Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6791 6792 [6793] 6794 6795 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9428848 times)

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #101880 on: February 11, 2016, 08:40:07 pm »

Going to go out on a limb here, but is it because using trans as a prefix makes it look like there's a distinction between a [transman/transwoman] and a [man/woman], while using it as an adjective instead makes the implication closer to a [man/woman] who just happens to be trans?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 08:42:25 pm by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101881 on: February 11, 2016, 08:41:38 pm »

I'm fairly certain that's it (or part of it).
Black lives matter.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #101882 on: February 11, 2016, 08:43:51 pm »

Well that's retarded
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101883 on: February 11, 2016, 08:48:10 pm »

That's language for you. A single space can change the entire meaning of a sentence.

Explaining it, looking at it, and going "This is an extremely stupid system we humans have made," doesn't make the system go away.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101884 on: February 11, 2016, 08:48:28 pm »

Could always be worse. People might start using the prefix form of trans to denote transhumanism, thereby making the presence of the space completely change the meaning.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101885 on: February 11, 2016, 08:48:35 pm »

The point of it, I think, is that they don't want there to be a specific difference between themselves and a regular person. They want to be considered a regular person that just happens to have the wrong bits.
Black lives matter.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #101886 on: February 11, 2016, 08:53:39 pm »

Love gone bad is like gangrene: You need to cut into healthy flesh to make sure you get rid of all the bad bits. Better to have a short sleeve amputation and live than to keep your elbow and die a short while later.
I prefer using maggots, myself. They eat the rotten goop but leave the healthy flesh behind to heal.
The problem is with the fact that love, unlike gangrene, resides in heart or brain (depends on how romantic you are) and it's kind of hard to amptutate either one (or both) and live. Also, I'm not exactly good at surgery, and even then I'm not a badass Soviet sciencist to do it on myself. And maggots... well, I may be one of those crazy medicinephobes, but I don't feel maggots on my brain or heart is a good idea... and I'm not exactly sure what would be left.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101887 on: February 11, 2016, 08:54:17 pm »

Love gone bad is like gangrene: You need to cut into healthy flesh to make sure you get rid of all the bad bits. Better to have a short sleeve amputation and live than to keep your elbow and die a short while later.
I prefer using maggots, myself. They eat the rotten goop but leave the healthy flesh behind to heal.
The problem is with the fact that love, unlike gangrene, resides in heart or brain (depends on how romantic you are) and it's kind of hard to amptutate either one (or both) and live. Also, I'm not exactly good at surgery, and even then I'm not a badass Soviet sciencist to do it on myself.
Hence OW's maggot suggestion :P

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #101888 on: February 11, 2016, 09:01:05 pm »

The problem is with the fact that love, unlike gangrene, resides in heart or brain (depends on how romantic you are) and it's kind of hard to amptutate either one (or both) and live. Also, I'm not exactly good at surgery, and even then I'm not a badass Soviet sciencist to do it on myself. And maggots... well, I may be one of those crazy medicinephobes, but I don't feel maggots on my brain or heart is a good idea... and I'm not exactly sure what would be left.
Hence OW's maggot suggestion :P
Ninja-edits everywhere.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #101889 on: February 11, 2016, 09:08:08 pm »

The point of it, I think, is that they don't want there to be a specific difference between themselves and a regular person. They want to be considered a regular person that just happens to have the wrong bits.
I fail to see how being called transwoman/transman as opposed to trans woman/trans man makes someone not a person.

I should probably clarify my earlier reaction.
Going to go out on a limb here, but is it because using trans as a prefix makes it look like there's a distinction between a [transman/transwoman] and a [man/woman], while using it as an adjective instead makes the implication closer to a [man/woman] who just happens to be trans?
That's utterly balmy. Of course a distinction exists between trans and not-trans; that's the whole reason the word exists. A trans woman isn't genetically female and no amount of politically correct pandering is going to change that.

What this boils down to is pretending there's a distinction between "transwoman" and "trans woman" (or man, or whatever) and being offended by what you are, which is dumb as hell, why would you want to be offended by yourself, I can't even

Okay, rant over
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101890 on: February 11, 2016, 09:11:21 pm »

It's the word. It's just the word. I'm not saying I understand either, but from what I've heard, they prefer it to be two words instead of one.
Black lives matter.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101891 on: February 11, 2016, 09:11:49 pm »

I am fucked in so many ways and tide has just been out until now. Choo choo here comes a gigantic fucking mess.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101892 on: February 11, 2016, 09:20:10 pm »

What this boils down to is pretending there's a distinction between "transwoman" and "trans woman" (or man, or whatever) and being offended by what you are, which is dumb as hell, why would you want to be offended by yourself, I can't even
Probably for the same reasons that people try to change terms like "fireman" into being gender neutral instead of just giving "man" back it's prefix and then using "man" without it's prefix as a gender neutral term.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101893 on: February 11, 2016, 09:22:09 pm »

because then we'd be calling men "weremen" and women would be all sad because they don't get awesome superpowers now

and/or we call them wyfman and that just raises all kinds of eyebrows of the german variety, eh Mein Frau eh?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101894 on: February 11, 2016, 09:28:45 pm »

Well, I know quite a few heartless people - and in cities like Dresden societies for the brain-amputated have been enjoying great popularity in recent months.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 6791 6792 [6793] 6794 6795 ... 8167