Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6929 6930 [6931] 6932 6933 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9443666 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #103950 on: April 05, 2016, 04:31:38 pm »

That's why I don't play DF anymore. Or League of Legends. Or Hearthstone. Or most old-school RPGs where a bad initial build can screw you for the entire game.

If I'm going to lose, I want to lose right away. I don't want to slowly spiral out of control until I want to quit before I've even properly lost.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #103951 on: April 05, 2016, 07:29:48 pm »

Well they confirmed that yes, mom does have cancer on her thyroid. Fuckberries.
* Cunder hugs

Cancer is BS

Some dudes just tried to trick me into making some sort of donation. I didn't realize that was a thing people did. If anyone on the street asks you to sign something, don't do it.

They made it sound like these magazines were already going to be donated, and they just needed to get people to vote on the choices. That sounded suspicious, but they described it as a public speaking thing for college, so I assumed it was some shitty internship. Then they asked for my signature to confirm the votes, which I figure is about as binding as a petition, but as soon as I did that they started talking about billing. I tried to politely inform the guy I'm broke right now, and he tells me I already signed so I can't back out. So I ripped half the receipt out of his hands and walked away as we exchanged some choice words. Not very graceful, but it was my only option left.

Normally I'd assume I misheard something, but my first instinct was that these guys wanted money from me and I was listening for that the entire time because I knew I couldn't spare any. So yeah... that's why I'm going to be more guarded and suspicious when dealing with strangers for a while.
I don't think it's even legal for them to do that?

wasted 6 hours of my life on a civ 5 game that just suddenly devolved into bullshit i cant do anything about

why the fuck did i spend money on this garbage
That's why I don't play DF anymore. Or League of Legends. Or Hearthstone. Or most old-school RPGs where a bad initial build can screw you for the entire game.

If I'm going to lose, I want to lose right away. I don't want to slowly spiral out of control until I want to quit before I've even properly lost.
This is the main reason I haven't gotten the game yet. I might get it to play multiplayer, but really I'm not a fan of the game's pace.

Though I don't think Civ 5 is supposed to be p,ayed to win? I mean, it's like Hearts of Iron, you don't expect to rule the world.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #103952 on: April 05, 2016, 07:31:38 pm »

wasted 6 hours of my life on a civ 5 game that just suddenly devolved into bullshit i cant do anything about

why the fuck did i spend money on this garbage
The problem with Civ V and all civ games is, when you start losing, it works like DF. Its a slow process that just gets worse and worse and kills you slowly until there is nothing left. Its a good game, so I suggest you try again.

My own strategy is, regardless of who I play as, I rush to get great library and great lighthouse right away. It helps immensely to get yourself ahead, and it also secures naval dominance. A lot of people get mad at me when I play because I usually wonder rush things, but it keeps me at an advantage I always want

And yet you won't play.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #103953 on: April 05, 2016, 08:47:46 pm »

Valve is being mean today.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103954 on: April 05, 2016, 08:49:15 pm »

?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #103955 on: April 05, 2016, 08:52:39 pm »

Valve is mean the same way a docile giant is mean. He'll stomp your house flat and eat your sheep, and then you'll complain and he won't hear you, and then he'll maybe cry about it later if he learns that it hurt you but mostly because it means he won't get any more sheep.

EDIT: there are two problems in my life. you could say there are more, but really it all boils down to two.

1. adhd

2. i can't draw

the former can be treated. The latter... I have a tablet. It's lying over there. I could plug it in and get practicing. But oh my god my excuse is literally a symptom of ADHD (it would be too much of a time investment). Fuck that, I'm getting this fixed ASAP. The worst part is that I don't want to think that way. I don't want to want to do only things that I can interrupt immediately and go do something else during. But I do want that. Constantly. I have homework to do right now. It would require my undivided concentration for too long, so I'm avoiding it. I don't want to avoid it. That's what's happening.

I am fixing this. Starting tomorrow, it's treated. I might be a different person with medication? But who cares? I don't like what it makes me.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 09:02:09 pm by Putnam »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #103956 on: April 05, 2016, 09:11:42 pm »

That's the spirit!
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #103957 on: April 05, 2016, 09:17:38 pm »

I find all these complaints of "losing" in DF odd, because in the last five years I've seldom "lost" DF games except due to messing up at the very beginning. I daresay once you get your fortress running it's not that easy to "lose". Except by FPS death. Which can be circumveited with the right parameters as well...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #103958 on: April 05, 2016, 09:22:11 pm »

Sims gotta sim.

And I mean, DF is a simulation first and foremost, so unlike Civ 5, it has an excuse to fudge you over.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #103959 on: April 05, 2016, 09:26:24 pm »

but it doesn't- That's my point. All things considered DF is not *that* hard.

I don't even bother with a real army for the most part (mostly because I tend to have problems with markdwaves not training properly). I use traps and barriers.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #103960 on: April 05, 2016, 09:28:17 pm »

I think that just means your settlement is not Fun enough. :P

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #103961 on: April 05, 2016, 09:30:21 pm »

Yeah there's a lot more lategame challenge that could be added. Having to actively seek out difficult places to settle kinda defeats the purpose.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103962 on: April 05, 2016, 09:31:52 pm »

Hey, I still suck at DF. I haven't even managed to create a functioning pump system, or farms that worked for more than a season or two.
(My military is usually pretty good, though, once I've managed to scrape together enough gear for at least one squad of badasses.)

As a matter of fact I just started a fort last night/this morning. Maybe this time I'll finally keep playing long enough to get gud. :P
That reminds me, I had a really good military coming along in the last version. Maybe I should drag that save kicking and screaming into v.06.)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #103963 on: April 05, 2016, 09:37:06 pm »

I have far too many options on what to do with my free time, so whenever I get any I just aimlessly poke around, trying to decide what to do, until I run out of free time.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #103964 on: April 05, 2016, 09:38:35 pm »

And even then the problem is mostly the beginning.

I dont go for crazy sites anymore because of wasting time in false starts. But I've had thriving communities in biomes with husk-creating mist. I even managed to trade, and get migrants. I set several entrances with bridge-driven airlocks operated from inside. This managed to keep both the mist AND the husks out reasonably well. During good weather I was even able to build a few secure towers around the entrances. Of course, sometimes migrants decided to drop around in the middle of evil weather... too bad for them. But yeah, in general terms the fortress thrived.

The biggest problem was not getting torn apart during the early period in the fortress. I think I used to do it by sealing up my initial dwarves completely until I had a working industry running, and working from there.
Pages: 1 ... 6929 6930 [6931] 6932 6933 ... 8167