Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6577 6578 [6579] 6580 6581 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9440958 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #98670 on: November 09, 2015, 02:41:34 am »

Darn, ninja'd.

1. Because scientists said so.
2. Logically, they're cold blooded. By the time they died they'd be too dumb and sleepy to realize it was happening.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #98671 on: November 09, 2015, 02:42:39 am »

It's also a lot less disgusting than whacking them with a shovel.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #98672 on: November 09, 2015, 02:45:25 am »

Also more humane than exploding them with a bicycle pump.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98673 on: November 09, 2015, 02:46:59 am »

Or playing golf with them
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98674 on: November 09, 2015, 02:49:09 am »

If you're willing to risk horrible death by carbon monoxide poisoning, you could always shut the toads into a box or bucket (something with high walls they can't easily escape from), cover the top with a wet towel, and run a hose from a running car's exhaust pipe into the container. I heard that sometimes folks kill stray unwanted animals that way.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #98675 on: November 09, 2015, 02:57:50 am »

You could go the natural way and try introducing some poison-resistant snakes. Then your pool plot of land would be full of bigger, even-harder-to-kill critters. Toad problem solved! :P

What's that? Snake problem? You could go the natural way and try introducing some snake-eating vultures. Then your pool plot of land general vicinity would be full of bigger, even-harder-to-kill critters. Snake problem solved! :P

Vulture problem? You could go the natural way and try introducing some vulture-scaring wasps. Then your pool plot of land general vicinity everything would be full of smaller, even nastier critters. Vulture problem solved! :P

Wasp problem? You could go the natural way and try introducing some wasp-eating, poisonous toads. Then your pool plot of land general vicinity everything pool would be full of bigger, even-harder-to-kill critters. Wasp problem solved! :P
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 03:02:08 am by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #98676 on: November 09, 2015, 03:03:32 am »

You could go the natural way and try introducing some poison-resistant snakes. Then your pool plot of land would be full of bigger, even-harder-to-kill critters. Toad problem solved! :P

What's that? Snake problem? You could go the natural way and try introducing some snake-eating vultures. Then your pool plot of land general vicinity would be full of bigger, even-harder-to-kill critters. Snake problem solved! :P

Vulture problem? You could go the natural way and try introducing some vulture-scaring wasps. Then your pool plot of land general vicinity everything would be full of smaller, even nastier critters. Vulture problem solved! :P

Wasp problem? You could go the natural way and try introducing some wasp-eating, poisonous toads. Then your pool plot of land general vicinity everything pool would be full of bigger, even-harder-to-kill critters. Wasp problem solved! :P

Sarcastic or not that's got the shape of a viable long-term solution

More viable than people constantly intervening at any rate
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98677 on: November 09, 2015, 03:04:48 am »

Yeah, I've seen that episode of the Simpsons.

That being said none of these "suggestions" are that helpful, much as you guys are awesome.
The damage is done, I'm just having trouble dealing with my conscience about it.
Or, more specifically, the lack of conscience from my housemate.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98678 on: November 09, 2015, 03:07:37 am »

If you're willing to risk horrible death by carbon monoxide poisoning, you could always shut the toads into a box or bucket (something with high walls they can't easily escape from), cover the top with a wet towel, and run a hose from a running car's exhaust pipe into the container. I heard that sometimes folks kill stray unwanted animals that way.

How can it be both a horrible way to die and a humane way to kill somehing.

I think all of you are just squeamish and it has nothing whatsoever to do with being humane.

It's the same reason why I don't swat flies unless I absolutely have to; it's got nothing to do with being nice to the flies and everything to do with not getting fly guts on my hands and on my property.

EDIT:
When you get the chance, I want you all to take a look at the classic Star Trek episode A Taste of Armageddon
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 03:19:23 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98679 on: November 09, 2015, 03:11:12 am »

I still don't see how an animal that isn't in your house or damaging it's exterior is a concern though.

EDIT:
Seriously. Wu wei. The bigger problem is the compulsion to intervene. Full eradication of most introduced pests is a pipe dream, so all partial eradication does is increase the time it takes nature to reach a new equilibrium.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 03:15:54 am by Bohandas »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #98680 on: November 09, 2015, 03:17:40 am »

You don't seem to understand just how disgusting and destructive cane toads are.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98681 on: November 09, 2015, 03:22:37 am »

You don't seem to understand just how disgusting and destructive cane toads are.
It may be a perspective issue. I live in a well constructed house with a good internet connection and cable tv, so nothing's coming in and I'm not going out. I suppose if you had a lack of modern amenities you might have business outside, but we're clearly all communicating over the internet.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #98682 on: November 09, 2015, 03:25:19 am »

I still don't see how an animal that isn't in your house or damaging it's exterior is a concern though.
Take another animal that eats the same things and plus pests that eat crops. The foreign species eats the food off the second one's plate, reducing their amount in nature. The pest thrives without its predator, and eats all the crops it can. And then a grocer in a faraway town suddenly raises the prices of grain products as there is less supply.

The thing about ecology (the science, not the political cause) is that everything affects everything. A single introduced species can be a huge spanner in the works, affecting humans just as well as the ecosystem.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #98683 on: November 09, 2015, 03:31:29 am »

Incidentally, most people do have to go outside. Work, shopping, gardening - these are all things that need to be done. Some people also have children, and pets, both of which often like to go outside. Cane toads are dangerous to children and pets, and wreak havoc on the local ecosystem. People who care about such things will be compelled to remove the cane toads.
If you literally never have to leave the house and don't care about your neighbours, or your environment, then you probably could, in good conscience, ignore the toads. But that is a very rare case.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98684 on: November 09, 2015, 03:38:19 am »

Take another animal that eats the same things and plus pests that eat crops. The foreign species eats the food off the second one's plate, reducing their amount in nature. The pest thrives without its predator, and eats all the crops it can. And then a grocer in a faraway town suddenly raises the prices of grain products as there is less supply.

The thing about ecology (the science, not the political cause) is that everything affects everything. A single introduced species can be a huge spanner in the works, affecting humans just as well as the ecosystem.

The "without it's predator" part seems salient. I really do think the Simpsons solution has the best long-term prospects.

Incidentally, most people do have to go outside. Work, shopping, gardening - these are all things that need to be done. Some people also have children, and pets, both of which often like to go outside. Cane toads are dangerous to children and pets, and wreak havoc on the local ecosystem. People who care about such things will be compelled to remove the cane toads.
If you literally never have to leave the house and don't care about your neighbours, or your environment, then you probably could, in good conscience, ignore the toads. But that is a very rare case.

Unless I'm thinking of something else this thing's damage has for the most part already been done.

Also, I don't walk anywhere if I can help it.

Or playing golf with them

Depends on how you hit them. Hit in the head it should stun them

Like I said before, unless they can be entirely eradicated, which is a pipe dream, efforts to control their population will likely just delay the finding of a new equilibrium.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 03:42:13 am by Bohandas »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 6577 6578 [6579] 6580 6581 ... 8167