Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6982 6983 [6984] 6985 6986 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9449013 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #104745 on: May 07, 2016, 09:51:10 pm »

This isn't necessecarily today, and it's more of an anger thing than a sad thing, but I'm still upset about it all the same. Better yet, this two things instead of one.

Spoiler: THE FIRST THING (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: THE SECOND THING (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Actually finished my post.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 09:56:00 pm by AzyWng »

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104746 on: May 07, 2016, 10:12:00 pm »

They were square as opposed to diamond, and I remember there being a religious symbol that had an unfortunate resemblance to a swastika,
More than a resemblance.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

The nazis used swastikas because of their popularity at the time, and because of its links to the Aryans. Highly doubt that the person was using it in a Hindu, Buddhist, or Jain context though.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #104747 on: May 07, 2016, 10:20:11 pm »

They were square as opposed to diamond, and I remember there being a religious symbol that had an unfortunate resemblance to a swastika,
More than a resemblance.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

The nazis used swastikas because of their popularity at the time, and because of its links to the Aryans. Highly doubt that the person was using it in a Hindu, Buddhist, or Jain context though.

Like I said, the guy had a history of shit.

He was probably shit at history as well.

He was just fooling around during class.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #104748 on: May 07, 2016, 11:14:12 pm »

Every time I open my mouth I offend people. Every. Damn. Time. Why do I even speak anymore? First it's one thing, then the other...I just can't win with me around.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #104749 on: May 07, 2016, 11:32:13 pm »

Spoiler: THE FIRST THING (click to show/hide)
It doesn't sound like he really did anything too bad though, aside from the arm twisting which is clearly (light) physical violence and deserving of some kind of (I'd say light) punishment. Doodling swastikas on paper isn't a crime. It's probably in bad taste due to the heavy social stigma against swastikas in western society, but drawing the image itself isn't a crime. If it were vandalism on public property or something, yeah it'd be pretty bad, but just scratch paper that I assume the guy himself owned, not really all that bad, just stupid and edgy.

Every time I open my mouth I offend people. Every. Damn. Time. Why do I even speak anymore? First it's one thing, then the other...I just can't win with me around.
People seem to be offended too easily nowadays. If you're not trying to offend people but they get offended anyway, I'd say it's their problem for being offended, not your problem for offending them. You can't please everyone all the time every time. Don't hold it against yourself.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #104750 on: May 08, 2016, 01:04:51 am »

People seem to be offended too easily nowadays. If you're not trying to offend people but they get offended anyway, I'd say it's their problem for being offended, not your problem for offending them.
This is my justification for saying offensive things
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #104751 on: May 08, 2016, 01:27:25 am »

People seem to be offended too easily nowadays. If you're not trying to offend people but they get offended anyway, I'd say it's their problem for being offended, not your problem for offending them.
That's offensive. jk

Really though, it's one thing to be going around saying clearing inflammatory shit to people (ex:"you're fat" or "you're ugly" or "I hate brown people" or etc) and another to just mention some word you consider harmless (like, say, "tomato") and find that you've just "triggered" some person who's had some horrible traumatic experience related to that word in their past which you knew absolutely nothing about before you accidentally mentioned the word. I wouldn't hold someone accountable for a little slip-up like that, it's an unintentional accident. No reason to beat yourself up over accidents or mistakes.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #104752 on: May 08, 2016, 01:34:15 am »

That's offensive. jk

nah it's pretty childish

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #104753 on: May 08, 2016, 02:08:51 am »

I wish there was an anger-based thread.

I'm doing a group project, one person has posted their 1/4 of the essay. It's 300 words and filled with parenthesis saying [please add here] or [please expand] or somesuch. I've done my piece, the biggest one at around 1300 words. Not a huuuuge amount, but still a lot given it's only a 3000 word essay and there are four of us. So now I'm writing out her part too, burning it like it could breed, so I can start again. The problems she had with finding the price of things I fixed by simple google searches, and a single phone call to a museum. Literally, she just could not be bothered. If I weren't marked on her contribution as well, I'd leave her to her own floundering.

Most of the work in this "group" project has been done by me. It was my idea for the original project, it's my suggestions that have shaped everybody else's work, and now it turns out that my already bigger piece will be made bigger by other people not pulling their weight.
If I were in your position, I'd just destroy all of my work and screw over the entire group, because they don't deserve to get anything from work they didn't do.
Don't destroy your work.
What this guy said :X
Do NOT destroy your work by sinking your own ship just to get at the crewmates who aren't pulling their own weight.
What you CAN do is first talk to EACH ONE PERSONALLY and give your concerns in an OBJECTIVE manner. Emphasize or appeal to personal development if it's a possible last resort (because it won't help them in the long-run if they aren't firstly, self-committed; if they are, maybe they just need a nudge or reminder, or a bigger overview [which is what you're doing here, but by yourself])

If such cannot be effectively performed, approach your instructor during their free/consultation time and broach this topic with them in private.

I have the slight impression i'm slowly turning into an asshole. [...]

You mean your perception :P Or your attitude. But nobody is pretty much figuratively that; it's their attitude and how they deal with it, their thoughts and how they work with it. Just because you receive a specific type of thought firsthand doesn't mean this is PRIMARILY AND NECESSARILY WHAT YOU REALLY ARE ONLY THINKING. Especially in the context of negativity, because this is a current happening on the continuum of lived experiences. Meaning, it is a state of mind :O
Life now just seems to becoming more mundane, dull, negative and unrewarding. I thought multiple times on giving up, but i know it's not the answer.
This is an indicator of awareness. Further it up with forging your own opportunities and working with broadening perspectives, to alleviate or avoid getting into living with monotony. A negative thought is only as powerful as how much space it takes up, and the recesses of the mind are abstractly and constructively infinite.

That's offensive. jk

nah it's pretty childish
What Putnam said. :P If you think the other person is going to be offended easily, why blame them and defend yourself by saying it's not my problem? That goes parallel to the same level of development 'easily offended' is. Why do that when you can work together in facing what makes this offensive and grow together in maturing either's perspective?

It confuses me, that one line. 'Not my problem. Not your problem. Their problem.' or many instances of how you word it. It's like there's lacking notice of why these things happen, and more notice on 'this just happens'. :-\

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #104754 on: May 08, 2016, 02:34:34 am »

I'm 90% sure that I'm unhappy because of my immediate family. However, we're all so fucked up and financially interdependent that none of us are functioning adult individuals, myself included. Even if I dropped my studies and was able to save up enough money to move out as a result... where would I go? The next cheapest apartment complex, a mile or so in town? That's just moving the problem, and we'd all still be fucking broke and within ten minute's drive of eachother, so congratulations, I've cut off my nose to spite my face.

Of course, not that my studies really seem to matter at all. After I've taken all the classes I can take here, I'll have my AA degree and a whole lot of nowhere to go from there.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #104755 on: May 08, 2016, 03:47:20 am »

What Putnam said. :P If you think the other person is going to be offended easily, why blame them and defend yourself by saying it's not my problem? That goes parallel to the same level of development 'easily offended' is. Why do that when you can work together in facing what makes this offensive and grow together in maturing either's perspective?

It confuses me, that one line. 'Not my problem. Not your problem. Their problem.' or many instances of how you word it. It's like there's lacking notice of why these things happen, and more notice on 'this just happens'. :-\
chaotic skies' initial post sounded like he was being hard on himself over offending people. My intents with my post were to say that he is overreacting about offending people. Yeah, it's good to try to avoid offending people, but sometimes it can't be helped and accidents happen or the wrong word slips out or someone interprets your words wrong. It's not the absolute end of the world if it happens and someone's feelings get hurt. Learn from the mistake and move on.

Other peoples feelings matter but that doesn't mean your own feelings don't matter and you should shame and belittle yourself because you upset other people. Being overly critical of yourself for small failings or mistakes is not healthy.

I really could've worded my initial post better, in retrospect.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #104756 on: May 08, 2016, 03:58:49 am »

I genuinely considered moving to China for a bit, even though I can barely speak and am mostly illiterate in Chinese, not to mention the problems the Chinese themselves have.

Well you'll be happy to know China has just taken another bold step against sexual depravity by banning the turpitudious act of eating bananas on the internet. Big Brother only cares for the cleanliness of your soul.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 04:03:26 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104757 on: May 08, 2016, 04:02:03 am »

People who get offended over petty things deserve to be offended.

No, people insulting Vegemite is not a petty thing.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #104758 on: May 08, 2016, 04:35:35 am »

People who get offended over petty things deserve to be offended.
That's the kinda thing that doesn't help :/
Telling others they DESERVE to {something negative} won't help them develop. Maybe they more likely don't know it's petty, or that they're in an environment which exudes pressure or has a certain cultural aspect that makes that 'petty' thing seem really important or integral, or that there's a rigidity of perspective that keeps the impression they got act as if it's really, really impactful.

But srsly. "Deserve". >_>
It's better off saying that they should learn from why they're offended and mature from it...than telling that they who get offended deserve to get offended, as that sets the impression that doesn't help the other person. :-\
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 04:37:32 am by Tiruin »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104759 on: May 08, 2016, 04:40:09 am »

But I don't need them to develop. I would prefer it if they stopped complaining, but if they continue to do so it doesn't particularly matter.
That just makes them people to avoid interacting with where possible.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 6982 6983 [6984] 6985 6986 ... 8167