Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6947 6948 [6949] 6950 6951 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9451822 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #104220 on: April 13, 2016, 01:39:41 am »

yeah i guess names are more important.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 01:43:22 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104221 on: April 13, 2016, 01:47:28 am »

That "wall" you're describing for me is almost always (and is in this case, too,) just getting started. The scope of things that I want to do is daunting, and the knowledge that I have of the topic at hand is very limited.
Update: I now have a 7 page "Design Document," which is basically just a list of shit I want to do and how I want to do it. Why is this in the sad thread? Seeing it all laid out like this is making me panic. I'm worried that a) I missed something, b) I'm not good enough to get it done, and c) it's utterly unrealistic to expect that someone like me will be able to accomplish this.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 02:26:51 am by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104222 on: April 13, 2016, 05:05:31 am »

@MZero:You can punch the work into submission via sheer awesome.
We believe in you.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

karhell

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_A_MOLPY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104223 on: April 13, 2016, 08:03:24 am »

That "wall" you're describing for me is almost always (and is in this case, too,) just getting started. The scope of things that I want to do is daunting, and the knowledge that I have of the topic at hand is very limited.
Update: I now have a 7 page "Design Document," which is basically just a list of shit I want to do and how I want to do it. Why is this in the sad thread? Seeing it all laid out like this is making me panic. I'm worried that a) I missed something, b) I'm not good enough to get it done, and c) it's utterly unrealistic to expect that someone like me will be able to accomplish this.
Start small and iterate from there. Go for the minimum viable product, then remake it with refinements.
As an example, if you wanted to make a roguelike:
First iteration is literally a blank screen. You now know how to set up your canvas for display.
Second iteration, you get an '@' moving around on said blank screen. Congratulations, you've learned to register keyboard input and refresh your display.
Third iteration, you make sure that '@' doesn't move offscreen. You now have a level.
Fourth iteration, add a bit of HUD to display HP, name and whatever else.
Then you add a static enemy.
Which you then get to attack when the character gets next to it
So you give the character the ability to strike first... etc

Rewrite your first iterations completely to get as familiar with the basics as possible. Only reuse what needs little to no modification to work in the new context.

That should get you started.

Just... Try not to punch your computer ^^

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104224 on: April 13, 2016, 09:32:19 am »

I'm probably not going to be able to afford to go to college this year.
Can you see if there is a teacher's assistant job you can get at your college?  Way back when I was going to college, I was a teacher's assistant as an undergrad and they paid for my tuition plus a little extra money (few hundred?) each month.  In grad school I did the same thing, but then they paid for tuition plus $1K per month.  Pretty sweet deal for just having to grade papers and have, like, six office hours per week.

Hopping on the username train late, I usually am able to get Shakerag most places that I register on, but when I can't I switch to ShakeragStreet (due to Shakerag Street being where I got the name from in the first place). 

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #104225 on: April 13, 2016, 09:43:20 am »

* Cinder hugs everyone
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104226 on: April 13, 2016, 10:06:54 am »

I'm probably not going to be able to afford to go to college this year.
Can you see if there is a teacher's assistant job you can get at your college?  Way back when I was going to college, I was a teacher's assistant as an undergrad and they paid for my tuition plus a little extra money (few hundred?) each month.  In grad school I did the same thing, but then they paid for tuition plus $1K per month.  Pretty sweet deal for just having to grade papers and have, like, six office hours per week.
Damn, that does sound like a good deal!  I did a combination of calc tutor, Maple lab "consultant" (watch the computers and help people through the programming aspect) and eventually TA'd discrete math.  It was almost enough to cover my in-state public tuition, particularly since I lived with my family...

In case it sounds like I'm bragging, I flunked out of CompSci after 5 years :P  There were reasons, or excuses.  On the plus side no debt, and I actually learned a lot about computers science and life.  Lucked out with an IT job which led to better things.  Not having a 4-year degree has always held me back a bit, though, and is pretty much a cap now.

It's hard to think about going back and studying all that theory, though...  I really prefer my job.  I'd love a 2-year technical program but that won't cut it.  Sigh.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104227 on: April 13, 2016, 10:47:54 am »

Just realised I forgot to respond to something several pages back... I hope your eyesight is okay (or as okay as possible), Tiruin. :-\
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #104228 on: April 13, 2016, 07:08:37 pm »

Reason # 1927625 that capitalism is stupid and broken:

The people who are most directly involved and held the most accountable in operational decision making for complex international logistics situations where the consequences are in the millions of dollars if the slightest thing goes wrong... are also the people who are paid the least for making it happen.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104229 on: April 13, 2016, 09:53:03 pm »

I'm tired of the (United States) South. I've been here eight months and I still can't figure out how I'm supposed to learn to interact with people when other people act friendly to just about anything until you unknowingly offend them one too many times and they get angry or offended and completely change how they act towards you.

:'(
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104230 on: April 13, 2016, 10:20:16 pm »

*hugs everybody...*
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #104231 on: April 14, 2016, 03:18:55 am »

My hair is falling out. I'm developing a bald spot right above my forehead. I'm only 23. I don't want to be old yet. I want to do kid stuff.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #104232 on: April 14, 2016, 04:33:51 am »

You can always get an implant. Not ideal but ir works. Just look at Silvio Berlusconi
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #104233 on: April 14, 2016, 05:06:06 am »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36041534

Gareth Thomas - The eponymous Blake from Blake's 7. RIP.  :'(

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #104234 on: April 14, 2016, 09:34:30 am »

My hair is falling out. I'm developing a bald spot right above my forehead. I'm only 23. I don't want to be old yet. I want to do kid stuff.

Become Patrick Stewart.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 6947 6948 [6949] 6950 6951 ... 8167