Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6611 6612 [6613] 6614 6615 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9435796 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #99180 on: November 25, 2015, 01:27:09 pm »

Cinder confirmed for burnt mute potato.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #99181 on: November 25, 2015, 01:27:15 pm »

Is that a typo, or are you contrasting your burnt fries to our local audible Cinder?

Ninjaedit: Six. Seconds.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99182 on: November 25, 2015, 01:33:39 pm »

Ehm, I used the word cinder with meaning of ash/ coal like stuff. No, I did not mean lots of Cinders appearing on my frying pan and stealing my french fries or french fries turning into lots of Cinders.
If I had seen new zealanders occupying my frying pan and stealing my potato, I would go to terrified thread.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99183 on: November 25, 2015, 01:35:31 pm »

STOP MAKING ME LAUGH!!!!!  ;P
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #99184 on: November 25, 2015, 01:35:51 pm »

I think it was more the use of "inaudible" for "inedible". Most food is inaudible after it's prepared. Except maybe Rice Krispies.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99185 on: November 25, 2015, 02:07:19 pm »

I'd like to tell you guys a little bit about my job. I work the night shift at a hospital from 11:30pm to 7am. I work alone in an office I'm not allowed to leave, I answer the main telephone line for the hospital and I'm the goto guy for the various emergency situations, in which case I blare over the PA about it and get any professionals that need getting. There's also some other systems I monitor, but those are mostly extraneous and they don't come up often. I'm considered an important person that allows the hospital to function the way it does, but to me my job is just boring, lonely, and sedentary. So boring and lonely and sedentary in fact, that I've been given explicit permission from day 1 that I'm allowed to occupy the very frequent and long gaps where literally nothing is happening with whatever entertainment I can drum up myself, so long as it doesn't interfere with my duties. This usually took the form of my 3DS XL, and it has kept my sanity intact for it's entire tenure.

For more than 2 years now that last rule has held true, and I've never ignored my duties. However, my new boss, who has taken over very recently, has decided to completely revoke that rule, and now very explicitly expects me to just do nothing during the long breaks between action, implying in no few words that I'm apparently being paid to just be a lazy videogamer. I can agree that if my job found a way to make my time more productive, that'd be great, but they didn't do that, I've simply been given the expectation to tolerate what is now complete boredom and silence, in an empty room I'm not allowed to leave, for nearly 7.5 hours a night. and that failure to comply is grounds for termination.

I had a meeting my new boss, where I got to explain that this is wholly unreasonable. No human can do that, but she seems to think that I both can and should. I have my phone calls, but it's not nearly enough, there can by 20-60+ minute breaks inbetween each call, and each call lasts less than 30 seconds on average I'd say.

At nearly every stage of my life now, I simply can't escape from being called lazy. I feel this is the end of my job now, cause I'm apparently just a lazy shit to them, and while I perform every action my job requires, I'm still just a lazy shit. If they threaten to fire me, I'll just quit, because apparently they just don't want me around anymore.

And that's a shame, because I know for a fact that my team is already strained, with people constantly being switched around to fill up shifts, because the hospital is naturally a 24/7 operation and my office is no different, it's manned every minute of the day. I hate to leave them and make them even more disadvantaged than they already are, but it's increasingly looking inevitable.

Maybe it'd be healthy for me in the long run, since I adore the idea of normal sleeping hours again, and I could finally have both the energy and the time to pursue a different job. I'm so distraught and conflicted, this whole situation is upsetting and I'm not sure what to do.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 02:09:56 pm by JoshuaFH »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #99186 on: November 25, 2015, 02:13:52 pm »

My best friend is being a lazy butt and dumped a lab report on me without even asking me.

I'm not sure what to do. I think I'll act like an asshole and make it then tell him I haven't.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99187 on: November 25, 2015, 02:16:28 pm »

@Joshua: Bring a book?

Maybe you could time how long you're actually active, too.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99188 on: November 25, 2015, 02:18:22 pm »

Is there a boss above them you can go to and say "Hey, this person is threatening to fire me over an unreasonable demand that in my two years here has never been an issue, what the fuck?"

Usually you don't want to go over your bosses head, but obviously this person is a fuck and if it's a choice between that and losing your income, I'd say toss your boss under the bus since that's what they're doing to you.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99189 on: November 25, 2015, 02:19:56 pm »

Is there a boss above them you can go to and say "Hey, this person is threatening to fire me over an unreasonable demand that in my two years here has never been an issue, what the fuck?"

Usually you don't want to go over your bosses head, but obviously this person is a fuck and if it's a choice between that and losing your income, I'd say toss your boss under the bus since that's what they're doing to you.
This too.
Sigtext

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #99190 on: November 25, 2015, 02:21:36 pm »

-snip-
I know the feeling. Hospital I worked at for a few years got the same way before I wound up leaving, and for similar reasons. If you want my advice, tell 'em you'd be happy to perform more duties in that downtime if they provide them, but that if they're both unwilling to allow you to be productive and unwilling to allow you to enjoy your job, then you're going to have to move on. If you're willing to risk offending them, instead of "I'm going to have to move on", say "I don't think I can trust you to prioritize patient care, and I'm not willing to support that kind of mismanagement any longer than I have to." In any case, start looking for another job now, so you'll have an idea of your alternatives. Also, yeah, if there's a higher-up you think you can trust to be sympathetic, go for it, although my experience is usually that they care even more about this kind of bullshit the further they get from people who do actual work.

If you don't want my advice, then I still feel for you. The boss who insists you should be an automaton is a shitty boss.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99191 on: November 25, 2015, 02:23:08 pm »

If they threaten to fire me, I'll just quit, because apparently they just don't want me around anymore.

If they fire you, you can collect unemployment. If you quit, you can't. Correct? Wouldn't the logical thing to do be to let them fire you?

Or find another way to use the time - for example, reading news on a smartphone, or writing, etc. It's not games, so...
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99192 on: November 25, 2015, 02:32:10 pm »

Start looking for a new job immediately.  Your boss is looking for reasons to get rid of you and he'll have one eventually.  I know from experience.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99193 on: November 25, 2015, 02:38:17 pm »

@Joshua: Bring a book?
Or find another way to use the time - for example, reading news on a smartphone, or writing, etc. It's not games, so...

The wording was more along the lines of "Nothing non-work related period" so it stretched out and ate up all pastimes. What I'm allowed: There is a radio in my office that gets one station that plays static-y Christmas music. I don't think Santa Claus himself would tolerate that.

If they threaten to fire me, I'll just quit, because apparently they just don't want me around anymore.

If they fire you, you can collect unemployment. If you quit, you can't. Correct? Wouldn't the logical thing to do be to let them fire you?

Well, this would actually be my first 'real' job, not counting the small stuff I did in K-zoo, so I didn't actually know there was a benefit to getting fired.Though I don't know how much I'm entitled to since I was hired in as a part-timer, but I'm honestly not sure how it works so yeah.

-snip-
I know the feeling. Hospital I worked at for a few years got the same way before I wound up leaving, and for similar reasons. If you want my advice, tell 'em you'd be happy to perform more duties in that downtime if they provide them, but that if they're both unwilling to allow you to be productive and unwilling to allow you to enjoy your job, then you're going to have to move on. If you're willing to risk offending them, instead of "I'm going to have to move on", say "I don't think I can trust you to prioritize patient care, and I'm not willing to support that kind of mismanagement any longer than I have to." In any case, start looking for another job now, so you'll have an idea of your alternatives. Also, yeah, if there's a higher-up you think you can trust to be sympathetic, go for it, although my experience is usually that they care even more about this kind of bullshit the further they get from people who do actual work.

If you don't want my advice, then I still feel for you. The boss who insists you should be an automaton is a shitty boss.

I appreciate all the advice guys, this is very trying.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 02:40:06 pm by JoshuaFH »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #99194 on: November 25, 2015, 02:49:06 pm »

Yeah, I agree that starting to look for another job sounds like a good idea.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 6611 6612 [6613] 6614 6615 ... 8167