Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6915 6916 [6917] 6918 6919 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9420398 times)

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #103740 on: April 01, 2016, 08:51:24 pm »

@Greatorder: For the record, no I am not a special person. I might not be Coops but I'm still not the kind of guy people like to hang around.

@Vector: Oh. I didn't know that, sorry.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #103741 on: April 01, 2016, 08:54:33 pm »

EDIT: People still tell me I look like Harry Potter
I think the only reason I stopped hearing it was because I got a different pair of glasses and grew my hair out. And hopefully because I've reached the age where my peers have the wisdom and/or social grace to not compare people they just met to fictional characters.

Still hear how I look "smart". Which I don't know if that's a compliment or just a roundabout way of saying I look like a cold emotionless asshat. Or just because I have glasses.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103742 on: April 01, 2016, 08:56:08 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 06:18:37 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #103743 on: April 01, 2016, 08:56:46 pm »

The smart thing is normally from glasses, but it could be pretty much anything.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #103744 on: April 01, 2016, 09:10:22 pm »

You don't have to apologize! Hahahahaha. I'm not offended.

They always said that I look like Hermione, but I identified more with Snape.
And now I'm sad again because I don't know who any of these people are which reminds me of being sheltered.

EDIT: People still tell me I look like Harry Potter
I think the only reason I stopped hearing it was because I got a different pair of glasses and grew my hair out. And hopefully because I've reached the age where my peers have the wisdom and/or social grace to not compare people they just met to fictional characters.

Still hear how I look "smart". Which I don't know if that's a compliment or just a roundabout way of saying I look like a cold emotionless asshat. Or just because I have glasses.
People do that to me too. I'm starting to think it's part of a larger plot for people to pick on us nerds. Why is it always the same shit for everyone?

@Greatorder: For the record, no I am not a special person. I might not be Coops but I'm still not the kind of guy people like to hang around.
Never intended to imply that, if that's what it seemed like.

And as cliche as it sounds, you really just need to find your 'crowd' as it were. No easy task, took me a good number of years before I finally did.
What do you mean? You gave me a picture of a penguin telling me I was special.

And about the crowd thing, I don't see what that has to do with it, but I'm fairly sure that's never going to happen.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #103745 on: April 01, 2016, 10:09:22 pm »

Unique? Absolutely. Special? Depends on who you ask. To your friends and family, you're almost certainly special to them. Some guy in Kajiurastan? Probably not.

Also, yeah, finding the right friends is important. People normally aren't so unique that they can't find a group they have something in common with.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #103746 on: April 01, 2016, 10:12:46 pm »

The people that are so unique they can't find a group they have something in common with are some of the most interesting people, however.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103747 on: April 01, 2016, 10:24:59 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 06:18:23 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #103748 on: April 01, 2016, 10:31:41 pm »

Cinder, you're one of the most helpful people in the Sad thread.

Seriously, stop doubting yourself.

Also, *hugs*.
I just don't feel like anyone respect my attempt to help them. They just see me as a naïve optimist who is lying to them about the world to make them feel better. They just think that everything I say is wrong because I'm just a dumb kid who hasn't gone throug as much as they did.
If not for the fact that you and Tiruin have your ages on your profiles I would be thinking that Tiruin would be the younger one, because they come off as amazingly optimistic, whereas you seem more jaded. And to be honest, anyone who dismisses good advice because of the quality of the person offering it probably needs to stop turning away good help out of feeling hopeless. I respect that you're trying to help other people, and I thank you for that. Maybe some people don't vocally thank you, but that doesn't mean that they're ungrateful for what you've done. Just keep helping people and dismiss this line of thought.
It's not people being grateful or not which discourage me, because people are nice. It's just that most of the time I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall and my opinions are being discounted. I mean, why bother asking for advice if you're going to tell the person who only want to help you that their advice don't apply?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103749 on: April 01, 2016, 10:44:04 pm »

I got compared to Sideshow Bob, once. I reckon I could pull of Sideshow Bob hair with the right haircut.
Most of my comparisons are based on hair... it kinda is my only notable feature. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #103750 on: April 01, 2016, 10:48:00 pm »

Also, *hugs*.
I just don't feel like anyone respect my attempt to help them. They just see me as a naïve optimist who is lying to them about the world to make them feel better. They just think that everything I say is wrong because I'm just a dumb kid who hasn't gone throug as much as they did.
...I seriously don't know how to prove you wrong...  And that's making me sad.
It's not right to fully believe feelings at times like these; feelings are given meaning by the thoughts that follow them, and our interactions follow the meaning we give them. That manner of drawing conclusions when they may not really match what people are actually thinking is what makes it "wrong"; I'd rather say misleading instead, because that isn't a complete overview, unless that is fully how you considered it when you posted. How much of that actually mirrors reality, and how much of that actually mirrors one's own self-doubts or things they've otherwise overly critically heard is something to balance by asking yourself questions if that's really what you want to say, or by bouncing the ideas off other people you trust for feedback.

There's a huge jump when feels like becomes "this really is what's happening". All those sentences afterwards come from that 'feel like' bit there, instead of actually describing what's really going on. Get actual feedback from others, Cin :-\ I've known since your start on B12 that you want to do good things (it was pretty solid and evident in between your text even if you didn't convey it that well :P ) but these bits here...
Please beware of when you're speaking from others' viewpoints, and when you speak by predicting others' viewpoints. Presuming your situation with generalities won't get you any closer to a wholesome conclusion other than give you an idea you're going to work with. It seems like there's a lot being unsaid. Critically-minded or otherwise. Do personal research on this and inquire with whom you can physically speak to, for insight and improvement.

You don't have to apologize! Hahahahaha. I'm not offended.

They always said that I look like Hermione, but I identified more with Snape.
And now I'm sad again because I don't know who any of these people are which reminds me of being sheltered.
Erh, 'sheltered' seems a bit off...like a definitive. It's a new experience. I myself haven't played Pokemon or most of what many people talk about .-. but it's always something to read or watch or play one day.

I mean, if you haven't noticed, most people's response to Tiruin are them telling her how wrong she is. I don't know how she deals with it.
And this is where I'm reminded that sometimes, you miss context. :P
I don't see others' responses to me like that, because they aren't like that as a whole. Chaotic skies' post, as an example, just tells me more info and how come my advice didn't fully apply by giving more detail--it's like a deconstruction of one person's concern into details for others to get, to discuss, and possibly to come up with a good solution.

And yep--sometimes I'm totally wrong. :D That goes into my worldview and what I know of the world; sometimes what I say and what I advise gets a response that goes along the theme of 'You're wrong', and it's okay because the other person mostly always responds with added details on why {my} advice doesn't stick. It's normal--we aren't mindreaders, so we exchange information with each other.

...I also deal with these things by PMing others. :P But main point here (because I'm still tired on a Saturday because EXAAAAAMFUNTIME) is that I don't stick with superlatives of perception o_o It's something learned, and it's better to not stop at erroneous conclusions if you think it really won't be something that'll work out. Personally, I branch out and observe the post as it is, rather than taking it as 'You're wrong'...because for me, that comes off as a superficial idea to follow up on :O

That's where my main point leads: These are processed or given meaning in how we think of them. It may not be a solution in itself, but it's a reliable foundation that we all begin with in facing everything we sense and feel.
Beware of how your own thinking can influence how you process what you see.
In the spirit of guidance, you can give as much as you have--that doesn't mean you're incapable of giving as much as the ones you see around you who you pretty much look up to, because that saying is primarily to what is tangible. The mind works with abstraction and thought, and these are not covered by 'as much as you have' because they can grow with experience, exposure, new concepts, and knowledge. And I guess that's how I improved now that I look back at it: I do a lot of study and talk with many people. I'll pretty much be wrong in the future if my thoughts are too rigid to accommodate new experiences, but I do hope that I won't be that stiff to exclude understanding other people no matter what generation or year I'm going to be in.

Don't stop at the thought that says 'You're Wrong', Cin. You're trying, that's what matters. You don't make your words into final conclusions, and you leave space for consideration.
But put into mind that when people are given advice when faced with a problem that is said to help them--they give thought to it. Silent thought. Then they give a response based on how they thought about it. Many ideas in history may not have been given a response that the speaker may have wanted to hear, but many of those ideas were given thorough thought that follows progress of meaning that the speaker had in mind.

Spoiler: Sads (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 11:00:39 pm by Tiruin »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #103751 on: April 01, 2016, 10:52:54 pm »

I've been compared to Steve Buscemi. More in college when the facial foliage was thinner.
I tended to have that strung-out look when I was younger. The druggie clique in high school were cool with me, because they assumed I was on drugs. I'm like, "No, I'm just naturally like this."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #103752 on: April 01, 2016, 10:53:24 pm »

Also, *hugs*.
If not for the fact that you and Tiruin have your ages on your profiles I would be thinking that Tiruin would be the younger one, because they come off as amazingly optimistic, whereas you seem more jaded. And to be honest, anyone who dismisses good advice because of the quality of the person offering it probably needs to stop turning away good help out of feeling hopeless. I respect that you're trying to help other people, and I thank you for that. Maybe some people don't vocally thank you, but that doesn't mean that they're ungrateful for what you've done. Just keep helping people and dismiss this line of thought.
It's not people being grateful or not which discourage me, because people are nice. It's just that most of the time I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall and my opinions are being discounted. I mean, why bother asking for advice if you're going to tell the person who only want to help you that their advice don't apply?

I haven't seen anyone straight up say "What you just said is invalid and doesn't apply," although some people might have been rather rude at somepoint, possibly me myself. Either way, you're trying, and that's more than a lot of people can say, right? That makes you important. Because you're one of the people that are actively trying to help, as opposed to just ignoring the problem. So what if someone doesn't want help? Move on, find someone else that does want help. Just because someone doesn't want help or doesn't need help, doesn't mean no one wants or needs help. There's always someone that you can help, that is worth the risk of hearing the same words over and over again. Even if you talk to a million people, and only a hundred actually enjoy your help, and enjoy being around you, that's 100 people you can help and be friends with.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103753 on: April 01, 2016, 11:06:10 pm »

I've been compared to Steve Buscemi. More in college when the facial foliage was thinner.
Steve Buscemi is a total babe.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #103754 on: April 01, 2016, 11:07:37 pm »

Steve Buscemi is a total babe.
Also been compared to Dave Grohl, but without the manly drummer arms. I am okay with this, because Dave Grohl is awesome.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 6915 6916 [6917] 6918 6919 ... 8167