Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6880 6881 [6882] 6883 6884 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9421368 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #103215 on: March 21, 2016, 08:19:17 pm »

As for the social side, the Chicken Pox virus causes a form of Herpes too (H. Zoster), and are similarly never "gone" once you've been infected. I'm guessing the reason there's no stigma there too is because we don't associate Chicken Pox with sex and intimacy. Hell, some parents (like mine 9_9) intentionally infected their kids with Chicken Pox at Pox Parties, due to mistakenly thinking they were protecting them from getting Shingles later in life.

It wasn't mistakenly preventing shingles that was the reason for Pox Parties before the vaccine was developed. It was because if you don't get chicken pox as a child and are exposed as an adult, it can kill you.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103216 on: March 21, 2016, 08:22:29 pm »

I watched a video involving one of those overly sensitive people. The kind that want to set up 'safe spaces' because any opposing opinion is oppression.

I feel confused, upset and infuriated.
Sounds like you need a safe space away from that kind of person.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #103217 on: March 21, 2016, 08:24:04 pm »

Surely a jail cell is a safe place in which to exercise one's opinions?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #103218 on: March 21, 2016, 08:24:51 pm »

Herpes is not a retrovirus
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #103219 on: March 21, 2016, 08:26:32 pm »

Surely a jail cell is a safe place in which to exercise one's opinions?
check your privilege

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103220 on: March 21, 2016, 08:36:29 pm »

As for the social side, the Chicken Pox virus causes a form of Herpes too (H. Zoster), and are similarly never "gone" once you've been infected. I'm guessing the reason there's no stigma there too is because we don't associate Chicken Pox with sex and intimacy. Hell, some parents (like mine 9_9) intentionally infected their kids with Chicken Pox at Pox Parties, due to mistakenly thinking they were protecting them from getting Shingles later in life.

It wasn't mistakenly preventing shingles that was the reason for Pox Parties before the vaccine was developed. It was because if you don't get chicken pox as a child and are exposed as an adult, it can kill you.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that was the part that was mistaken. To my knowledge, it can potentially kill the elderly, or those with compromised immune systems, but it's no more severe in adults than in children. Googling briefly turned this up, for whatever you trust Time Magazine as a source:
Can chicken pox be more severe in adults?
Most people get chicken pox when they are young, but the symptoms can be more severe among people who catch the infection in an older age. They include loss of appetite, fever, headache, tiredness and rashes, all of which can be more taxing on the health of elderly adults.

Herpes is not a retrovirus

Source? Assuming you're referring to Herpes Simplex, I believe it is. "Herpes" is a blanket term for recurrent lesions caused by several different viruses, all of which (to my knowledge) are retroviruses rather than DNA viruses. This comes from a professor who was mistaken about the whole "blood is blue inside you" thing, though, so I'm going to check now too.

EDIT: Nope, you're right. Looks like it is a DNA virus. Thanks for the catch! That means they don't hide in your genes then. Looks like they stay dormant in nerve cells that don't get screened for infection, and come out to play when the immune system is weak.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 08:49:43 pm by Solifuge »

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #103221 on: March 21, 2016, 09:32:36 pm »

Reasons to not steal a car and go flying off the nearest bridge at a high rate of speed:
1. Effect on others
2. I have people I want to take with me
3. A never-ending sense of guilt over the fact that I messed up and it took me a month to realize it but I'm still too much of a coward to do anything about it
4. Stealing cars is illegal and I might not die at the bottom
5. More people go to a suicide funeral, and I don't want people standing near/on my grave

Besides 3 I think I can fix the rest. Still not sure why three is there, or what to do about it though.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #103222 on: March 21, 2016, 09:48:59 pm »

6. Your life is your most valuable possession. Do not throw it away.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103223 on: March 21, 2016, 09:49:46 pm »

:(

Please don't.

6. Your life is your most valuable possession. Do not throw it away.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103224 on: March 21, 2016, 09:50:14 pm »

Eh, that's easy to say when you're not suicidal. When you are, it tends to become much harder.

3. A never-ending sense of guilt over the fact that I messed up and it took me a month to realize it but I'm still too much of a coward to do anything about it
Messed up in what way, if you don't mind me asking?

(If you don't want to answer in public, do PM me - I love to hear about other people's problems ;) )
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #103225 on: March 21, 2016, 09:54:02 pm »

Eh, that's easy to say when you're not suicidal. When you are, it tends to become much harder.
To be fair, the biggest thing that stopped me from going through with it was a fanatical obsession with sanctity of life.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103226 on: March 21, 2016, 09:55:45 pm »

Argh I don't know what to say and I'm not even sure if I'm helping or hurting and I...

I don't want to fail at helping...

But I don't know what to do to help...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #103227 on: March 21, 2016, 09:59:58 pm »

Welcome to my life, fish. Welcome to my life. Isn't it fun?

Messed up in what way, if you don't mind me asking?

(If you don't want to answer in public, do PM me - I love to hear about other people's problems ;) )

I don't mind, honestly it's difficult to talk about outside of here anyway.

Basically, remember my gf from a while back? It only took me until this morning to realize that I basically cheated on her with her cousin, and that's only because someone else spelled it out for me. So now I want to apologize, but I'm to damn afraid that I'm going to mess everything up even more, which is pretty much impossible, since we don't even acknowledge each other's existence.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

xxseuzxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103228 on: March 21, 2016, 10:03:42 pm »

Both me and my dad had been repairing some extremely old furniture and we found a hidden compartment under some rather heavy pieces of wood.
Inside that cavity there was a huge 1870s gasser revolver along with a folded Austrian-Hungarian flag.
It belonged to my dad maternal grandfather who had served in ww1.
Man we both suddenly felt a strange type of sadness.
And it's impossible to find ammo for it.
Guess we will keep it hidden,cleaned and oiled on a hidden safe we have.don't want some uncultured assholen stealing it or some uncultured ignorant government asshole destroying such relic.
It's like gutting and destroying a piece of art.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103229 on: March 21, 2016, 10:04:42 pm »

@chaotic:...

*applies hugs*

I'm officially out of my depth.

Nevertheless, if you need anything I can help you with, let me know.
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 6880 6881 [6882] 6883 6884 ... 8167