Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6696 6697 [6698] 6699 6700 ... 8169

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9538942 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #100455 on: January 04, 2016, 04:30:18 am »

Speaking of unread books, I just realized that I never read the book for my book club this month.
You should read "How to talk about books you haven't read". I haven't read it, so my recommendation is insincere, but...
There were a couple of books I had to write essays on for highschool that I never read/only read parts thereof, and still managed to bullshit my way through to getting high marks. In other words, it's doable, just listen to what other people say first, and then twist words a little so it sounds like you've god new ideas when it reality it's just paraphrasing.

E: It occurs to me that the teacher probably realised that. The essays were pretty obviously bullshit, but for someone who hadn't studied the book, it would seem like a reasonable interpretation. Maybe she was trying to make me pursue a career in journalism or something.

One of my friends repeatedly got high A's for some English essays on a book, and at least one teacher thought she'd read the book at least twice. She hadn't even opened it.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100456 on: January 04, 2016, 10:46:06 am »

Thanks, but that points to http://bay12games.com/
...  This list is *weird* actually, bay12forums doesn't show up on it at all.  Several Youtube videos show up, in odd order (one of the highest, I haven't watched much or recently).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100457 on: January 04, 2016, 11:59:03 am »

I just keep my phone's browser open to new replies.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100458 on: January 04, 2016, 01:02:15 pm »

Thanks, but that points to http://bay12games.com/
...  This list is *weird* actually, bay12forums doesn't show up on it at all.  Several Youtube videos show up, in odd order (one of the highest, I haven't watched much or recently).

As someone who entered "bay12games" every time I came here, I'm in the same boat. That 404 error from the autocomplete is driving me crazy.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #100459 on: January 04, 2016, 03:38:21 pm »

My 9-year old daughter sort of finally made the connection that human mortality means that Mommy and Daddy are going to die one day, and very likely before she does. And now she's terrified that it's going to happen ANY FUCKING MINUTE that she's not in line-of-sight of us. Which is doubly problematic since we're divorced and she can't physically do that very often.

It's hell to try and comfort your child but also not lie to them. It's like "no, I don't plan on dying any time soon", but there's always the potential for
  • car wreck
  • cancer
  • random crazy fucker with a gun
  • rabid bear attack
  • slip and fall down the stairs
  • a million other things that are statistically unlikely but not impossible and which are completely out of my control and impossible to predict

:-\

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #100460 on: January 04, 2016, 04:13:00 pm »

The time has come, force her to read Nietzsche.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #100461 on: January 04, 2016, 04:15:37 pm »

"Darling, daddy has to try to become the Ubermensch some day. It's the way of the world. No, it's okay. At least as Ubermensch I may survive the rabid bear attack. You want daddy to live, don't you? Good."
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100462 on: January 04, 2016, 05:22:25 pm »

More practically, begin statistics/probability math lessons. Or something like that for nine year olds.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #100463 on: January 04, 2016, 05:40:48 pm »

Found out earlier that my dentist isn;t going to ba able to see me this evening after all so I've gotta deal with this toothache until friday
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #100464 on: January 04, 2016, 05:44:30 pm »

More practically, begin statistics/probability math lessons. Or something like that for nine year olds.
Yeah, that's kinda the route I've been going, and she's generally a very rational 9-year old. But her mom is an extremely irrational, emotion-driven woman and she gets some of that as well, especially under stress. She's got a meeting tomorrow with the school counselor so hopefully that'll help.

Plus, knowing my luck any example would backfire.

"Okay,we're going to roll this d100, and any result other than 100 would mean nothing happens."
*rolls 00*
*child runs off screaming*

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #100465 on: January 04, 2016, 05:50:58 pm »

It could also backfire through some of the...arguable irrationalities of our society. The number of people injured and killed by cars every year might be cause for somewhat more founded fear than your inexplicable death.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #100466 on: January 04, 2016, 05:58:57 pm »

It could also backfire through some of the...arguable irrationalities of our society. The number of people injured and killed by cars every year might be cause for somewhat more founded fear than your inexplicable death.
Yeah, I tried to point out that her great-grandfather drove for a living (~50 years of driving trucks of all shapes and sizes) and was only in a handful of accidents in all that time. Though one of those did fuck up his back to the point they had to cut new vertebrae out of his hip....

Likewise, the ex's boyfriend has like 12 steel bolts in his body because of a skiing accident. So she was terrified Mommy was going to die in a skiing accident. Though...she doesn't ski... ::)
I feel bad for her, because I remember having the same sort of realization around that age, though in my case it was more about "holy fuck *I* don't want to die"

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #100467 on: January 04, 2016, 06:05:10 pm »

It's weird...just about everyone seems to recall having a crisis over realizing the nature of death, but I don't.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #100468 on: January 04, 2016, 06:12:03 pm »

It's weird...just about everyone seems to recall having a crisis over realizing the nature of death, but I don't.
Maybe you haven't had it yet. Ask MZ if he remembers it.  :P

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #100469 on: January 04, 2016, 06:19:15 pm »

Karate, so you can kiai the shit out of your parents some day and walk out like a badass?

Pages: 1 ... 6696 6697 [6698] 6699 6700 ... 8169