Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6743 6744 [6745] 6746 6747 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9429160 times)

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #101160 on: January 24, 2016, 05:59:02 pm »

I'm going to side with Tawarochir on this and say that if people can't be civil in political threads then we shouldn't have them, and anyone who disagrees just wants to start arguments or can't comprehend this.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101161 on: January 24, 2016, 06:00:39 pm »

I'm going to side with Tawarochir on this and say that if people can't be civil in political threads then we shouldn't have them, and anyone who disagrees just wants to start arguments or can't comprehend this.
Side against Tawarochir, you mean?
Because that's exactly the opposite of what he said.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101162 on: January 24, 2016, 06:01:21 pm »

Side against Tawarochir, you mean?
Because that's exactly the opposite of what he said.
Right.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101163 on: January 24, 2016, 06:01:28 pm »

Naah, the consequence is that we should keep the impolite folks out of those threads. The regulars - except for LW, emperor of shitposters, maybe - usually manage to keep a fairly good discussion going.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101164 on: January 24, 2016, 06:03:36 pm »

How so? Political threads benefit no-one and upset a great many people.
Give me one good reason we still have them.
This board benefits no-one and upsets a great many people.
Give me one good reason we still have it.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101165 on: January 24, 2016, 06:06:39 pm »

How does it benefit no-one? Last time I checked a lot of people on here were friends and kept in touch via the board.
Unless you're trying to call political arguments a 'benefit'? Because from where I'm sitting it seems that those just detract from the good points of the board as a whole.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #101166 on: January 24, 2016, 06:10:57 pm »

Then don't post in 'em, and get alternative contact info for folks you like. Yes, it does suck when somebody you like gets banned, but as far as my (admittedly subjective) experience goes, Toady's done a fine job of discriminating between problem topics and problem posters. Don't get me wrong, I do feel bad that you've lost contact with somebody. That really is a shitty situation! And I am sorry you are in it. As far as policy changes go, I don't agree though.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #101167 on: January 24, 2016, 06:13:30 pm »

Maybe we should just bring back VN.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #101168 on: January 24, 2016, 06:13:53 pm »

Why does nobody respond to my posts, ever

I've been looking for help all weekend, and nobody cares

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #101169 on: January 24, 2016, 06:15:58 pm »

Mostly because we get distracted with politics and Yoink disliking said politics.

You can PM me if you'd like to chat about something. I'm sure other people would be happy to as well.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #101170 on: January 24, 2016, 06:29:07 pm »

Why does nobody respond to my posts, ever

I've been looking for help all weekend, and nobody cares
sorry, man, didn't know you wanted help

figured you were venting

take the time you've got left and spend it on productive things. switch off your computer until you've done something relevant, unless it's all computer-related stuff, in which case i have no advice and only sympathy
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101171 on: January 24, 2016, 06:30:27 pm »

You can PM me if you'd like to chat about something. I'm sure other people would be happy to as well.
I don't know how helpful I'll be, but you can PM me too if you want.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101172 on: January 24, 2016, 06:34:19 pm »

How does it benefit no-one? Last time I checked a lot of people on here were friends and kept in touch via the board.
Unless you're trying to call political arguments a 'benefit'? Because from where I'm sitting it seems that those just detract from the good points of the board as a whole.
Remember when Russia was liberating™ oppressed™ minorities™ in Ukraine? The news about that was next-to-worthless, barely heard anything worth hearing from the newspapers. Heard more balanced and probably more detailed stuff on here than anywhere else.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #101173 on: January 24, 2016, 06:50:17 pm »

Remember when Russia was liberating™ oppressed™ minorities™ in Ukraine? The news about that was next-to-worthless, barely heard anything worth hearing from the newspapers. Heard more balanced and probably more detailed stuff on here than anywhere else.
No there were no Russians liberating Ukraine, those were self defence forces self defencing everywhere with self defensive offensive capabilities of defensiveness

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101174 on: January 24, 2016, 07:07:26 pm »

No there were no Russians liberating Ukraine, those were self defence forces self defencing everywhere with self defensive offensive capabilities of defensiveness
Sounds like something a Defense Department would do!

I appreciate this thread for venting.  I really don't expect or even want advice most of the time, I would use Life Advice, yadda... yadda...

Except that's kinda bull because I got some unexpected support the other day and really needed it, so.  You guys are great, thanks for helping people.

Cinder I care about you a lot and I want you to be okay.  *hug*
Miauw I'm sorry you're having relationship troubles and I hope you find someone nice who deserves you.  For the record I think of you as a cool programmer.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 6743 6744 [6745] 6746 6747 ... 8167