Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6881 6882 [6883] 6884 6885 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9419741 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #103230 on: March 21, 2016, 10:11:11 pm »

Basically, remember my gf from a while back? It only took me until this morning to realize that I basically cheated on her with her cousin, and that's only because someone else spelled it out for me. So now I want to apologize, but I'm to damn afraid that I'm going to mess everything up even more, which is pretty much impossible, since we don't even acknowledge each other's existence.
Man, I've been there - more than once. What's always helped me through: Only an idiot would kill himself over a woman.

Proper advice I can give: Just... do it. You won't find peace if you don't. You won't feel like you find the right words, you probably won't ever find the right words even if you try, but that just means the wrong words will have to do. Get drunk if you need to - it certainly helped me in a similar situation. Maybe set yourself a deadline. Just kick the piece of shit that is current!you in the ass, grow a spine, and do what you have to.

Eh, that's easy to say when you're not suicidal. When you are, it tends to become much harder.
To be fair, the biggest thing that stopped me from going through with it was a fanatical obsession with sanctity of life.
Really? For me it was cowardice, plain and simple. I was too scared.

Forcing yourself to go on because life is sacred means forcing others to go on for that reason too - and I'm just not prepared to make people suffer like that. Ultimately I have to acknowledge that there are indeed good reasons to kill yourself. They're just rather rare.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #103231 on: March 21, 2016, 10:15:32 pm »

The thing with deadlines is I'm great at procrastinating, and if there isn't some huge, obvious repurcusion for not meeting it, I'm probably going to pretend it doesn't exist. I'll have to fix that, too.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103232 on: March 21, 2016, 10:19:01 pm »

Same for me, really. I told myself: If you're not gonna do it by [date] (Sylvester in this case), you're never gonna do it. That was terrifying enough to get me to keep the deadline.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #103233 on: March 21, 2016, 10:24:58 pm »

I'm terrible at deadlines. Even terrible repercussions usually just result in me rolling over and going, "meh".

Forcing yourself to go on because life is sacred means forcing others to go on for that reason too - and I'm just not prepared to make people suffer like that. Ultimately I have to acknowledge that there are indeed good reasons to kill yourself. They're just rather rare.
Fair enough. IMO though, killing is never justifiable. The last resort of last resorts. Being alive is always better than being dead.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #103234 on: March 21, 2016, 10:50:16 pm »

Being alive is always better than being dead.

Depends what's going on really. If you're hurting every second of every day, death looks really appealing.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #103235 on: March 21, 2016, 11:41:28 pm »

Both me and my dad had been repairing some extremely old furniture and we found a hidden compartment under some rather heavy pieces of wood.
Inside that cavity there was a huge 1870s gasser revolver along with a folded Austrian-Hungarian flag.
It belonged to my dad maternal grandfather who had served in ww1.
Man we both suddenly felt a strange type of sadness.
And it's impossible to find ammo for it.
Guess we will keep it hidden,cleaned and oiled on a hidden safe we have.don't want some uncultured assholen stealing it or some uncultured ignorant government asshole destroying such relic.
It's like gutting and destroying a piece of art.

A very lucky find! It's nice to know you own a piece of family history that links you to the past.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103236 on: March 22, 2016, 12:50:51 am »

Yeah, that's a really nice find. It's also good to hear that you're restoring antique furniture! :)
Imagine what would have happened if you'd, say, sold that piece without investigating it so thoroughly...

My current Sad: I'm sitting at a table, drinking beer. First beer I've had since Saturday, actually.
Anyway, somehow a single strand of my hair became entangled with the top of the can as I was taking a swig, and I put it down without noticing. A little while later I moved in my seat (I believe I was reaching down to pat/pet/stroke the cat who was next to my chair) and the can was pulled over, spilling... probably a third of what was left (it was pretty much half empty).

Not much spilled before I was quickly able to right it, but it still makes me sad. Also the cat might smell of beer now. >.>
At least she didn't get overly scared by the ordeal.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #103237 on: March 22, 2016, 06:39:45 am »

Herpes is not a retrovirus

Source?

This is, sadly, a very missed opportunity to say "trust me, I'm a doctor".
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 06:51:10 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #103238 on: March 22, 2016, 06:42:05 am »

Brussels airport bombing.  Fucking terrible.  Comments regarding said bombing naturally lead to "why haven't people cared about bombings and terror attacks in THESE countries etc etc".

Sigh.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #103239 on: March 22, 2016, 06:42:23 am »

And it's impossible to find ammo for it.
While you might not find any in stores, many old calibres are still manufactured in small amounts and sold on the Internet. It's not cheap to get ammo for antique weapons, but not impossible either. Of course, actually firing the gun will cause wear on it and lower its value.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 06:44:34 am by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #103240 on: March 22, 2016, 08:57:34 am »

Brussels airport bombing.  Fucking terrible.  Comments regarding said bombing naturally lead to "why haven't people cared about bombings and terror attacks in THESE countries etc etc".

Sigh.

I get where you're coming from, but it's difficult to sympathise. A week ago, gunmen killed 18 people in the Ivory Coast. Boko Haram has a higher kill count than ISIS. But I never, ever, see anyone talking about it. You get bitter, y'know? It's been a long time since I've scrolled through my news feed without at least one terrorist attack or other incident with two digit casualties coming up, but people really just don't give a dam.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103241 on: March 22, 2016, 10:19:36 am »

It's basic human psychology. Maaaaybe also a little racism, too, but the racism is not "I don't care about Africans," and more "Well of course AFRICA has bombings!" (Same reason the West thinks Africa is still an undeveloped shithole.)

The West expects Africa and the Middle East to be bombed on a daily basis, so when a bombing happens, they go "Oh. Alright." While a bombing in Europe is rare, so when it happens, they go "Holy shit, something new!"

It's the change in the environment from "not being bombed -> bombed," not necessarily the bombing in and of itself that we notice.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #103242 on: March 22, 2016, 11:17:03 am »

Former Toronto mayor Rob Ford has died.

Unknown if he died in a drunken stupor, or possibly while doing a line of coke off a stripper's ass. One can only hope.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #103243 on: March 22, 2016, 11:18:47 am »

cancer actually. Had been ill for years, it seems.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103244 on: March 22, 2016, 11:21:39 am »

It's the change in the environment from "not being bombed -> bombed," not necessarily the bombing in and of itself that we notice.
Yeah - during the Blitz, 'Explosion in London' wasn't exactly front-page material either.
The Bay12 postcard club
Pages: 1 ... 6881 6882 [6883] 6884 6885 ... 8167