Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6857 6858 [6859] 6860 6861 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9442389 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #102870 on: March 11, 2016, 12:23:02 am »

I've done it for years. I've assured him would be there in every way possible and tried to be content with his solitary nature. But it seems he would rather post cryptic messages on social media than come to me for assurances he obviously needs based on what he's been saying to others.
Did you do it for this particular case? I'm guessing so.

I'm still going to say that you've done everything you can right now. The rest is on him. You did what you can, reaching out to him and everything, but he doesn't want to let you in. The best thing to do, from what I understand, is keep being there for him, and hopefully, he'll let you in. For all we know, it could just be his own insecurities telling him not to let you in, or that you'll judge him or leave him if he tells you.

Again; not your fault.

As far as I can tell, you've done nothing wrong, and worrying about him shows you truly care about him. Just know that you have to put yourself before him. It's a give and take in a relationship, and if you're hurting yourself to give him your all, then you should consider taking a moment to help yourself (in this case, get some rest) so you can be at your best for him. Get some sleep. What if he finally comes clean about what's going on tomorrow and you're too tired to listen? Then he might get upset or hurt.

At the best case, the postings on social media are cries for attention and nothing more. Worst case is he just doesn't share what's on his mind. I don't think you have much to worry about here, and you shouldn't feel guilty about it. Clearly, you're putting in the work, and that's good. I hope he appreciates you for caring so much
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #102871 on: March 11, 2016, 03:14:13 am »

So my grandma's just had some kind of cancer removed, but it's apparently spread. I had no idea. She's been resistant to the idea of leaving her home town, so we haven't seen her much.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102872 on: March 11, 2016, 10:29:32 am »

First thing I did when I got out of high school was go to university for an engineering program, but I bombed in second year. I went to college after that and started seeing a psychologist to work through the depression I seemed to be suffering. It was more than depression though. As discussed with my psychologist, when I don't understand material that I feel I should be able to understand on my own, I feel a mixture of fear of and shame for being/appearing/feeling incompetent. This fear and shame makes me quite reluctant to ask for help and really just makes me want to avoid work related to the subject matter. These feelings also come up when I feel that I've fallen behind on something.

Second year of my MechEng program at college, I discovered that I absolutely loved fluid dynamics and doing pipe calculations and wanted to do that for the rest of my life. Third year had nothing to do with fluid dynamics, so I had trouble staying motivated (and of course those old fears and came up again) and as a result failed a few courses. This year I went back to finish up what I'd started and though I haven't seen my psychologist since October (turns out the living on your own is expensive!), in the first term I did well enough in my courses and did not give in to my irrational fears again.

I had a week-long break 2 weeks ago, and somehow depression managed to work its greasy fingers into my brain again. On the first Monday I spent too long typing up a message to a girl on eHarmony, noticed I was late and said to myself "Eh, I'll just skip class today." I haven't been able to force myself to go to school ever since, until today at least. Today I'm going not to class, but to the student adviser for the engineering faculty to explain my situation and try to figure out what I'm going to have to do to come out with SOMETHING by the end of April. Engine Design I know I can salvage with just hard work, CAM I'm feeling a little iffy about, and Communications.....I think I was already fucked sixteen ways to Thunder Bay in that class before the break.

You see, the woman teaching that particular Communications class is the sort of person who inspires the (mostly incorrect) belief that people in STEM are vastly superior to everyone else. She patronized the class and treated us like children. While communication skills are quite important in almost every work environment, she gave me this distinct impression that communication skills were the only thing that she had going for her and that if she had to do anything on her own she would fail miserably. She starts the course by talking about how we need to sell ourselves (I had a sales job once, it made me feel slimy), some bullshit tests about learning styles (who makes it to the final year of college without knowing what the best way they learn is?) and told us our first assignment was to write up a "career objective" with 3 "career goals" and a plan to achieve them. Looking at the example report she gave us, I could tell she wasn't going to be very impressed with "work a desk job concerning fluid dynamics", "get paid well" and "get promotions so I can get paid more", but those were my career goals and I didn't feel like lying to her about them. Then she talks about resumes and interviews and "selling yourself" started to look more and more like "borderline lying". Having to write up a resume made me reflect and ruminate on all my past failures; this wasn't exactly inspiring any good moods, but it was a bullet I was going to have to bite sooner or later and I powered through it in the end. And then, after explaining to the class that I had absolutely zero experience with leadership of any sort and I didn't see that as a problem because I'm not going to be interested in management positions of any sort for 15-20 years as part of an in-class activity, she tells me that I have an attitude problem and maybe this isn't the right time for me to take Communications. Well, I guess my group is going to have to do their project on "Managing Millenials" without me. I wonder if she even realizes that we engineering students don't hold her in very high regards.

And of course, constantly looming over me is the fact that no matter how well I do in school it's no guarantee of a job. Even if I look at all the jobs I'm qualified for, I've got no HVAC training and everyone and their mother is asking for workers with experience. I've sent out resumes for real jobs in the past and have never gotten even so much as an interview. The only real job I've ever held I got because of my dad's work connections. I liked it there, and went back to do my placement in third year. However, I slacked off a little more than I should have and hit on one of the accountants (have you ever had a girl say "no" to you, and you weren't sure whether she meant "no, please don't ask again" or "no, but feel free to ask again some other time"? That was my mistake) so when I asked for a summer position they declined. My dad seems to think that I might be able to get a position there if I just talk to the boss, but what am I supposed to do, grovel? I would, but I just don't see anything working.

I am so tired of all this song and dance, of jumping through all these hoops. I really need to get an 8 hour a day job, not just for the money, but because having a daily schedule of "get up, shower, eat, go to work, come back, eat, sleep" is my best shot for keeping myself stable. If I hadn't failed in university, I could have been working for over a year now. If I hadn't failed last year, I'd be working now. And here I am now, failing again. It all seems so futile. Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of reasons to keep on living. However, all my major attempts to better myself have gone down in flames, and I'm starting to think that all future attempts will also end in failure no matter what I do and I'm ultimately better off not even trying.

On the upside, typing all this up has helped me think about what I'm going to say to the student adviser.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

karhell

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_A_MOLPY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102873 on: March 11, 2016, 11:00:39 am »

<snip>
If it's any comfort, it took me over 3 years to finally land in a stable position after university.
That "we want 5+ yr experienced people or a ridiculously overqualified diploma" cycle is horrendously hard to get out of, but once you get your foot in the door somewhere (and it sounds like you have, to some extent), you have something to show for it, even if it's only tangentially related.

Keep going. You can do it :)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #102874 on: March 11, 2016, 12:38:05 pm »

I am fucking great at fucking up. Like, holy fucking shit, I was waiting for my friend to finish his class and was basically fucking around the school out of boredom, and then I walked straight into them on their way out. How in the hell even they were there, she was going home like hour before and he... fuck, the urge to punch the guy in the face was greater than ever but in the end I just went past and settled for a wall. My hand is fucking mess now, it was pretty rough stone wall and my shitty gloves didin't help for anything. I then ended up sitting on my ass for next two hours because I was afraid that if I head to the train station I will literally jump under one.

It was supposed to get fucking easier but instead I'm just getting crazier. I should proably go drown in crapton of alcohol to forget but honestly I don't even feel like it anymore. I just want to sleep or something, even though I'm not really sleepy, I'm just... exhausted.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #102875 on: March 11, 2016, 01:12:32 pm »

(who makes it to the final year of college without knowing what the best way they learn is?)
If it helps you with understanding any, the answer was "Probably most of her class." It's pretty rare you actually meet a student that has accurately identified their best way(s) to learn (and still somewhat unusual you meet one that's even explicitly thought about it at all), and that's true at... pretty much any level. College seniors, post grads, returning students in their 50s+ that have been working for years, straight up decades experience tenured professors... I've seen examples of each of those that had basically no bloody clue how they learned or (sometimes horribly) mistaken about what worked for them, and they generally tend to be at least a plurality of the people in question. Lot of folks seem to just kinda' blunder their way through that sort of thing, yeah.

Then she talks about resumes and interviews and "selling yourself" started to look more and more like "borderline lying".
And yeah, that's... well, it's pretty close to what's being said. Squeeze as much out of what you've got as possible, and probably a bit beyond. Hell of a thing to get your head around if you're particularly inclined towards honesty, heh. Pretty terrible at it, m'self, and the resumes I've wrote up so far are more or less shite, but you do what you can. The rumination part of it is definitely something I feel you in regards to, but I can say it gets a little easier once you've done it a few times (and preferably got a template that does most of the work for you, so you don't have to think about it anymore and just tailor things a little to the position you're applying for.).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102876 on: March 11, 2016, 01:29:13 pm »

*hugs everybody that has posted since my last post*
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #102877 on: March 11, 2016, 01:40:02 pm »

*snip*
Congratulations! You have entered one of the phases of "being an adult", which is "having to figure out how to feed yourself post-college".

I sympathize because I went through the same shit not once, but twice (after finishing my BA in 1997 and again after my master's in 2008). How do you turn "I dunno, I took some classes about X?" into "Strong skills in X" on a resume? Well, you hit upon the first lesson: LIE THROUGH YOUR TEETH.

Not outright lie, but perhaps "creative embellishment". Most jobs openings heavily over-qualify the position. Personally, I think this is so that when they invariably settle for an applicant with less experience/skills than they listed, they can use that as an excuse to underpay. Many technical jobs will ask for experience with specific software packages. And yeah, ideally it'd be nice to get a person who can come in, sit down and immediately go "Oh, I know how to use this." But here's the thing -- it's far more important that you have some general idea of how it works rather than specifics.

I'll use myself as an example -- worked 15 years in tech support. All call centers use ticket management software like Remedy to log cases and assign calls to the rights groups. Once you've seen one, you've pretty much gt the hang of it. Other packages might have a few different bells and whistles or the buttons might be different places, but anyone with half a brain will figure it out if they're familiar with the concept. So if a job mentioned a different package, I just noted in my resume that I had Remedy experience.

Now, I lucked out in that my first jobs were in the dot-com bubble, when you could literally land a tech job if you knew where the power button was. Was much tougher in '08, especially as I was trying to jump to a whole new sector where I had zero experience.

As for my current job (project management), I totally exaggerated the hell out of that on my resume internally. I had done a couple of projects in my waning days on the support desk, breaking up a big chunk of work we had to do and assigning it to some T1 techs, and then having a meeting each day to see where we were and keeping records of who was doing what. That was in no way "formal" project management, but at the same time, that's the core of what a PM does. So I put that I had project management experience. When I landed a PM job, I ran out and grabbed like three books on Project Management for Beginners and read like hell. Sometimes "fake it till ya make it" IS a valid strategy in life.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #102878 on: March 11, 2016, 03:46:44 pm »

I sometimes get this feeling, I mean, don't take me wrong, I am not going to kill myself even if simply out of spite, but sometimes I would want an accident to happen to me. Like, if I were to lose balance and fall on the tracks before incoming train I wouldn't even try to roll off I'd let a truck hit me or... something. I wouldn't actively try to stop my death, but... at least I'm not going to work actively towards it but I don't think I would mind a lot.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102879 on: March 11, 2016, 04:12:57 pm »

*hugs Kot*
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102880 on: March 11, 2016, 04:17:45 pm »

Update: When I spoke the student adviser, she told me a number of things which radically altered my perspective on my Communications teacher. The most important of these things was a list she showed me; a weighted list of feedback from employers to the college concerning what they wanted out of engineering students they were hiring. It went as follows:
  • Ability to work in a team structure. (4.6)
  • Ability to verbally communicate with persons inside and outside the organization. (4.59)
  • Ability to make decisions and solve problems. (4.49)
  • Ability to obtain and organize information. (4.46)
  • Ability to plan, organize and prioritize work. (4.45)
  • Ability to analyze quantitative data. (4.23)
  • Technical knowledge related to the job. (4.23)
  • Proficiency with computer software programs. (4.04)
  • Ability to create and/or edit written reports. (3.65)
  • Ability to sell or influence others. (3.51)
She explained to me that if I was good with items 1-6 on that list, they would overlook any deficiencies I had in technical knowledge because they could just teach me. And suddenly, a lot of what my Communications teacher was pushing made a lot of sense. The worst case scenario now is that I complete Engine Design and CAM this term, and do Communications in the summer. On Monday, I'm going to have a chat with all my professors to figure out what I need to do to catch up; I think I'll show that list to my Communications teacher and explain how much good it did for me in hopes that she'll show it to others than might appreciate it.

I sometimes get this feeling, I mean, don't take me wrong, I am not going to kill myself even if simply out of spite, but sometimes I would want an accident to happen to me. Like, if I were to lose balance and fall on the tracks before incoming train I wouldn't even try to roll off I'd let a truck hit me or... something. I wouldn't actively try to stop my death, but... at least I'm not going to work actively towards it but I don't think I would mind a lot.
Sometimes, when I see a large vehicle approach/pass by I think "If I threw/had thrown myself in front of that large vehicle, it would kill me/I'd be dead now." But whenever I have such thoughts, I immediately think "Why the hell am I thinking that? I have so much to live for!" My advice to you would be to think of all the good things you'd miss if you were dead every time you have borderline suicidal thoughts. If you feel you don't have enough things to live for, try to get some more.

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #102881 on: March 11, 2016, 04:21:47 pm »

My advice to you would be to think of all the good things you'd miss if you were dead every time you have borderline suicidal thoughts. If you feel you don't have enough things to live for, try to get some more.
The first thing that I would think of is the one that made me feel that way in first place, so I guess I'm just royally fucked for now.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102882 on: March 11, 2016, 04:23:13 pm »

*applies more hugs*
Sigtext

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102883 on: March 11, 2016, 04:26:16 pm »

The first thing that I would think of is the one that made me feel that way in first place, so I guess I'm just royally fucked for now.
Oh, wow. I want to ask for specifics, but I'm not sure it would help in your case. If nothing else, try to think of the taste of foods that you like.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #102884 on: March 11, 2016, 04:40:30 pm »

Oh, wow. I want to ask for specifics, but I'm not sure it would help in your case. If nothing else, try to think of the taste of foods that you like.
Guh, the story is spread out through this whole sad thread and I think there is still that one in Life Advice (I am still not proud of that one), but basically it's about a girl (duh).
Yep, stay away from women kids, become gay as long as you can or something.
Pages: 1 ... 6857 6858 [6859] 6860 6861 ... 8167