Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6838 6839 [6840] 6841 6842 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9436726 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #102585 on: March 02, 2016, 01:34:46 pm »

...this situation of mine troubles my mind enough when I'm awake, now it's starting to creep into my dreams?
Well, looking back it was already happening several months before this. But now it's more obvious.

I also had a glimpse during my dreams of how my unconscious mind thinks of my desires and I'm rather disgusted by how overwhelmingly selfish it was. I know that's kinda the point of it, that the mind's naturally gonna focus on its own well-being and how it can benefit from a situation, but ... is all my affection for her really just a means of self-validation? Do I really care about her as a person (and thus other people) that little? If true, why the fuck have I been telling myself all these lies about selflessness and sacrifice for over a year now? Is it because my worst fear about myself is actually true and I'm just a weak, small coward dressing myself up as being a large and functional person, deluding myself that I actually care for anyone other than me and that other people care about me in turn? That in reality I'm incapable of doing nearly anything except leech off of others that didn't even ask for me to survive, doing nothing but being a burden weighing them down, useless to society, incapable of thinking of anyone besides myself or placing other people in any position of importance in my mind - I mean shit, look at this whole rant, nothing but me, me, me.
That's somewhat wrong of course. Just negative conditioning from my past trying to fuck up my perspective again. But it's unpleasant facing it before I even wake up, enduring self-disgust and shame for the way my mind works at a fundamental level, which I of course didn't choose.
I need to resolve this scenario. It's been a daunting prospect these last few weeks, and the temptation to keep my peace because she's in a happy scenario and I don't want to ruin it or because I'm too afraid of losing the friendship is strong, but I have to remind myself of moments like these. Where the stress gets to me and my old mental tells start coming back. It's ... it won't fix them entirely, but it'll help reduce the frequency of them. Hopefully.
9 years. Possibly more. If I ever have to search for evidence that love/infatuation blinds people and makes them do incredibly stupid things I just have to look back at those 9 years. Gods I wish my mother had never met him.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #102586 on: March 02, 2016, 06:10:17 pm »

Uuuuuuuuugh.... I've posted this same complaint a million times, I know... but seriously, why do people have to make each other's lives miserable by getting so emotional about the dumbest, pettiest shit and blowing it out of proportion?  I don't fucking get it.  No one likes being under attack about petty nitpicky bullshit.  So why do so few people have any self-awareness about it when they're the ones on the offensive?  I want to live on a mountain in the middle of fucking nowhere, just so I don't have to deal with people's ridiculous social power games and cliqueish rivalries. 
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #102587 on: March 02, 2016, 06:14:05 pm »

Hm, roommate is considering moving to Georgia. On the one hand, I cannot in good faith condemn any plan to get out of this particular shithole, but on the other, why Georgia of all places, and also it'll make finding a place to stay m'self pretty annoying. I may have to turn back to Craigslist.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102588 on: March 02, 2016, 06:17:08 pm »

*hugs Xan (platonically), Caroline (because you are probably just encountering other people that are ignoring niceness, not not being nice), SalmonGod (by way of general apology for humanity).*

...Argh, now I'm sad.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #102589 on: March 02, 2016, 06:26:12 pm »

Humanity. The general population of the Earth. This saddens me. Yes, there are good people. But they're so few and far between. Most of them end up overrun and hidden under the endless masses of selfish people. I'm no better, either. I go through my day, calculating my every move on some level, trying to find the best outcome for me. Or atleast the one that leaves the fewest people angry at me. I don't think "Oh so-and-so might be hurt and/or angry at me if I do this," it's almost always "I'm going to leave. Let's start damage control now, when I still have a good 5 years till then."
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102591 on: March 02, 2016, 09:15:07 pm »

Humanity. The general population of the Earth. This saddens me. Yes, there are good people. But they're so few and far between. Most of them end up overrun and hidden under the endless masses of selfish people. I'm no better, either. I go through my day, calculating my every move on some level, trying to find the best outcome for me. Or atleast the one that leaves the fewest people angry at me. I don't think "Oh so-and-so might be hurt and/or angry at me if I do this," it's almost always "I'm going to leave. Let's start damage control now, when I still have a good 5 years till then."
Maybe people need to see good people to start taking action and being actively good? Then it starts with you.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #102592 on: March 02, 2016, 09:22:09 pm »

Maybe people need to see good people to start taking action and being actively good? Then it starts with you.
https://youtu.be/GDQob4AOCsQ?t=2m26s
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #102593 on: March 02, 2016, 09:51:04 pm »

Too awake. Cannot sleep in preparation for the drive starting at 2:30 this morning. Graaaahhh.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102594 on: March 02, 2016, 09:54:44 pm »

https://youtu.be/GDQob4AOCsQ?t=2m26s
Eh, would it help to hear of people suffering a terrible job that they're ill-equipped to handle for the sake of beliefs, hope, and a cause despite overwhelming dissenting opinion within and without? Cos if so, I work at a private school that's tuition, scholarship, and donation based and services poverty-ridden communities and make less than 400$/mo. often less than 300$ (it's not technically below minimum wage as long as I only count the hours I'm hired for as opposed to the ones I work ), but I stick with it out of a sense of duty and hope that I really can help them stay afloat and hopefully impact the childrens' lives for the better. Am I still a selfish and often cantankerous person? Yes. But I've actually managed to twist that into doing [what I hope is] good. And so can you. And whenever I can I try to offer encouragement, advice, and friendship ( or at least friendliness ) despite my standoffish and angry nature, to everyone. Hopefully that helps. If not, I'm sure others have better. To answer a few unspoken questions: I get buy on disability and family support and am looking for better gainful employment, I too am often saddened by humanity, and even when I move on to a better job, I'd still like to help people as much as I can muster.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #102595 on: March 02, 2016, 10:54:59 pm »

I guess it's not so much that I don't see people helping/being good, I think it's just that I write it off as "They'll want something from me later. Why else would they help me?" in my mind, because that's what I do. It normally means I end up being a good person on accident, but recently I've ended up distancing all my friends, as if I know I'm going to leave. Oh well. Atleast I got to stay here for four years this time. Longest time, actually.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #102596 on: March 02, 2016, 10:57:19 pm »

I just finished reading Catcher in the Rye.

It feels like I am the only person on the planet with this opinion, but to be honest, Catcher in the Rye is by a huge margin the worst book I have ever read in my life. The whole thing is overanalysed by everyone which only makes it less enjoyable, you've got a protagonist who is basically the result of someone creating the angstiest teen possible without making any actual effort to make him believable or relatable or remotely likable, the plot is basically nonexistent, 90 percent of the book is just Holden talking about how crappy his life is in an effort from the author to use him as sympathy bait which doesn't work because 90 percent of the bad shit in the book wouldn't have happened if he had made any effort to avoid it, Holden's depression feels less like actual depression and sounds more like someone mocking depression and feels extremely forced in general, the writing is poor because Holden repeats pretty much everything he says at least once and uses goddamn swears too fucking much, nothing that happens is ever relevant due to the lack of any plot or conflict of any sort, the ending chapter is TWO PARAGRAPHS LONG, and is essentially Holden saying that he will go to a new school again and maybe start trying to fix things which just further reminds you of how little progress was made throughout the entire thing in a huge anticlimax. But everyone loves it because of how oh so lovable and relatable the protagonist is and call it one of the greatest novels ever written. I fucking hate this book, I'm glad I finished it and I hope I never have to even speak about it again.

There, I said it. You may crucify me now.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102597 on: March 02, 2016, 10:59:37 pm »

* Yoink measures out a couple of sturdy lengths of timber and begins sawing them into suitable pieces for a large cross.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #102598 on: March 02, 2016, 11:00:29 pm »

My god, IronTomato... I've finally found a kindred spirit. JD Salinger is the worst.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #102599 on: March 02, 2016, 11:01:49 pm »

I  never understood the whole "Read this book everyone reads it! You'll love it because they did!" thing people tend to do. Sheakspear is a good example in the US; We're required to read it, whether we want to or not, IIRC. No one really cares what an individual thinks, just so long as they get their paychecks. Needless to say, I don't really like the education system I'm currently stuck in. Although everyone I talk to tells me I have no right to judge it because I'm a part of it, which is exactly why I have every right to judge/critisize it.

Pages: 1 ... 6838 6839 [6840] 6841 6842 ... 8167