Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6864 6865 [6866] 6867 6868 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9435424 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #102975 on: March 14, 2016, 07:53:21 pm »

I love all the sympathy on offer in the "Sad thread". ::)
Fuck you guys.
Hey, I was just poking fun at the possibility of folks shitting on your garments.

Seriously though: Why didn't you want them washed? A sort of morbid curiosity has gripped me...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #102976 on: March 14, 2016, 07:54:48 pm »

I've seen people come into this thread talking about how drinking is killing one of their family members and only get responses like "You're being too hard on alcohol." You can calm down about not getting enough sympathy for your damn dirty jeans.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 07:56:43 pm by penguinofhonor »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102977 on: March 14, 2016, 07:57:16 pm »

Eh, if people go 'Booze is evil and should be banned, because sample size of one', what is a drinker supposed to do? Just politely nod and smile?

I'm all for sympathy, but you can't let it get in the way of your own convictions. That goes the other way around, too, by the way: I'm positively disgusted at the thought of wearing a pair of pants for more than one week straight, but I still get that Yoink could be pretty upset about his being washed.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102978 on: March 14, 2016, 08:01:29 pm »

I love all the sympathy on offer in the "Sad thread". ::)
Fuck you guys.
Hey, I was just poking fun at the possibility of folks shitting on your garments.
Ah, I guess I missed the joke. I am quite distressed, after all.

I've seen people come into this thread talking about how booze is killing one of their family members and only get responses like "You're being too hard on alcohol." You can calm down about not getting enough sympathy for your damn dirty jeans.
If I'm thinking of the same incident as what you're referring to, said person also went on to claim that all bar-staff/owners/liquor store employees should be executed. I think that was the part people took objection to. Have I called for the dismantlement of all washing machines, the removal of laundry liquid from supermarket shelves and the death of 'white goods' salespersons?

No, I just objected to someone messing with one of my most treasured possessions.
This is like if I came home one day and found someone had dog-eared pages or creased the spine of one of my favourite books.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102979 on: March 14, 2016, 08:08:29 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 07:15:23 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #102980 on: March 14, 2016, 08:10:45 pm »

You can realize the context of the post is someone having a visceral in-the-moment reaction to news of a dying family member and wait for a better time to change their mind. At the very least, acknowledge their situation before going on about how wrong they are.

I brought up the other thing because I've seen plenty of people handle a lack of sympathy for some serious shit much more gracefully than this. I'm fine with you being upset about the jeans. I sympathized with you a bit on your first post; you invested a lot of time into them and nobody else's opinion on whether it's worthwhile can negate that. But I'm less fine with you expecting a certain reaction from the forum about this and lashing out when you're not getting it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102981 on: March 14, 2016, 08:23:19 pm »

I wouldn't have minded so much if people simply ignored my posts on the subject if they disagreed, that's perfectly reasonable, but attacking a distraught person trying to vent in the one place they have to do so seems rather unkind, not to mention against the spirit of the thread.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #102982 on: March 14, 2016, 08:29:56 pm »

... just... just in case you didn't notice, that was mostly just due to the subject. Not so much the distraught aspect, but the whole "extremely socially abnormal very unhygienic act" you were talking about. That sort of thing gets a pretty visceral and kneejerk reaction from folks that have been raised to maintain basic cleanliness, which is, uh. Most people.

Can sympathize with the whole don't-touch-my-stuff thing, but... yeah. You were going to get people going WTF to a ~year unwashed pair of jeans. That... should have been seen coming, y'know?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #102983 on: March 14, 2016, 08:39:37 pm »

To be fair, Yoink is only trying to vent. Maybe we shouldn't have jumped the gun on the whole criticising hygiene thing.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #102984 on: March 14, 2016, 09:31:10 pm »

Guys, this is how the rage thread died. I don't want sad threads to become verboten as well.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102985 on: March 14, 2016, 09:45:17 pm »

Update on my Uncle: I guess he's being moved from the hospital to his sister's house, so he can be surrounded by family in his last moments. I'm just just upset. I'd been trying to visit him in the hospital when I could, but I could never think of anything to say, he himself barely had the energy or mental coherency to speak himself, but I just couldn't contribute anything to his last moments here. I just couldn't think of anything, I'm so sorry Uncle, you've been with me since I was a baby and I just can't think of anything to make your last moments more pleasant besides just silently gawk at your withering self at your bedside and meekly say "I hope you recover" when you yourself already know you're past the point of no return. I've failed you, I'm sorry.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102986 on: March 14, 2016, 09:48:14 pm »

*hugs JoshuaFH*

I won't say it's going to be all right.

But it will be better.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102987 on: March 14, 2016, 10:37:06 pm »

documentation for a programming language.
To be fair, 99% of documentation is utter and complete shit by all programmers.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102988 on: March 14, 2016, 10:40:12 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 07:15:13 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102989 on: March 14, 2016, 10:43:11 pm »

To be fair, 99% of everything is shit. I just made a logical leap.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 6864 6865 [6866] 6867 6868 ... 8167