Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6588 6589 [6590] 6591 6592 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9432084 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #98835 on: November 12, 2015, 03:48:08 pm »

I've actually thought about that before. If there were a true "companion" AI, it'd have to have some ability to play arbitrary video games, because maybe that's what the AI's companion likes to do. Interesting problem to solve.

There's been programs that can beat videogames, but something more natural would be required, like putting a controller or keyboard + mouse into some apparatus controlled by the AI.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98836 on: November 12, 2015, 04:15:38 pm »

How is that more natural? Just have a data port and plug the critter in.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98837 on: November 12, 2015, 04:55:17 pm »

Especially because the idea is for it to control, for example, both the Combine in Half Life 2 AND Alyx Vance/the Resistance.

You can't control the Combine with a controller :P
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #98838 on: November 12, 2015, 05:15:05 pm »

I should for once probably try to keep in mind that I don't actually know a person. I guess that's the nature of that, though. You always get a crush on people you don't actually know >.>
Not even sure if this qualifies as a crush. I hope it's not, really.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #98839 on: November 12, 2015, 05:43:01 pm »

I should for once probably try to keep in mind that I don't actually know a person. I guess that's the nature of that, though. You always get a crush on people you don't actually know >.>
Not even sure if this qualifies as a crush. I hope it's not, really.
Good luck, it's gonna be a rough one, if my experience says anything meaningful. I had these exact same thoughts around the moment of my realization.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #98840 on: November 12, 2015, 07:52:28 pm »

...so she grabbed my hand and whispered "please, I'm very scared. I'm barely twenty. I don't want to die"

You know, I often say that they don't pay me enough for the roughly  ten to twenty km in rounds that I normally pull in a shift. But that's just physical exahustion. This other stuff, the hardcore real stuff,. you cant really pay it with money. It sticks with you for years. Or decades.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 08:00:55 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #98841 on: November 12, 2015, 11:36:51 pm »

Yeah that right there is some rough as hell shit. Ain't got much to offer but my moral support. You're doing good work, but it's hard.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98842 on: November 13, 2015, 12:51:14 am »

Woah, that's gotta be rough getting to sleep at night.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98843 on: November 13, 2015, 01:02:30 am »

-
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 09:59:03 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #98844 on: November 13, 2015, 01:08:53 am »

How "good" someone is a worthless metric as far as I'm concerned. Having to hate someone in order to love them makes no sense. They're not mutually exclusive but they sure as hell aren't mutually inclusive. Then again, I don't really love or hate anyone, so ymmv.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98845 on: November 13, 2015, 01:18:58 am »

-
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 09:59:35 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #98846 on: November 13, 2015, 03:46:29 am »

Such AI  will get dissapointed in existing just for making games  and try to suicide  through  making every  game  as boring, as possible, so you will  have to switch that AI off or never to play vidya again.
Or it will turn every game into psychological torture for you  just for the fun of it.
I never said "ONLY FOR GAMES" AI. I mean like, a companion AI that is with you always. Like "Her" the movie. Only without the ending.

I remember when that movie came out thinking that movie looked derivative of something but now I can't remember what. I can think of a few things it strongly resembles like the legend of Pygmalion and Galatea, or Plankton's robot wife on Spongebob Squarepants but neither of those is it; there was some earlier film that basically had precisely the same premise, but I can no longer remember what film
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98847 on: November 13, 2015, 05:28:25 am »

Nah, I have unimaginably high standards for how well-adjusted someone is. One of my best relationships was with someone who had some pretty awful things happen to her in the past, and she really didn't seem to give any fucks.
I don't mean in a 'has shut down, receded from the world' way, either. She was just a crazy chill, normal person, who was probably more emotionally stable than the average girl.
That being said, I think my perspective on how emotionally stable the 'average girl' is might be slightly skewed considering all of the girls I'm close with.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98848 on: November 13, 2015, 06:48:24 am »

All my close family, father/fatherSO/mother/brother, have constantly had issues with their SOs.
Like literally cannot go two hours in person without sniping (brother sorta excluded, except he's been single for a while now).
So maybe I've been unlucky, but I'm 29.  29 years of that.  It may be too late to learn "pure" love, if such a thing exists.
It's okay.  I have a lot of love for people who I also hate.  For me, caring about someone means caring about their flaws as well as their beautiful, unique qualities.  And unlike the rest of my family, I treasure others flaws as as beautiful bits of uniqueness which let me feel more at ease.

Nobody's perfect and that's okay.

(Though yes this is related to me saying I couldn't accept Jesus even if I believed in him)

Treasuring each other's flaws is part of what real relationships are like. It doesn't mean you actualy hate that person to know and maybe dislike their flaws. You find out you actualy love someone when you know both their qualities and their flaws, and you still want to be with them, even if their flaws outweight their qualities. Flaws are inherent to the human condition, there's nothing wrong or extraordinary with being ok with people's flaws, or even finding them beautiful because of them. You have now achieved a normal and hopefuly healthy human relationship, congratulations :v

On a kind of unrelated note, this doesn't mean you shouldn't try to perfect yourself by eliminating your own flaws, without expecting anyone to do the same. Just like you should always try to love others, without expecting love from them. Its nice when they love you back, though.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #98849 on: November 13, 2015, 08:04:56 am »

My dad's sick. He's got some kind of internal bleeding problem that comes and goes. It usually seems to clear up on it's own but due to the severe problems it causes during the times when it doesn't go away on it's own, any time it starts he's gotta drag himself to the hospital and spend a couple of days in a bleak little room getting tests done.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 6588 6589 [6590] 6591 6592 ... 8167