Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6634 6635 [6636] 6637 6638 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9443270 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #99525 on: December 06, 2015, 12:18:40 pm »

Worth noting that no major media outlet has reported the story.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99526 on: December 06, 2015, 12:28:10 pm »

I didn't mean to imply that the kids weren't seized, just that it shouldn't be a religious issue.  The parents are accused of physical abuse (along with indoctrination).  I don't reflexively hate Christians, I hate that Christians are reflexively coming to this couple's defense.

If this was an atheist couple, or Islamic, would so many Christians presume their innocence?  It's disgusting because they're *using* Christianity.

And *also* because it's feeding into the myth of persecution of Christians in the first world, but we probably won't see eye to eye there.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99527 on: December 06, 2015, 01:31:16 pm »

I didn't mean to imply that the kids weren't seized, just that it shouldn't be a religious issue.  The parents are accused of physical abuse (along with indoctrination).  I don't reflexively hate Christians, I hate that Christians are reflexively coming to this couple's defense.

If this was an atheist couple, or Islamic, would so many Christians presume their innocence?  It's disgusting because they're *using* Christianity.

And *also* because it's feeding into the myth of persecution of Christians in the first world, but we probably won't see eye to eye there.
I don't believe we will.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #99528 on: December 06, 2015, 01:41:08 pm »

???  does anybody here actually  believe christianity is a persecuted religion in the first world?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99529 on: December 06, 2015, 01:42:45 pm »

Maybe the weird Christians. Like Mormons.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99530 on: December 06, 2015, 01:44:16 pm »

And Jehovan Witnessess. Ridiculed, at least.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #99531 on: December 06, 2015, 01:45:36 pm »

I don't regard not opening the door to would-be-preachers as oppression.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99532 on: December 06, 2015, 01:47:58 pm »

Does anyone here actually believe the government approved media isn't pushing an agenda on you?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99533 on: December 06, 2015, 01:48:18 pm »

Article makes a bit more sense now that I know that Norway has a zero-tolerance policy towards "corporal punishment"... IE spanking and such.

Which I dunno, seems a bit extreme, but explains what happened.  Had nothing to do with their religion, they're just trying to get Christians on their side and paint themselves as victims of religious persecution.

...  Probably because they hope it'll work :/  I am a bit sad for them now, *assuming* the physical punishment was minor.  They're still taking advantage of other Christians but I can't really blame them.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99534 on: December 06, 2015, 01:59:34 pm »

It isn't QUITE a myth, but it isn't exactly true either... like everything in life, its complicated.

Mind you it has a LOT to do with the fact that judging or depicting religion is considered Faux Pas... so it has become taboo (suddenly breaking out in prayer at a restaurant might get you looks :P). Especially in light that it can be seen as indoctrinating people of other religions.

So the shift from religious characters to "don't show religion at all costs" is often seen as prosecution. Especially since whenever religion is brought up it is only to parody/satire/besmirch it.

It isn't something Uniquely Christian anyway... and a lot of the complaints can be summed as "We don't control the world anymore WAAAAH!"

Article makes a bit more sense now that I know that Norway has a zero-tolerance policy towards "corporal punishment"... IE spanking and such.

I bet it is specific types of Corporal Punishment. Since corporal punishment only requires some form of physicality and some people have found that basically tapping a child's hand works even if no pain is transmitted :P
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 02:01:48 pm by Neonivek »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99535 on: December 06, 2015, 02:07:54 pm »

WorldNetDaily (the first article linked,) has a long history of nutjob conspiracy theory "reporting." They point-blank admit to running misinformation in their paper here. If you're going to cite sources, please make sure they're reputable.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #99536 on: December 06, 2015, 02:35:45 pm »

Does anyone here actually believe the government approved media isn't pushing an agenda on you?
they sure are, but part of that agenda is the idea that christians are widely persecuted so i don't really know what to say here

edit: Sorry, I should clarify. This post is a bit tongue-in-cheek - I'm not actually too into the idea that the media is skewing the news to suit a political or cultural agenda so much as to generate the most clickbait. But the people who most strongly disagree with your understanding of Christianity's social status will definitely agree that the media is pushing an agenda, but they'll think it's your agenda.

also edit: and i guess i am of the opinion that your agenda gets more clicks, but it's certainly not the only way to fuel the fires of the modern news cycle and i'll happily admit my preferred perspectives get plenty of biased reporting in their favor too
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 02:42:37 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99537 on: December 06, 2015, 02:45:29 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Way I figure, it's what direction everything is moving in, not what the media portrays the situation as. Regardless of who gets put in office, regardless of what rhetoric they spout, everything keeps moving in the same direction. This would imply that any opposition among major media players is controlled opposition, an easy feat when 94%+ of it is controlled by a mere 6 mega corporations. Anything smaller is "just printing conspiracy theories".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #99538 on: December 06, 2015, 02:49:42 pm »

It might also imply that opposition among major media players doesn't control the outcomes you expect, is the thing. For what it's worth, it seems to me that the direction in question isn't one that's bad for Christians so much as it is good for everyone else, and when it comes to tolerance it's definitely not a zero-sum game. But I don't see persecution of Christians going up, I just see other groups getting screwed less.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99539 on: December 06, 2015, 02:56:41 pm »

It might also imply that opposition among major media players doesn't control the outcomes you expect, is the thing. For what it's worth, it seems to me that the direction in question isn't one that's bad for Christians so much as it is good for everyone else, and when it comes to tolerance it's definitely not a zero-sum game. But I don't see persecution of Christians going up, I just see other groups getting screwed less.
I disagree. Though it may not be written into law, media is pushing a general culture of hostility against Christians. You can talk shit and bash Christians all you want and nobody bats an eye (except the previously mentioned "fundies" and "conspiracy theorists"), but if you make fun of any other religion, you get shouted down, or charged with hate speech or some other phony charge. If you make fun of muslims, you get fired because nobody wants to be blown up or shot. If you make fun of some pagan religion or nature religion, you're a bigot who's persecuting natives. If you criticize an "eastern" religion, you're an unenlightened, close-minded bigot with bad vibes. If you criticize the Jews, the government will shut you down personally.
Pages: 1 ... 6634 6635 [6636] 6637 6638 ... 8167