Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6788 6789 [6790] 6791 6792 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9430374 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #101835 on: February 10, 2016, 10:06:58 pm »

My time isn't my own.
That doesn't make any sense. Are you a slave?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101836 on: February 10, 2016, 10:09:15 pm »

My time isn't my own.
That doesn't make any sense. Are you a slave?
No,  but I refuse to speak about more personal things publicly.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #101837 on: February 10, 2016, 10:12:18 pm »

-snip-
I don't know if you want any comment, but if so, that's what the rest of this post is. If not, then I apologize.

Thing is, life isn't fair. I know that's a shitty platitude that jackasses like to use when they're doing jackassy things. Please do not let them ruin it. Fairness isn't even a coherent concept. It's arbitrary, and not even in the good way. Nobody has enough information to make the right call. It depends on too much information - any trivial fact you'd never think to ask for can change what the fair response is. And with the right omissions, any action can be described as evil. The reality never changes - just what we know about it. And even if you postulate some omniscient state of being we should aspire to, you must also imagine that such a person would never make errors in judgment - a hard sell in a world that requires moral judgments to be made in the first place. Only with infinite knowledge and infinite wisdom could you even come up with a definition of fairness, much less have the ability to test it.

I'm not saying that morality is a sham you should abandon. That's the talk of the jackasses. What I'm saying is that you aren't qualified to say it's unfair for people to help you. Who are you to make that call? Do not try to make things fair. You don't even know where to look for that. Try to make things better. That's a lot easier. A lot more realistic. You don't have to make judgment calls about who doesn't deserve help. All you have to decide is who can be helped. And if people want to help you, don't turn them away because you think you know better. They made their decision, and apparently they've decided that you're worth helping.

or at least, that's helped me

whatever's good for you, i guess
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #101838 on: February 10, 2016, 10:16:34 pm »

I would still urge you to not feel bad about needing help. If you "cracked" for a few seconds and folk are worried, sounds like you might need it.

Anyway, you don't have to give up your time now, or plan for it. Could be a spur of the moment thing in a few years or something. You're only really beholden to yourself.

PPE: also what Bauglir said. If folk find worth in helping you, who are you to turn them away?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #101839 on: February 10, 2016, 10:19:32 pm »

Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101840 on: February 10, 2016, 10:20:22 pm »

PPE: also what Bauglir said. If folk find worth in helping you, who are you to turn them away?
Explaining the justification I have is something personal, and there are only two people here I'm willing to speak to about personal things. I have an excellent reason to keep the intervention of others at a minimum.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #101841 on: February 10, 2016, 10:23:07 pm »

Aye, that was a rhetorical question on my part. Please, keep your privacy - it ain't very altruistic to demand our curiosity be satisfied at your expense, even (especially?) to offer help you never asked for. Good luck, but don't judge yourself too harshly.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101842 on: February 10, 2016, 10:23:44 pm »

-snip-
I don't know if you want any comment, but if so, that's what the rest of this post is. If not, then I apologize.

Thing is, life isn't fair. I know that's a shitty platitude that jackasses like to use when they're doing jackassy things. Please do not let them ruin it. Fairness isn't even a coherent concept. It's arbitrary, and not even in the good way. Nobody has enough information to make the right call. It depends on too much information - any trivial fact you'd never think to ask for can change what the fair response is. And with the right omissions, any action can be described as evil. The reality never changes - just what we know about it. And even if you postulate some omniscient state of being we should aspire to, you must also imagine that such a person would never make errors in judgment - a hard sell in a world that requires moral judgments to be made in the first place. Only with infinite knowledge and infinite wisdom could you even come up with a definition of fairness, much less have the ability to test it.

I'm not saying that morality is a sham you should abandon. That's the talk of the jackasses. What I'm saying is that you aren't qualified to say it's unfair for people to help you. Who are you to make that call? Do not try to make things fair. You don't even know where to look for that. Try to make things better. That's a lot easier. A lot more realistic. You don't have to make judgment calls about who doesn't deserve help. All you have to decide is who can be helped. And if people want to help you, don't turn them away because you think you know better. They made their decision, and apparently they've decided that you're worth helping.

or at least, that's helped me

whatever's good for you, i guess
It's excellent input. I won't comment on it, I can't find a way to phrase what I have to say correctly.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101843 on: February 10, 2016, 10:26:08 pm »

Explaining the justification I have is something personal, and there are only two people here I'm willing to speak to about personal things. I have an excellent reason to keep the intervention of others at a minimum.

That's fine, and I'm sure you do. Perhaps these people have excellent reasons to intervene too, though. Just something to consider, prob'ly. Or maybe not, as Bauglir said, I won't pry further beyond HERETAKETHEADVICEYOUDIDN'TASKFOR.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101844 on: February 10, 2016, 10:34:24 pm »

That's fine, and I'm sure you do. Perhaps these people have excellent reasons to intervene too, though. Just something to consider, prob'ly. Or maybe not, as Bauglir said, I won't pry further beyond HERETAKETHEADVICEYOUDIDN'TASKFOR.
Advice is good, no point in being deliberately ignorant and turning it down. I never said anything about advice.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #101845 on: February 10, 2016, 11:06:45 pm »

Advice: BLAMEST NOT THYSELF
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101846 on: February 10, 2016, 11:24:28 pm »

Advice is good, no point in being deliberately ignorant and turning it down. I never said anything about advice.

I know. I mean we (me) are offering advice on your situation that we know little about, that you didn't explicitly ask for.

Question though: what's the difference between advice and help?

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101847 on: February 10, 2016, 11:32:27 pm »

I know. I mean we (me) are offering advice on your situation that we know little about, that you didn't explicitly ask for.

Question though: what's the difference between advice and help?
Help is an action, advice is just words.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #101848 on: February 11, 2016, 12:05:38 am »

I have spent anywhere between 2 hours and 4 hours on a 5 question calculus quiz that is supposed to take 15 minutes. (I don't remember exactly when I started and it's been a blur of mathematically not getting anywhere.)

I don't know what the shit I'm doing wrong. I don't know what to do to do it right. I don't know what I'm even solving for anymore.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101849 on: February 11, 2016, 12:09:55 am »

I have spent anywhere between 2 hours and 4 hours on a 5 question calculus quiz that is supposed to take 15 minutes. (I don't remember exactly when I started and it's been a blur of mathematically not getting anywhere.)

I don't know what the shit I'm doing wrong. I don't know what to do to do it right. I don't know what I'm even solving for anymore.

Ah, I understand this feeling well. :'( Usually I don't "get it" until several days later where I have a math epiphany in the middle of something completely unrelated.

Although actual Calculus is probably exponentially harder then any math I've tackled thus far
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling
Pages: 1 ... 6788 6789 [6790] 6791 6792 ... 8167