Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6887 6888 [6889] 6890 6891 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9422995 times)

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #103320 on: March 24, 2016, 10:06:48 pm »

Reply to thread title

Spoiler: long rant-like thing. (click to show/hide)
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103321 on: March 24, 2016, 10:22:23 pm »

*hugs chaotic skies (platonically)*

If you want to vent things at me you can do that.

Also, maybe you should practice talking to a mirror or a photo or something.  I don't really know how to deal with social anxiety that's that bad.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #103322 on: March 24, 2016, 10:26:41 pm »

I don't really know how to deal with social anxiety that's that bad.
Usually it's having a friend, etc. who you trust enough to drag you (physically if need be) out of it.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #103323 on: March 24, 2016, 10:38:43 pm »

I don't really know how to deal with social anxiety that's that bad.
Usually it's having a friend, etc. who you trust enough to drag you (physically if need be) out of it.

Can confirm: doesn't work.

Or perhaps I was so much of a stubborn bastard.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #103324 on: March 24, 2016, 10:52:48 pm »

Most of the time I'm too nervous/stubborn to ask for help, even if it's just someone standing nearby to hear what's going on.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103325 on: March 24, 2016, 11:12:17 pm »

-snip-

I'm sorry this is something you're dealing with. There's a lot of ideas tangled together here, which makes it hard to respond comprehensively. I can say, as a general thing, that therapy really helps; if you can already identify that you have a bias against therapists, you already know better than to mistrust them by rote, and that they could potentially help you if you sought one out. In the same way, it sounds like you've identified many other potential problems or choices you make that are making you unhappy; things like refusing to ask for help even when you need it, or dissociating from your emotions, all of which it sounds like you recognize as non-ideal?

Given that you've already made that step in the right direction, the next step is probably picking some low-hanging fruit from that list, whatever you think you can manage, and brainstorming up a plan of some sort to change things for the better. I've personally found writing up lists of things I want to change really helpful as a starting place, and focusing on actions that I can take to try to change things for the better. I'm not always ready to do that (sometimes, we just need comforting, some time to recover, or whatever else before we can jump into things), but ultimately you're the only one who can change this for yourself. Give yourself room to fail (that's what happens sometimes, when we encounter challenges) but please do consider ways that you might change this for the better.

You can do it, but I wish you good luck anyway.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 11:14:31 pm by Solifuge »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #103326 on: March 25, 2016, 12:00:04 am »

in lighter news, installing most of the dependencies for build-essential and python3-pip by hand because your package manager is broken (because ftp traffic seems to be getting kicked in the head upstream somewhere) is kind of a pain in the ass

fuck computers, that is all
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103327 on: March 25, 2016, 12:19:41 am »

I just turned 21 and I dont have degree, any useful or interesting skills, meaningful job, and also I am stupid.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103328 on: March 25, 2016, 12:20:27 am »

I just turned 21 and I dont have degree, any useful or interesting skills, meaningful job, and also I am stupid.

I'm 29 and have those things too!
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #103329 on: March 25, 2016, 12:22:21 am »

I'm 29 and have those things too!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #103330 on: March 25, 2016, 12:26:31 am »

I failed highschool twice and then dropped out of university. Now I'm unemployed. Beat that, shitlords.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103331 on: March 25, 2016, 12:31:10 am »

I failed highschool twice and then dropped out of university. Now I'm unemployed. Beat that, shitlords.

I dropped out of uni because my girlfriend dumped me (though I later married her...) and waited 3 years to ask for the qualification I attained.

I've been unemployed for 2 years and it has taken me more than a year to learn to drive!

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103332 on: March 25, 2016, 01:44:41 am »

I dropped out of highschool, got a GED, joined the Army, destroyed both of my knees, hips and lower back in a stupid training accident, spent eighteen months restoring function to my body, and have been unable to hold a job for fifteen years, now I'm a stay at home dad with two little boys, one of whom is slightly autistic.

(Note, this is all true, and my actual RL situation right now, and doesn't even cover the really stupid shit I did before dropping out of highschool.)
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #103333 on: March 25, 2016, 01:48:54 am »

stay at home dad
Wait, isn't that a success?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103334 on: March 25, 2016, 01:53:46 am »

Only if you aren't an adrenaline junky streetfighter who feels the strong desire to cave in peoples skulls every hour of every day.  I'm not what you'd really call 'mentally stable' most of the time, and being near my own children fills me with conflicting emotions compounded by a massive dose of self-hatred, and I continually stress the hell out of myself because I have very limited control over my violent impulses, and I would probably have to walk to a really bad section of town and force them to kill me if I hurt one of my boys.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.
Pages: 1 ... 6887 6888 [6889] 6890 6891 ... 8167