Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6983 6984 [6985] 6986 6987 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9448201 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #104760 on: May 08, 2016, 04:42:49 am »

But I don't need them to develop. I would prefer it if they stopped complaining
I think that's development right there. :P

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #104761 on: May 08, 2016, 04:56:57 am »

There's a new guy at my work that frankly does not know how to socially interact with people. He talks to seemingly himself nigh-constantly, has this semi-sincere dead-eyed look, and is overall just ... weird. He'll say 'you're welcome' when he asks you for help with something and you agree. His trains of conversations stop and start completely at random, he'll start offering details of his personal life with absolutely no prompting - the way he commonly starts conversations is to just start saying something like 'I'm having a pretty good day today, I had pizza for lunch, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc', and it's impossible to tell if he's trying to talk to you or muttering really loudly to himself. He's never been hostile or anything, yet literally everyone in my department despises him. It's outright bizarre, even the dude who outright sexually harassed everyone wasn't this badly received.

For my part I find him annoying - to the extent that he makes my eye involuntarily twitch when I'm around him - but I could tolerate him. I've tolerated worse people in my life with no issues before, you just ignore them as best you can and put them out of your mind, do what you can to find the good sides to them.

But he makes my friends miserable. I was visiting them - okay, visiting the one girl who's caused me so much consternation over the last two years because I'm an doofus who can't learn from my mistakes - and she was outright miserable; the guy apparently annoyed the head cook into leaving early because she was 'sick', causing everyone else - my friend and two others - to have a shitty night. It's ... I don't like disliking people. I really don't. I enjoy seeing people as solely negative constructs. Shit, even my stepfather who I never talk to or see anymore on account of the 10+ years of emotional abuse I still see as a good person in some aspects. But this guy ... fuck, it feels bad and crude to form an opinion of him like that just from such a short timespan of knowing him, but I really, really don't like him. He makes the person I
love miserable and that in turn makes me miserable and feel worthless because I can't make her feel better and I hate this guy who I've known for barely three weeks for it and I feel disgusted with myself because I shouldn't be that goddamn judgemental and now I've spent nearly the whole evening feeling shitty about myself because one goddamn guy couldn't be a socially adept person, and this in turn also makes me feel shitty about feeling shitty about myself because it wasn't me he was affecting with his shittiness, it was my friend. What right have I to feel all self-pitying and shit over something that ostensibly doesn't even effect me?

So essentially my whole evening's been spent being trapped up in a big ball of conflicting sads because someone else felt bad. I've been feeling sad for being selfish because I couldn't make my friend feel better and out of a more selfish bent because my friend was stressed at the same time. It's ... eurgh. I don't like it.
And yet it's only a product of my own mind - I only feel shitty like this on my own. It's just a shame that I don't connect with friends more. I haven't hung out outside of work with anyone I know for more than two, probably three or four months. I really should. Just don't know how. I occasionally ask but the plans never go anywhere no matter who I ask. So I don't know if I should stop bothering or ... God I'm a mess. I won't feel as bad tomorrow, but God I'm a mess. It's a constant struggle to not sink down into depression, and doing it without the metaphorical life vests that friends provide just makes it more difficult. And I know that I do a good job keeping a good attitude, keeping myself occupied, and right now is only one of my occasional slipups. Happens to everyone. But fuck if it doesn't feel shitty when I hit my lowest points like this and I don't have anyone I can talk to but a fucking cat. I should talk to more people other than my one friend, because she's a busy person and can't talk much - or maybe doesn't want to but no that's anxiety talking - but conversations never last long and there's never any followup so I've stopped bothering for the most part. I've been told that I can't rely on other people to start the conversation, that I gotta put effort in, but when I not only have to contact someone, start a conversation, laboriously carry it through whatever awkward semblance of halfhearted responses they give, but do the same for every subsequent conversation, it starts to feel like I'm not wanted. I know that's not necessarily the case, but when I stopped trying to talk to my friend regularly because I felt like I didn't have anything to talk about and she never really responded with anything but generic replies - likely just busy - I didn't get a single message from anyone for like 4 months. I was still seeing her once or twice a week at work of course, but I get tired of that. I wanna interact with someone while I'm not working. I want to talk with my friend about something other than the workplace that I've grown so fucking apathetic towards. I want to feel wanted. And I don't know that I can get that anywhere in my life right now; closest I have is the karate dojo I go to and I've been going there three times a week an hour's drive there and back, two hours bussing, for like 8 years now. I love going there, it's the only thing keeping me sane sometimes, but it doesn't translate over into the rest of my life.

I don't go out of the house at all, because that would imply that someone wants to meet me out there. I don't drink - well, I do, but I haven't for probably two months because alcohol's a social drug and if I started drinking on my own I'd likely either become an alcoholic. I don't spend money at all because I never go out, I don't go to parties or ... I don't do anything people my age typically do, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but for the most part I don't because they're all social things and I don't ever get invited to anything. Shit, even my one close friend I hear all the time from about the stuff she does with people and I can't help but think 'why am I never a person you hang out with? I get that you're busy, but we're friends, aren't we?' And of course that's being kinda selfish because I see her at work fairly regularly but shit that's just not enough sometimes. I wanna talk about something other than my stupid fucking job and the new fucking stupid co-worker and hear about all the people you're hanging out with and wonder what that would be like because it's been so long I've nearly fucking forgotten.
But the few times I've asked, the plans fall through like they always do. I never get a message saying when exactly we'll hang out, or if one particular day is okay or not, or if she even wants to. It happens solely because I try to force it and the moment the planning goes over to her I never hear back. And then when the day comes about and I'm at work because I got called in and figured why the fuck not, she hasn't replied back so it's probably a no, she comes by and visits while hanging out with someone else. It's ... I feel bad about being jealous and angry like this. She can do what she likes, I'm probably just not doing something right in my interactions or my perception is biased. But still.

Man, fuck depression. And fuck whoever keeps bugging me to have kids, not only am I not willing to sacrifice my (failing) dreams and life to create someone else's, I wouldn't pass this onto anyone else for all the money in the world.

I'm tired, I can tell. I'll feel better after sleeping. Not necessarily happy, but forum games will have updated, webcomics posted, people shared stupid timewasting facebook links. Stuff to occupy my brain and distract it from my depression, which tends to come out when I'm alone with my thoughts like this.

Bleh. That turned rambly real fast.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104762 on: May 08, 2016, 05:03:47 am »

Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #104763 on: May 08, 2016, 05:11:30 am »

People who get offended over petty things deserve to be offended.

Offense isn't really something that has forethought ascribed to it. It's a reactive revulsion.

Being offensive is a lot like being fat. You represent a considerable and most likely growing portion of the population fostered by a new age of technology and convenience. There's a lot of people who won't care at all about you being such, or just quietly file you away as the fat guy. And when somebody brings it up, sure, you could say that their negativism about you is bringing you down and you've heard it all before, and also potentially that this person is a colossal dick for calling you fat in public.

On the other hand, regardless of how much this bothers you, at the end of the day you're still morbidly obese. And just like being fat, being offensive is very easy to self-justify and feel righteously indignant about in both directions. And being called out on it is likely productive only as far as it promotes the idea that your state of being is unacceptable in polite, healthy society. Plus there's whole communities on the internet who will vehemently defend you against any accusations and that you can easily find refuge in to nurture a deep-seated rage against the rest of society who don't tolerate your choices.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #104764 on: May 08, 2016, 05:59:47 am »

Storm knocked out the power lines in hundreds of places around the area, so sporadic power for a couple days is in the forcast.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #104765 on: May 08, 2016, 06:39:12 am »

Storm knocked out the power lines in hundreds of places around the area, so sporadic power for a couple days is in the forcast.
Zeus is punishing you for your impiety. You don't deserve his gift of electricity.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

technicallyAdventurer

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Above User in a Nutshell.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104766 on: May 08, 2016, 07:10:13 am »

apparently going by nick (with a k) is "oddly masculine" for me but i mean what does it matter it's not m,y *real* name anyway

-dry laugh-
Although rare in most lands, the technicallyAdventurer is a common sight in the User Above You threads.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #104767 on: May 08, 2016, 07:12:30 am »

It just sucks that my best barely measure up to another's casual.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104768 on: May 08, 2016, 07:36:29 am »

apparently going by nick (with a k) is "oddly masculine" for me but i mean what does it matter it's not m,y *real* name anyway

-dry laugh-
Are you, um, trying for that?  But seriously, it's the name you want to be called, yeah?  So whoever's making a fuss should really just be dealing with it.  (That is, if they are in fact making a fuss.  It might have been just a comment.  But nevertheless.)
Who's measuring, exactly?  I know you keep on underestimating yourself.  Also, formal dress is a complicated beast.
That sucks...
Best of luck, and stay safe.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 08:39:34 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #104769 on: May 08, 2016, 08:05:16 am »

-dry laugh-
Are you, um, trying for that?  But seriously, it's the name you want to be called, yeah?  So whoever's making a fuss should really just be dealing with it.  (That is, if they are in fact making a fuss.  It might have been just a comment.  But nevertheless.)
Who's measuring, exactly?  I know you keep on underestimating yourself.  Also, fornal dress is a complicated beast.
That sucks...
Best of luck, and stay safe.
I uh, couldn't find a better word for it, but I meant as in people don't have to try as hard to beat me at, y'know, everything. Maybe I'm just a competitive person who has way too many interests to commit.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104770 on: May 08, 2016, 08:42:52 am »

Ah.  I don't know what to say to that, really.  I mean, it's possible you're right, but...That's not what I want to say.
Sigtext

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #104771 on: May 08, 2016, 08:55:47 am »

Just because I'm sad doesn't mean I can't handle reality. lol

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #104772 on: May 08, 2016, 08:56:27 am »

You measure the output. If you will only compare yourself, you may mostly find yourself wanting. Use what heights you see in others as something to tell yourself "I can be like this", to orient you to see how they got so 'naturally good' at stuff.

It won't do any help if you call 'everything' and 'nothing' to your own merits and efforts. Look at how they got there instead of where they're at and where you're at, alone. And then don't demean yourself at that point. :-\

YEAH YOU DO THE THING :I

Sads: Depression.
Woke up at 1pm because of it. ._.
But I can deal.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 10:16:57 am by Tiruin »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104773 on: May 08, 2016, 09:14:07 am »

Yeah, but I'm not sure that it is the reality of the situation.

And, also what Tiruin said.

@Tiruin:
*starts hugpile*
Sigtext

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104774 on: May 08, 2016, 10:12:41 am »

*hugs for everyone who needs them*
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now
Pages: 1 ... 6983 6984 [6985] 6986 6987 ... 8167