Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6621 6622 [6623] 6624 6625 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9438535 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #99330 on: November 30, 2015, 11:17:07 pm »

Religion homework?

...Oh goddammit. My persuasive topic relies on souls not existing and thus no afterlife. I'm essentially arguing against religion. Frick.
Glad I could help.
;D
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #99331 on: November 30, 2015, 11:19:02 pm »

my religion homework
* Orange Wizard shills the Religion Discussion thread.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #99332 on: December 01, 2015, 12:12:29 am »

Religion homework?
It's probably the kind where it's handled as a human science, not as bad as it sounds. Questions like "what do people in different parts of the world believe in, and why, and what effects does this have on their cultures?" aren't exactly the indoctrination you'd expect from a subject titled 'Religion'.
By TheBiggerFish's post, their homework looks to be asking someone what their marriage ceremony was like, or something similarly harmless.

Caroline:
I thought 'Sex Ed' was supposed to be about educating students and dismissing common misconceptions, not having them repeated from the teacher's mouth. What use is a school where one doesn't get education?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #99333 on: December 01, 2015, 12:19:51 am »

Caroline:
I thought 'Sex Ed' was supposed to be about educating students and dismissing common misconceptions, not having them repeated from the teacher's mouth. What use is a school where one doesn't get education?
Hahahahahahahaha
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No really, half the time sex ed consists of "okay class if you do sexy times before you're married then you go to hell".
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #99334 on: December 01, 2015, 12:29:12 am »

For me it was "okay class, we know you're going to do sexy times regardless of what we'll say, so here's how to do them safely."

Must be part of the local culture around here, then, to actually be schooled in school. Weird.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #99335 on: December 01, 2015, 01:37:28 am »

why do y'all want to die? Or, logically equivalent: why do y'all not want to live forever?
i'm not sure what your exact thesis is, but in the most general possible terms, i think it's because people see certain states of living as less acceptable than the state of death they expect

i don't believe in an afterlife, so those states of living would have to be irrevocably painful, unrewarding, and hopeless to make the cut, and i have fairly useful, if vague, ideas about what would make the cut, like months of life support drawing out a painful and inevitably terminal illness

but many other people not only have different ideas about what death is like (religion and such), but different thresholds for the sorts of experiences that would make continued living not worthwhile, so that for some people even oblivion is preferable to a lifetime that i might see as kind of shitty but still less terrifying than death
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #99336 on: December 01, 2015, 01:44:49 am »

See, I think of basically any situation being worse than death ridiculous because death is irreversible after a terrifyingly short time; your body gives in to entropy at the moment of death, and then you're gone forever. The vast majority of terminal illnesses are something that are foreseeably curable; death is not, as attempting to cure that after it happens is like trying to piece together a newspaper you've burned. That's not something I can really consider to be less terrifying than anything. Nothing is certain or permanent, except maybe the global tendency toward entropy, which, hey, death happens to be a part of. I figure it's best to delay that, preferably indefinitely.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99337 on: December 01, 2015, 01:51:54 am »

I had a rather interesting Fallout 4-based dream last night, yet I have the last post in the Dream thread and so cannot share it with you all.
Probably for the best- it might contain spoilers for future DLC. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #99338 on: December 01, 2015, 01:55:36 am »

-snip-
eh

that sounds fine in theory but when you've got a terminal cancer diagnosis and they're moving you to palliative care because medical science has thrown up its hands in defeat, i feel like the fact that your odds of recovery are strictly nonzero is kind of irrelevant compared to the number of 0s following the decimal point. at that point, it seems to me that your choice is between "death now" and "death in a coupla weeks or months, but between now and then is nothing but drug-induced blackouts and physical and emotional pain"

i'm dead either way, the only difference is how long i'm aware of it and how much i suffer

in principle, there's not much difference between that and the person who gives a shotgun a blowjob after a bad breakup

oh, trigger warning for suicide by the way

edit: fixed a dumb typo
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 01:57:25 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #99339 on: December 01, 2015, 03:25:24 am »

See, I think of basically any situation being worse than death ridiculous because death is irreversible after a terrifyingly short time; your body gives in to entropy at the moment of death, and then you're gone forever.
Basically my opinion on the matter. Death is final. Life is full of possibilities.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99340 on: December 01, 2015, 06:46:13 am »

I had a rather interesting Fallout 4-based dream last night, yet I have the last post in the Dream thread and so cannot share it with you all.
Probably for the best- it might contain spoilers for future DLC. :P
Poooooooost iiiiiiiiit.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99341 on: December 01, 2015, 08:22:12 am »

Yes, please do. I need to find that thread so I can post my weird dream.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #99342 on: December 01, 2015, 09:26:31 am »

i ate all the pizza yesterday

now i dont have breakfast pizza

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99343 on: December 01, 2015, 09:32:38 am »

I have a persuasive speech to make, but I chose a topic where I truly do not respect the opposing view, in the sense that I'm fairly sure that the only reason to have the opposing view is to never have thought about the problem in the first place.

This is very bad for me, since I feel like I can't make a convincing argument unless I have their convincing argument.

So, those who disagree: why do y'all want to die? Or, logically equivalent: why do y'all not want to live forever?

Reasons people want to die:
1. Alzheimer's / dementia (in which you essentially die mentally and end up a shell with a broken mind)
2. Anything incurable and extremely painful or expensive
3. Because their religion promises them a great afterlife and they believe it
4. Because they're suicidal (you can look into why that is)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #99344 on: December 01, 2015, 09:35:19 am »

5. dont want to live in a world where your values will always be seen as outdated and moronic

6. dont want to have everyone you know dying (doesnt really work if everyone becomes immortal)
Pages: 1 ... 6621 6622 [6623] 6624 6625 ... 8167