Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6563 6564 [6565] 6566 6567 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9448044 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #98460 on: November 01, 2015, 04:52:56 am »

Well if it makes you feel any better, most people who "have loads of game ideas" can't program worth shit. They can just draw up nice sprite sheets and flowcharts.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98461 on: November 01, 2015, 06:33:09 am »

Yeah, unfortunately, the ideas themselves are worthless on their own; unless you cab turn those into proper useful material like scripts, art and code...

Everyone has ideas. Unless you're willing to pay you need to supply more than that.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #98462 on: November 01, 2015, 07:00:31 am »

And one person can have all the talent in one area, so they get a lot of that done... but the game never gets done, because there's a lot to do in every area if you're making a game of any notable size. A game needs music, sound effects, art, UI design, writing and programming, and a whole host of other things. A person that's good at one of those usually isn't so great at all of the other full-time jobs involved in making a game.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 07:04:17 am by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #98463 on: November 01, 2015, 07:31:43 am »

I've got a big ol list of game ideas lying around that I'll never finish. I can't help but think I'd be better working with someone else who can do the art, and design, and basically everything except the easy programming bits.

If you ask me, you should make one of those games, use placeholder art for everything, then ask someone to help then. It's a lot easier to volunteer help if you know the product WILL be finished and/or if that person thinks the game is worth playing and wants to improve it.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #98464 on: November 01, 2015, 08:26:05 am »

A game needs music, sound effects, art, UI design, writing and programming, and a whole host of other things.
Fixed~ There's plenty of games out there that get played that have no sound and placeholder/ascii/no (in the case of text-based games) graphics. Sound especially... personally play almost every game muted, and m'not exactly alone in that.

And even the rest of it is conditional to computer games. Other sorts don't require any of that, except maybe the UI design (see, ferex, rock-paper-scissors). All a game really needs is some sort of system, and even that can be hella' loose.

Though yeah, echo skyru. The programming bits are anything but easy to the vast majority of people, and idea/art people are usually kinda' trivial to find if you actually having the coding chops to build something. Gods know if programming was easy instead of literally headache inducing I'd have already spat out any dozen things by now, game wise :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #98465 on: November 01, 2015, 09:55:21 am »

No matter how much I improve, my art will never be good enough for others.
Believe it or not, even the simplest art is usually good enough for others. What matters is whether it's good enough for yourself. And it eventually will be if you keep practising, as your skill improves and expectations become more realistic due to experience. If you feel something you made is inadequate, try to find what exactly it is that makes it so, and focus your practice on that.

It can actually be good you're harsh on yourself, because that means you want to become better. There are artists in various arts who think they're so good they don't need to try and become better. They don't see the flaws in their work, so how could they fix them?

Equally important to perseverance is the ability to enjoy the thing. If you don't enjoy making art itself, rather than just loathing your products, it's completely fine to give it up and find a hobby you like.
* Tiruin points up.
What this guy said :D
When in a depressive or sad mood--pinpoint where your sads are referring to! Staying in the 'over/generalizing' area won't help anyone at all, mostly yourself. So when you begin using general ideas in any self-analytical statement, get to the specifics with yourself :3

Because I'm totally sure these "others" aren't us at all! I'm bloody inspired by your art! @_@

Sad:
Been depressed lately.
With not-that-conducive-to-productive-living thoughts ._.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #98466 on: November 01, 2015, 10:03:33 am »

I've got a big ol list of game ideas lying around that I'll never finish. I can't help but think I'd be better working with someone else who can do the art, and design, and basically everything except the easy programming bits.
Hey, I can't even finish planning the plot outline for a tabletop RPG campaign (as in, several times in a row), you don't have it so bad :P
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #98467 on: November 01, 2015, 10:50:20 am »

Lost a clay tarantula I made in high school when my father slammed a door last night. He was being yelled at from the couch (mom) while trying to get the dogs to go outside, there was a huge argument. He only managed to get one out, the puppy snuck back in and hid behind the couch where she's always safe from mean people making her listen. Guess who it was that crapped on the floor last night? The puppy who thinks she doesn't have to go out if mommy protects her is my guess.

I'm trying to glue my spider back together now. A lot of little bits got completely pulverized it seems.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #98468 on: November 01, 2015, 10:59:13 am »

I have so much god damn homework all the god damn time and it's driving me crazy and I gotta have those pops and I gotta do a thing about whether Alexander The Great was a hero or a villain and and and AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #98469 on: November 01, 2015, 11:55:39 am »

time to get practicing

or choose your preferred language and libraries or whatever
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #98470 on: November 01, 2015, 01:23:00 pm »

Neighbours are screaming at each other. Heard a car-related sound earlier, one of them might have hit a dog. I wish they would stop. It's making me feel sick.

Edit: actually a car accident in the intersection right outside the house. Someone shot through a stop street and got broadsided. At least it wasn't a dog getting hit.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 01:27:17 pm by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98471 on: November 01, 2015, 01:30:54 pm »

Something similar happened around my house a few nights ago. I don't know if it was the neighbors across the street(who once backed into my mom's vehicle), or my stepdad's idiot son and the person giving him a ride, but I hear tires squealing several times around the block, followed by an impact.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #98472 on: November 01, 2015, 01:34:42 pm »

Something similar happened around my house a few nights ago. I don't know if it was the neighbors across the street(who once backed into my mom's vehicle), or my stepdad's idiot son and the person giving him a ride, but I hear tires squealing several times around the block, followed by an impact.

This used to happen a lot during my thankfully relatively brief stint in an ex-township (on one memorable instance, someone cleaned out three metres of wall with their car), not happy to have it back. Luckily my dad seems to have finally got hold of the cops and I hear a siren.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #98473 on: November 01, 2015, 05:32:21 pm »

I wish it was socially acceptable to ask for "god damn peace and quiet" for Christmas. If it's not somebody in your house, it's the neighbor's house ::)
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98474 on: November 01, 2015, 05:39:54 pm »

Ask for "expensive headphones" instead. You'll get your peace and quiet, and a good set of headphones on top of it :v
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 6563 6564 [6565] 6566 6567 ... 8167