Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6899 6900 [6901] 6902 6903 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9419844 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #103500 on: March 28, 2016, 01:44:33 am »

hormones. I'm exhausted and almost unbearably sad. absolutely every emotion I feel seems to be followed up with a wave of sadness.

It doesn't help that my mother's family spent the entire weekend treating me like shit, to the point where I've hit my limit and am now completely done with them. I'll probably keep going for Easter and Christmas and sending them cards once a year, but they are no longer welcome in my living space and I don't intend to continue writing letters to my "closest" cousin.

It was nonstop bragging, uncaring behavior, and awfulness. I used to feel like "well, I need to be close to them, I wonder what I could do better" but after this, after a few years of adjusting my behavior in order to get along... oh, I'm done. It was thing after thing. I couldn't list them all. Too much, I'm done.

Good.  I know it hurts to cut ties with family, but I'm a firm believer that we have no obligation to subject ourselves to toxis people just because they're family.  I hope that making this decision with finality helps you heal.  I've seen it help other people I know who have shitty families.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103501 on: March 28, 2016, 01:51:16 am »

I think I'm pretty "done with" most of my family, as well.
Makes me sad that I don't really have any relatives who I really get along with. :(
If you want to fix your sleep pattern, it's most likely gonna mean going to bed when you aren't tired...

Tried that. I've memorized my ceiling. And the books on the wall. And what the end of my bed feels like with my feet. And what it feels like to not be able to stop thinking. Definitely the last one.
Great, now you just need to do it for several nights in a row, staying in bed without distractions for the same amount of time each night.
You should see results before too long, if your experience is anything like mine.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #103502 on: March 28, 2016, 02:07:00 am »

I'm gonna take a shower and go think about things I should have done, and all that regretful stuff. Oh, and pretend to get more than an hour or two of sleep. Be back in a bit.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103503 on: March 28, 2016, 04:05:06 am »

Yeah, quietly tolerating that kind of shit from family or otherwise, when the only thing you're rewarded with is some crappy company, is literally volunteering for abuse. That's a seriously self-destructive or self-harming choice to be making.

That said... I'm starting to learn that this is one of the problems with assholes who are left unchallenged; they generally keep on being assholes until they get called on it, or otherwise realize it. Often, I think people just don't know any better until someone speaks up in a way they understand; deep down people just want acceptance, which often means fitting in with the group or doing whatever they think is appropriate for the situation or crowd. If the group have built douchy habits, all anyone can do is work to challenge and dismantle the habits directly until it shifts the tone of the group. One doesn't have to stay at all; we can pick our associations, and can figure out the costs and benefits for ourselves. Still, for me I feel a sense of duty to try to make a bad situation better if I think I can.

I have unpleasant relations with my unpleasant relations too, but there's other options than caching in and leaving the table. I generally interact with them in a pretty shallow way when we get together, but I'll speak out when it's important to me, when people are being particularly bigoted or ignorant, or when someone's behavior falls below a minimum-decency threshold toward me, toward the group, or toward people I care about. I didn't always speak up- used to volunteer for that kind of abuse myself- but speaking out and standing up against a group when it's important (and when the group, it turns out, is mostly just bullshitting assent and groupthink as a way of bonding and filling the silence), that seems to have started to make things better. Not much better, but at least when I'm around they know how I feel, leave me more room to be me in the conversation, and we understand one another better and actually grow closer. Despite everything, my family will be there for one another however we can be when the bad times hit, and that's enough reason for me to maintain at least that basic bond.

snip
How would you define 'like' in this context, though?

Hmm. I don't think that Friendship or "Liking" someone is a different thing than Love. Rather, I think "Like" is a word for Anxious Love, or what happens to Love when paired with or overpowered by Fear. We "Like" art or people or things that we care about and would like to celebrate, and which we don't presently trust for whatever reason. That could be from fear of rejection or disappointment, uncertainty about the nature of the loved thing, bad past experiences with similar media/things/folks, or any other reason one might feel that sort of anxiety.

It's just another half-baked attempt to simplify a category of emotions, but hopefully it makes some kind of sense?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 04:59:22 am by Solifuge »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #103504 on: March 28, 2016, 05:07:07 am »

Hmm. I don't think that Friendship or "Liking" someone is a different thing than Love. Rather, I think "Like" is a word for Anxious Love, or what happens to Love when paired with or overpowered by Fear.
So everyone's romantically attracted to all their friends, they're just anxious about it and won't admit it. Gotcha.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103505 on: March 28, 2016, 05:16:12 am »

Don't gotta want to sex folks to Love them, yo. I love my family, friends, strangers, animals, and even you guys.

EDIT: Juuuust for clarification, I don't want to sex the things on that list.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 05:18:38 am by Solifuge »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103506 on: March 28, 2016, 05:16:40 am »

I just watched a little of a documentary called "Hot Coffee" which has made me rethink something I thought I knew about.

Y'all have heard of that woman who spilled McDonald's coffee on herself, then sued and got $2 million in damages? And that it was a bullshit lawsuit? Well, I'm rethinking that now after watching the start of this doco.

Well, the full actual story is that McDonalds was selling coffee hot enough to give you third-degree skin burns (180-190o fahrenheit) if the stuff contacted your skin for over 2-3 seconds, and this woman was severely burned (the burns look pretty horrendous) and needed tens of thousands of dollars in skin grafts to repair the damage, and years of surgery. And it turned out the jury was shown evidence that this had already happened to over 700 McDonald's customers before her - and those were just the ones we know about who had lodged formal complaints.

Then the McDonald's lawyers in court more or less said "if a few people burn themselves because our product is dangerous who cares? We don't! Not our problem!" So, the jury thought "these guys just aren't taking shit seriously, they're giving out dangerous products them saying 'screw you' to numerous people who get hurt, they need a wake-up call or they'll never change their policy". Hence, they charged them the equivalent of 2 days worth of their coffee profits - which amounted to $2 million. Which makes complete sense, if it's a widespread problem that is their fault but they don't care about, they need to be made to give a shit. Mere thousands of dollars in penalties isn't going to work.

EDIT: And it turns out the entire reason the coffee was so hot, was that a super-hot pot of coffee lasts for longer. They were literally selling an unnecessarily dangerous product in order to save a few cents here and there on coffee beans.

EDIT: And it links into the Astro-turf thing I mentioned the other day. After this, PR firms set up fake corporate front groups, such as "Citizens Against Lawsuit Abuse" to try and derail compensation claims for injury, by claiming it was a grass-roots issue.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 05:53:32 am by Reelya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103507 on: March 28, 2016, 05:21:32 am »

Don't gotta want to sex folks to Love them, yo. I love my family, friends, strangers, animals, and even you guys.

EDIT: Juuuust for clarification, I don't want to sex the things on that list.
You don't want to sex strangers?! What do you even do on the weekends? :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103508 on: March 28, 2016, 05:23:24 am »

Not have any more regrettable one-night-stands, for starters! :D

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #103509 on: March 28, 2016, 05:34:04 am »

Y'all have heard of that woman who spilled McDonald's coffee on herself, then sued and got $2 million in damages? And that it was a bullshit lawsuit? Well, I'm rethinking that now after watching the start of this doco.
Oh yeah, I remember that. Was an excellent example of people looking at the headline and drawing conclusions rather than examining the details.

want to sex ... you guys
I dunno, in my mind the two are very separate things. Similar, sure, but not the same.

Isn't it easier to just download a bunch of hentai? Avoids the whole interaction with strangers thing.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #103510 on: March 28, 2016, 06:36:20 am »

My second amateur boxing match which I've been looking forward to all week ain't gonna happen, opponent can't make it, something like that.  Actually really disappointed.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103511 on: March 28, 2016, 06:42:25 am »

Isn't it easier to just download a bunch of hentai? Avoids the whole interaction with strangers thing.

The real thing is much better than a Chu B-Something or Other.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #103512 on: March 28, 2016, 07:43:48 am »

Yeah, I finally added my father to my FB friends a couple of weeks ago (we have a very distant, strained relationship) and within a week it was like "oh god, why did I do this?"

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103513 on: March 28, 2016, 07:56:37 am »

My second amateur boxing match which I've been looking forward to all week ain't gonna happen, opponent can't make it, something like that.  Actually really disappointed.
...need a fill in opponent?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103514 on: March 28, 2016, 08:53:36 am »

Wanted to post in Ameripol thread. Is locked. And not by Toady!
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 6899 6900 [6901] 6902 6903 ... 8167