Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6895 6896 [6897] 6898 6899 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9419655 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #103440 on: March 27, 2016, 01:18:44 am »

Tiruin and Cinder do such an amazing job helping people and cheering people up, so why should I continue if I can't help and won't match up to them?
"Someone else does it so much better" is no excuse to stop doing good. On the contrary, it ought to be motivation to step up one's own game, practise and become just as good or even better than others.

Here's the trick to it: I pretend I'm Tiruin. Emulation is like imitation, except better.
The other method is to help people in your completely own way. I don't pretend I'm Tiruin or Cinder. I pretend I'm IcyTea31. By helping people in slightly different ways, I might succeed where others fail, making the net amount of help the person got from all helpful people that much better. I, for example, am pretty cynical, pessimistic and overall not very good at cheering people up, but I can come up with practical solutions to problems; someone else has to do that so the person would have energy to follow my advice.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #103441 on: March 27, 2016, 01:36:01 am »

Tiruin and Cinder do such an amazing job helping people and cheering people up, so why should I continue if I can't help and won't match up to them?
:)
You're younger than me. Have a lesson I didn't know when I was your age--and something I only learned in the recent years.
We are continuums of progress. It's like a building; we have a foundation of thoughts, so we work on them and depending on these ideas, our future is affected and influenced by those that we see as significant [esp. our worldly outlook]. Sometimes we're cheered up but then fall back down--it's ok to acknowledge that, but it's not ok to make that a belief, especially if it's a cyclically negative one. (ie "Cheering me up doesn't matter because {future pessimism}.")

Back in the day, I was only stuck with a vague idea other than hope. I never knew that I'd be able to even talk to people (due to crushing social anxiety and having been bullied for ~8 years consecutively), but I didn't make doubts my reasoning. I had a TON of doubts (bloody doubts and intrusive thoughts 12-yr old or teenagers shouldn't really be exposed to because of how demeaning and negative they were), and asked the same questions you have up there. I wasn't good at cheering up anyone, I couldn't even talk to my own family about my issues in depth.

So why be me? You're you. I was going to send a PM to Cinder about being Cinder instead of a Tiruin (though I do get that Cin's referring to the attitude :v but it's the wording!). People are people--developmental constructs of a being, far greater than what is still concretely known (hence why many humanistic and social sciences aren't known as dead sciences, along with anatomy and the other things we can see are concrete).

You're you, and you're the best You, you can ever be. If you try to emulate me, you're possibly limited by how much you can see in me--instead of associating that with 'being me' (which is a common obstacle I personally see in how people see who they look up to), notice that you're looking at one's behavior, attitude, or manifestation of thinking by their actions. You're on a path of life that I'll never travel. Maybe parallel, maybe intersecting--but we all have paths we travel alone. We're all traveling along these paths, alongside everyone else.  I still have no idea how I cheer up people--maybe it's the change of perspective I may possibly offer (but my wording is mostly messy everytime I'm worked or tired so I'm very grateful when I'm thanked, even if it's a simple acknowledgement, and the same goes for all those I do thank here). Why do you need to judge yourself ordinally when there's so much more outside or to the side of one's consciousness that can be placed into thinking?

I remember one thing you said that's very important as a personal note.
Some people just don't change. Everything goes back to what it was before with them. I know people like that. And I don't know if I'm one of those people, even though I try not to be. You make points I've seen many times before, so I'll try again.

I don't think there's much more to say that's necessary to say. Night.
This is a belief, let it stay as a guide or idea instead of a conclusion. Many times we make our own conclusions of the world that shape our outlook--sometimes these become very rigid. People do actually change, even if it's merely subtle, because in every moment of our lives we think. In my not-very-good-memory-at-all, there's progressive thought, and then there's reflexive thought; the former moves from what is currently known to apply what is known in many settings, while the latter applies and processes what is known into reacting to what is being seen in nearly-the-same or similar ways. It's too...superficial to let stand that "people don't change" as a generalization. Deconstruct those ideas before they're OK enough to act as personal conclusions.

Point being: Doubting yourself because you can't 'measure up' to what you observe isn't a good mindset to develop or even base your reasoning on. What is best is to use what inspires others beneficially as something to help you--I've learned what I've learned from good folks around me, but there are tons of things that I may miss because of how dynamic and vast one's life experiences can be. There is no concrete limitation because this all starts at a personal level, subjectively different that there is also no one 'good' basis of seeing a teacher or mentor because of how different and how many styles and methods a good teaching can be seen as.

Like a personal example here--I see Vector as someone great, even if they've a different manner of consoling, speaking, and addressing others. In-between the literal words, I don't see the need for comparison because of a sense of respect of who they are, and the capability to address who they are in terms of how they interact. Many people here are good teachers to me, even if we only quietly know each other via their posts in many different threads. A good teacher is subjectively different--though there are objective standards which they work by--because of how vast one's personal learning patterns are.

Personally, I believe the same could be said for you, BlackHeartKabal. You don't need to compare yourself as if a comparison makes all you are. Maybe it's a thing that's being used a lot there--I'm uncertain, but in the current time, you've [this] amount of knowledge and certain ways you use to process that knowledge: Let it grow. You may not be able to help inasmuch as you would like and want to, in the current time; instead of comparing yourself and giving into/believing doubts, make it a goal instead. Optimism and pessimism both have their dangers in the extreme ends, but there's a balance of both that helps.

I'd just not want to be personally seen as a figurehead or idol or anything. Everyone is important just as much as the highest pinnacle they see in others.

There is so much more in the world, than what we can see. Remember that.

PPE*3: Oh dear .__. I'm ninja'd 3x. Hai Vec!

Related sad: I wish I had people like these here years ago. Would've saved a lot of misery, but it's more that I noticed I was also holding myself back (no thx high personal restraint and willpower that way :v) because I was stuck with a partly rigid form of how people interact. Their stance towards me, their tone and loudness of voice, and the literalness of the words they used.
* Tiruin punches her social anxiety.
Wish I could express myself better at times, and I still have those doubts.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 02:59:11 am by Tiruin »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103442 on: March 27, 2016, 01:42:24 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 06:44:12 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103443 on: March 27, 2016, 01:58:50 am »

So I use mobile phone and auddenly screen goes black, and phone stops responding at all ;-;7

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103444 on: March 27, 2016, 03:09:19 am »

The Legend of Zelda: Rip Link's Heart Out and Shatter It [Like You Did to The Mirror of Twilight]
why midna :-:
Black lives matter.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #103445 on: March 27, 2016, 03:15:14 am »

This house has a mouse problem. They have not been stupid enough to get into the traps we set.
I cornered one in the bathroom when I tried to use the toilet. It ran around the walls/door a couple times before finally crawling into a hole in the plaster. I could hear it scurry around the walls, no doubt back into the ceiling. Fucker dodged every attempt to stomp on it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #103446 on: March 27, 2016, 03:32:04 am »

I've been in a really shitty place lately and have been lacking the motivation to change anything for the better because I feel shitty.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #103447 on: March 27, 2016, 06:06:49 am »

Runny nose is the worst, it makes you feel like you're drowning and wrecks havok on your concentration.

Also, global warming is happening and we're all going to die :(

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #103448 on: March 27, 2016, 07:16:19 am »

My mom is depressed and I cannot help her. There is literally nothing I can say that hasn't been said, many times over, for as long as I've known that she suffered from depression. She doesn't want professional help, she doesn't want to acclimatize to the present. I cannot explain to her "You will never go back to 70's California" in a way that she will accept. How do you help somebody that's bitter, unfulfilled and angry at life?

She doesn't want help. She wants to win the lottery and buy a self-sufficient ranch away from society, and the Fountain of Youth and a pretty pink pony while she's at it. I can never satisfy this romanticized vision she has of being a bumblefuck Amish recluse, and she never lets me forget it either.

Why don't I just save up and move out? It's not a matter of "saving up so I can move out", it's a matter of "kick and scratch just to have some pocket change left over". Got some overtime? Guess what, the car took a shit and we need a new one. Still somehow have your FAFSA leftovers? Good, your sister's worthless boyfriend lost his job again, your niece and nephew are starving so we're buying groceries for two households this month. Manage to hock your $200 textbook for less than a fifth of what you paid? It's time to change the oil again. It's one fucking thing after another after another, and when it seems like everything's fine then some new cataclysm happens and we're back to square one.

This is bullshit and I can't see any way out of it.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #103449 on: March 27, 2016, 07:18:17 am »

Went for a jog (that turned into a walk after about a minute, holy shit I'm unfit) and now I have sore legs. I also have dishes to clean before bed. It's 1:20 am.
What am I even doing at this point
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #103450 on: March 27, 2016, 10:26:36 am »

Went for a jog (that turned into a walk after about a minute, holy shit I'm unfit) and now I have sore legs. I also have dishes to clean before bed. It's 1:20 am.

Totes need to give up the exercise.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #103451 on: March 27, 2016, 11:00:17 am »

Totes need to give up the exercise.
Don't ever skip leg day. It's the most important day of the week.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103452 on: March 27, 2016, 12:27:36 pm »

I just got the phone call, saying my Uncle has passed away. Just goddamnit.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103453 on: March 27, 2016, 12:28:55 pm »

I just got the phone call, saying my Uncle has passed away. Just goddamnit.
*offers shoulder for crying on*

If it'd help, please feel free to drop me a PM or something.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #103454 on: March 27, 2016, 01:43:53 pm »

Got into another fight with my wife.
Pages: 1 ... 6895 6896 [6897] 6898 6899 ... 8167