Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6840 6841 [6842] 6843 6844 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9440811 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #102615 on: March 03, 2016, 10:31:43 am »

Quite the opposite - Atlas Shrugged is one of the most blatant "This is why we should burn down the entirety of society and rebuild it in my image" books ever written.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #102616 on: March 03, 2016, 10:34:33 am »

It has a damn good title, though.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #102617 on: March 03, 2016, 10:35:30 am »

Quite the opposite - Atlas Shrugged is one of the most blatant "This is why we should burn down the entirety of society and rebuild it in my image" books ever written.
Those two aren't necessarily opposites, the difference is that one provides lots of evidence for why their particular theory is great while the other one provides no real evidence for why their way is good, and just doubles down on the "society should be burnt down" without any particular evidence why their way is a solution after society is gone.

(Though to be fair it's been years since I even looked at the book, so I might just be not remembering correctly).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #102618 on: March 03, 2016, 10:37:55 am »

I read your comment as "Isn't Atlas Shrugged about how this is all of society's problems, but don't worry, I'll prove it's all an illusion!" while the book is more "This is the evil that communism, democracy, and religion have done, and I propose we KILL THEM ALL!"
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102619 on: March 03, 2016, 10:41:47 am »

I read your comment as "Isn't Atlas Shrugged about how this is all of society's problems, but don't worry, I'll prove it's all an illusion!" while the book is more "This is the evil that communism, democracy, and religion have done, and I propose we KILL THEM ALL!"
Yeah, I actually just wondering if I was remembering correctly in that she gives no real support for why "KILL THEM ALL" will actually lead to anything better than the problems that those being killed are doing, or if she actually shows any problems the kill them all plan might actually cause.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102620 on: March 03, 2016, 10:57:47 am »

I  never understood the whole "Read this book everyone reads it! You'll love it because they did!" thing people tend to do. Sheakspear is a good example in the US; We're required to read it, whether we want to or not, IIRC. No one really cares what an individual thinks, just so long as they get their paychecks. Needless to say, I don't really like the education system I'm currently stuck in. Although everyone I talk to tells me I have no right to judge it because I'm a part of it, which is exactly why I have every right to judge/critisize it.

I think the problem is they tell you to read Shakespeare.  Its a play, its meant to be seen, not read.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102621 on: March 03, 2016, 11:46:36 am »

* Cinder make discount Tiruin noises
What even is a Tiruin noise?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102622 on: March 03, 2016, 11:48:12 am »

I think it sounds like this.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102623 on: March 03, 2016, 11:52:54 am »

I can't believe I fell for that.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102624 on: March 03, 2016, 11:56:13 am »

I can't believe I fell for that.
Someone should write a browser extension that checks youtube links for that particular youtube ID and replaces the URL that shows when you hover over it with a big red warning. :P

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #102625 on: March 03, 2016, 12:02:25 pm »

Humanity. The general population of the Earth. This saddens me. Yes, there are good people. But they're so few and far between. Most of them end up overrun and hidden under the endless masses of selfish people. I'm no better, either. I go through my day, calculating my every move on some level, trying to find the best outcome for me. Or atleast the one that leaves the fewest people angry at me. I don't think "Oh so-and-so might be hurt and/or angry at me if I do this," it's almost always "I'm going to leave. Let's start damage control now, when I still have a good 5 years till then."
Alright Frank Chalmers, you need to lighten your mood somewhat.

There are plenty of good people. There's not a lot of exceptionally good people- those are the ones that are few and far between, but good people exist all over the place. They'll go and help their elderly neighbour take the bin out to the street, give a homeless man some money and so on. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not there.
also frank never stopped believing

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #102626 on: March 03, 2016, 12:14:12 pm »

I'm academically hosed. There will be no credit for any of the courses I took this quarter.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #102627 on: March 03, 2016, 02:23:55 pm »

Fuck.
Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.
FUCK. FUCK. FUCK. FUCK. FUCK. FUCK.
WHY DOES IT HURT SO MUCH IT'S LIKE LITERALLY BEING KICKED INTO GUTS
REPEATEDLY.

LIKE HOLY SHIT 112 DAYS LATER AND IT STILL BOTHERS ME WAY STRONGER THAN I WOULD WANT AND WAY STRONGER THAN IT SHOULD AND JUST
FUCK
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK JUST KILL ME OR SOMETHING I NEED IT TO STOP JUST GODDAMNIT

I just can't.
I literally just can't. I never had any idea you can ever get attached to someone so much. Seriously, I feel like I'm unbeliveably creepy and crazy atm, even if I'm not really doing anything, but internally I'm fucking breaking down every day and I again start to feel like I can't drag this on for much longer. Not going to kill myself, we already established that, but holy shit, I need to do something. I don't know what but... goddamnit, at this point I don't really care. Just... fuck.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 04:36:09 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102628 on: March 03, 2016, 05:34:09 pm »

I learned recently that one of my favorite high school teachers got arrested a little over a week ago and will probably be in jail for a long long time.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #102629 on: March 03, 2016, 06:00:59 pm »

what did he do?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 6840 6841 [6842] 6843 6844 ... 8167