Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6680 6681 [6682] 6683 6684 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9442185 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #100215 on: December 28, 2015, 01:23:25 am »

I'd agree with that. 
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100216 on: December 28, 2015, 01:45:08 am »

A) That's why I got kicked out of AA. I was there to fight my addiction, not sit in a circle and say, "I'm a bad person and what I'm doing is bad, also religion is the cornerstone of everything!" Fuck that bullshit. It helps some people get clean, but that attitude isn't healthy. To apply that to people who were abused or attacked is fundamentally wrong, and I would like to meet the people in charge of those programs to show just how painful life can be.

B) Today, I lost a very close friend to a car crash. We'd drifted apart a bit, but his loss deeply shook me. If anyone in the group was going to be unbreakable, it was him, and he was the only one of us that never fell to the trap of cynicism and was never jaded, no matter how much shit life threw his way. I'll miss that glorious Celtic berserker.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #100217 on: December 28, 2015, 02:20:56 am »

I'm sorry to hear that, Max. :c
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100218 on: December 28, 2015, 03:29:18 am »

Man, that's a bummer, Max.

One last thing on AA. In California, an atheist forced to go to AA sued the state and won a compensation claim of almost $2 million because AA is a religious organization and it's a breach of your constitutional rights to make you do that. It's worth pushing this stuff as the ruling caused California to crack the whip and prevent parolees being set to faith-based programs, so standing up to it can make a difference.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 03:33:39 am by Reelya »

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #100219 on: December 28, 2015, 03:32:46 am »

Well, that's good at least.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #100220 on: December 28, 2015, 03:34:02 am »

I'm surprised, I've heard horror stories about how judges assign AA meetings like candy and take mortal offense to any objection, though such types tend to take mortal offense to just about every real or imagined slight possible.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #100221 on: December 28, 2015, 04:12:52 am »

[...]
I have no words.
Programs like those would at least follow a standard of holistic practice--not dogmatic reasoning!
...that is not religion there. It's a reinforcement of a perceived lifestyle of teaching--but a very poor one if taken by itself. Even if used as tenets as a foundation to move forward from, it's...

That isn't right. Lacking clarity, non-critical in nature, and vague in specifying what concept must be faced...[I mean dear goodness. Pray to God that he stops you from drinking--but that ignores half the everything else in the source you derive the idea from that makes it contextual and understandable (and I could go on about this if not due to bad internet but...just what?!]
Even the discussion of wording brings a very bad taste--the statement of noting the concept of being "powerless" is a very unclear superlative, doubly so when applied when teaching other people given the process of communication and...considering the many sciences and knowledge abound, why is this kind of thinking being promoted as a core teaching? The lack of specificity of the foundation will lead to nascent thinking and stifled understanding.
Oh my goodness. :'(

Edit: Sorry to hear that, Max. :S
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 06:38:31 am by Tiruin »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #100222 on: December 28, 2015, 05:05:29 am »

Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100223 on: December 28, 2015, 09:23:17 am »

Just finished the second season of The Wire.
I think it's mostly the 'post-fiction comedown' feeling (I wish there was an actual name for that) that's making me feel a bit sad, really. I have three more seasons to watch, so I can only imagine how I'll feel when it's all done with. It's a really good show, though. A pleasant surprise for sure.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #100224 on: December 28, 2015, 12:58:27 pm »

Why am I even looking at facebook it just makes me sad.

I doubt I'll be able to ask my crush out, but at the same time sending her a message on fb seems so tempting >.>

Also, my new therapist still hasn't called to make an appointment :/
Asking a person out over facebook is...not a good tactic if you aren't already dating that person. Better to do it in person.

Just saying hey and conversing or something is probably fine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
i wasn't planning to ask her out over facebook :x

but i sort of want to message her and just say hey but on the other hand i actually really dont >.>

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #100225 on: December 28, 2015, 01:37:42 pm »

but i sort of want to message her and just say hey but on the other hand i actually really dont >.>
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #100226 on: December 28, 2015, 01:52:05 pm »

* miauw62 hugs

thanks man

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100227 on: December 28, 2015, 01:55:59 pm »

Christ just do it, it's hardly a legally binding contract or anything. It's fucking Christmas you can ask about that or anything else either.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #100228 on: December 28, 2015, 01:58:52 pm »

Can confirm that a "Hey, merry Christmas and happy New Year! Enjoying the holdiay?" is rarely considered a faux pas. And it is a good conversation starter - it leads naturally into a "Done anything interesting?" type of conversation, which is a good way of getting to know someone and their interests.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #100229 on: December 28, 2015, 02:12:04 pm »

the worst thing you could possibly do for your chances is to hide in a corner and never approach her

sure, it means you'll never have confirmation that your chances are 0, and can therefore hope that they're not, but trust me - unless you take steps to make your hopes known, you can hardly expect them to be realized by the people they depend on

something something you'll never make any of the shots you don't try to make something something dark side

edit: there is such a thing as being too blunt, but seriously, starting up a conversation and treating her like a friend should be basically fine
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 6680 6681 [6682] 6683 6684 ... 8167