you were already a beret (which is called "basker" in Swedish by the way) toting freedom fighter, burkide. I am a little disappointed.

No, doctors don't tend to be wealthy, but upper middle class at best

While I do recognise that doctors, particularly those who aren't already decades in the field, are most often not as wealthy as they ate portrayed in popular culture, I do wonder by what measures "upper middle class" do not count as wealthy?
Love, scriver~

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #105745 on: June 27, 2016, 06:57:17 pm »

Plus, people train as doctors (which is long, difficult, and very expensive) partially because doctors tend to be wealthy.  It's an incentive to reward the personal investment.

There are other reasons to go into medicine, but the economics are most reliable.

I don't know whether to laugh or to cry whenever I hear this stuff.

Ok. To be brief. No, doctors don't tend to be wealthy, but upper middle class at best, and that's by stretching the definitions, and by accepting the premise that getting a moderatedly high total after working crazy (and often mandatory!) hours for a pittance per hour counts as "earning good money" (which I really don't)

EDIT: and before someone asks, no, it's not really significatively different from one country to the next, once you factor in the cost of living and the overhead costs of studying and working. For example: I did some quick estimates a while back of differences in wages between the British NHS and my own country's, and I estimated that after adjusting for costs and expenses, you did earn a bit more in the UK than here (not that difficult to achieve, given that Spain has one the worst doctor wages/purchasing power parity rates in the world), but at the end  of the day it did not amount to a lot of cash.
My mom is asking which of your orifice is your source.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #105746 on: June 27, 2016, 08:06:06 pm »

He's a doctor, Jim, not an economist.
Love, scriver~

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #105747 on: June 27, 2016, 08:34:41 pm »

That feel when you are paid in USD and the conversion rate to GBP has shat itself because the UK is full of racist, ignorant twats.

Ramen it is then.
Not to invalidate your sads, but don't dollars now sell for more pounds than they did before?

Yeah you're right. I think all this brexit stuff has done in my head to the point that I can't maths. So... one positive thing for the split then?

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #105748 on: June 27, 2016, 08:39:29 pm »

He's a doctor, Jim, not an economist.
How appropriate, my sads is Star Trek related.

Specifically, after making a thread about it in Play with Your Buddies, I've found conclusively that NO FUCKING ONE ON THIS ENTIRE DAMN FORUM PLAYS STAR TREK ONLINE. Fucking hell. There are about 3 people who've played in the past, but don't anymore for varying reasons. I mean damn, its the only MMO I can stand and I can't play with mah buddies, I.E. the entire point of an MMO.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #105749 on: June 27, 2016, 08:40:10 pm »

People play Star Trek Online? ???
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 7048 7049 [7050] 7051 7052 ... 8167