Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6578 6579 [6580] 6581 6582 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9440889 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #98685 on: November 09, 2015, 04:00:55 am »

To take the Hitler analogy further, just imagine the cane toads as a group of Neo-Nazis squatting in your yard, and the native species they kill as Jews.

Nobody want Nazis in their yard except Nazis.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #98686 on: November 09, 2015, 04:03:32 am »

The "without it's predator" part seems salient. I really do think the Simpsons solution has the best long-term prospects.

Like I said before, unless they can be entirely eradicated, which is a pipe dream, efforts to control their population will likely just delay the finding of a new equilibrium.
Wikipedia.

The "Simpsons solution" might not even be possible due to climate differences; one would have to install an entire new ecosystem, which might require extensive genetic manipulation (whether traditional or modern) to make every single species work in the different area. Beyond that, the loss of biodiversity is generally a bad thing in the long term.

It's the difference between repairing a slightly damaged car and buying a new one. In the same analogy, it might be better to just replace a completely totaled one, but a similar one is not always available. Or one might not afford it. Or maybe the car hasn't been invented yet.

Basically, if we start messing with nature, we might find that we must do so to survive. It's probably best we just try and repair any ecological damage and only mess with it as much as we have to, until when we actually have the technology to play God and both eat and have our cake.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98687 on: November 09, 2015, 05:46:21 am »

Plus, Australia as a closed circuit has actually resulted in a lot of beautiful (Or if not beautiful, exotic, or unique, and therefore prized) species.
Which your 'Enforced Darwinism' kills.

Sure, one day eventually we'll have a worldwide beige ecosystem. But that, to me, is a boring world to live in.

Also yeah, mess aside, cold is a much better way to go than squashing.
Heck, even decapitation is apparently painful.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #98688 on: November 09, 2015, 06:09:26 am »

We could try decapitating Bohandas and ask him :P
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #98689 on: November 09, 2015, 08:19:41 am »

I don't think that he'd have a head for such things, really.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98690 on: November 09, 2015, 08:24:27 am »

Please don't, or we'll be heading towards another pun-war.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #98691 on: November 09, 2015, 10:52:05 am »

Only good bookstores around the area is the ones at the mall. At the mall on Sundays there's always couples holding hands. I feel like that will never happen for me so I get sad whenever I see that. Being single and having a pessimistic outlook on it sucks.
i feel you

dont forget that there are other people out there, even when the sad thread fills up with le pun meem or "wo im so hi rite now o-o"

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98692 on: November 09, 2015, 11:09:16 am »

dont forget that there are other people out there even when "wo im so hi rite now o-o"
Pretty sure you have to use capitals and apostrophes in order to be elitist about spelling.
Unless punmeisters are the elites, which would make you... niche-ist. Or whatever.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 11:10:50 am by Tack »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #98693 on: November 09, 2015, 12:05:54 pm »

dont forget that there are other people out there even when "wo im so hi rite now o-o"
Pretty sure you have to use capitals and apostrophes in order to be elitist about spelling.
Unless punmeisters are the elites, which would make you... niche-ist. Or whatever.
im not even being elitist about spelling, just peeved about happy thread-tier bs clogging up the sad thread

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #98694 on: November 09, 2015, 12:25:18 pm »

Every single effort to do something I enjoy today is going completely tits-up thus far.
Try going tits-up and see how that goes. titception
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #98695 on: November 09, 2015, 12:42:18 pm »

To take the Hitler analogy further, just imagine the cane toads as a group of Neo-Nazis squatting in your yard, and the native species they kill as Jews.

Nobody want Nazis in their yard except Nazis.

If you're willing to risk horrible death by carbon monoxide poisoning, you could always shut the toads into a box or bucket (something with high walls they can't easily escape from), cover the top with a wet towel, and run a hose from a running car's exhaust pipe into the container. I heard that sometimes folks kill stray unwanted animals that way.

I like how you all can't agree on whether the toads are the nazis or the jews
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98696 on: November 09, 2015, 12:57:25 pm »

Hey, Nazis didn't invent the use of gas chambers in ethnic cleansing - that honor goes to the French. During the Napoleonic Era, they tried to suppress a slave uprising in Haiti - liberté, égalité, fraternité my ass - and to that end shoved lots of black people into the holds of some ships they had. Before closing the hatches, they chucked some burning sulfur in there. Turns out that sulfur dioxide does nasty things to your lungs.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98697 on: November 09, 2015, 01:02:35 pm »

Yep germans were first, who industrialised gasing people.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #98698 on: November 09, 2015, 02:38:55 pm »

Also yeah, mess aside, cold is a much better way to go than squashing.
Heck, even decapitation is apparently painful.

I said to smash their heads in, not cut them off
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98699 on: November 09, 2015, 02:59:44 pm »

Are they small enough for a BB gun to kill them? If they're too disgusting/poisonous (?) to handle but big enough to have a hope of hitting, shooting them and collecting them so scavengers don't eat them is how I'd do it.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 6578 6579 [6580] 6581 6582 ... 8167