Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6657 6658 [6659] 6660 6661 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9436106 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #99870 on: December 16, 2015, 11:20:53 pm »

Just tell her it's a date when you get there.  ;P
I think I'll just ask around - being able to do that is one of the advantages of sharing friends and aquaintances. Hell, one particular guy practically is my man on the inside* :p

*Metaphorically speaking, of course.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99871 on: December 17, 2015, 12:09:23 am »

yeah i'm pretty sure one of the main thrusts of dating is that eventually you'll become the man on the inside

ba-dum tish
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #99872 on: December 17, 2015, 12:12:57 am »

Cat is still outside. It's ~40 degrees F (~4 degrees C) outside. Go home cat. We can't let you stay here.

I put a blanket out which he snuggled up in. Hopefully if he stays sitting outside our front door tonight that'll be enough to keep him warmer. Stupid cat, go home.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #99873 on: December 17, 2015, 12:47:31 am »

Due to a typo, I generated my data wrong. It takes about 6 hours per set, and I need 2, so I'm not going to be done with replacing it until tomorrow night, leaving me with Friday afternoon to do all my analysis and rig up the fancy charts I need. Which complicates things, given all the family stuff I have to do tomorrow night and on Friday.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #99874 on: December 17, 2015, 12:51:50 am »

How much data are you generating for it to take six hours?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #99875 on: December 17, 2015, 01:17:38 am »

Only about 44 million numbers, but there's multiple calls to RNGs in each of them and in almost all one of those is cryptographically secure so it's slow as balls. Plus, I haven't optimized like, at all. I could do pretty well if I could into multithreading, but I can't and I'd spend way more time than I have learning how.

No, it has nothing to do with cryptography, I'm just being totally asinine about adding random noise, so it's my fault really.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #99876 on: December 17, 2015, 01:38:48 am »

...why would you need 44 million random numbers?
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #99877 on: December 17, 2015, 01:41:03 am »

That sound pointlessly overcomplicated.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #99878 on: December 17, 2015, 01:55:00 am »

...why would you need 44 million random numbers?
the galactic empire is pretty big

even a sample size of a million people is insignificant compared to a population of one hundred quadrillion, and i need 22 numbers apiece for reasons, and two datasets (pre- and post-treatment)

That sound pointlessly overcomplicated.
yeah probably

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #99879 on: December 17, 2015, 01:58:19 am »

As I go to retouch on some of my old projects, I'm feeling somewhat nostalgic over forum-times of the past. I've had some pretty good times here, but I miss them. I left some things alone for too long, or other people moved on. I guess I've since had some fun times on the lower boards. But I don't think I've ever quite recaptured the fun of some earlier things.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99880 on: December 17, 2015, 04:05:51 am »

I just watched the finale of Fargo season two and the last few episodes of True Detective season two.
That was some heavy shit. Although honestly this is probably more of a Happy, since they (especially True Detective) were such great shows. I certainly hope True Detective gets renewed for a third season... such an excellent series.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #99881 on: December 17, 2015, 06:22:28 am »

I stand by my suggestion that you're worrying about this too much , miauw. You get two weeks away from school and you're sad about it because of liking a girl. Lovey-dovey shit is supposed to make people happy or some naive thing like that.

I'm kinda hypocritical though. I remember being like that, lovesick or whatever you'd want to call it. Got over it, though. Didn't get the girl either, but I honestly don't regret that. Now I just think it was stupid of me to get so stressed out and stuff - for months and years - over a girl I didn't really know or talk to who now, after graduating high school, I will probably never ever ever see ever again.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that, based on my experience, what may seem to be a huge deal and very important to you now could seem like a really silly thing to get worked up over, when looking at it in hindsight years later.
so you're saying i'll hate myself later over this?

anyway, if i could just stop caring like that i might have already done that :x
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 06:25:32 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99882 on: December 17, 2015, 06:36:55 am »

@miauw: No, he's saying that he was able to move on.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #99883 on: December 17, 2015, 09:03:14 am »

@miauw: No, he's saying that he was able to move on.
Yeah, what this guy said.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #99884 on: December 17, 2015, 09:08:46 am »

As I go to retouch on some of my old projects, I'm feeling somewhat nostalgic over forum-times of the past. I've had some pretty good times here, but I miss them. I left some things alone for too long, or other people moved on. I guess I've since had some fun times on the lower boards. But I don't think I've ever quite recaptured the fun of some earlier things.
Same feelings shared here :-\ I'm very glad I can feel and recall what I first felt upon visiting and reading what others have done here, and looking at what I've done too, in...comparison.

It's a motivation to do better, and to learn from...as constructive as I see it. Especially when you consider the full situation on 'why' this happened in examining yourself. My tiny sad here is that I lack online time recently, but am busy writing and reading offline.

Still will have fun times here, considering those present :D

But argh, brevity in me posting x-x
Pages: 1 ... 6657 6658 [6659] 6660 6661 ... 8167