Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6556 6557 [6558] 6559 6560 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9450300 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #98355 on: October 29, 2015, 03:47:22 pm »

If it's any comfort, your father is hardly alone in that regard. Technology is bewildering to older people. I know, because it's becoming bewildering to me. Give me another two decades and I'll be yelling at my TV and hurting its feelings (brought to you by eMotion 4.1 for HoloTV!)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98356 on: October 29, 2015, 03:53:47 pm »

I've actually met quite a few old people who can get around new technology easily. The biggest problems come from the fact that a great many people stop being willing to learn, and let their pride get in the way. It does get harder because your brain will 'set', but the biggest cause of it is the fact that it takes a lot more effort to accept new ideas as you age. The ones I know who get by more easily are the ones who are willing to put that energy in.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #98357 on: October 29, 2015, 04:00:34 pm »

[Nods] And, thank you.

My complaint isn't that he didn't understand it and was confused by it. It was, as the first sentence said, that he placed 0 importance on what I was saying.

He completely wrote me off. <---- This right here is why I am complaining and why I demand a cookie and a hug.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #98358 on: October 29, 2015, 04:13:02 pm »

* IronTomato puts cookie in Truean's mouth

* IronTomato squeezes Truean
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 04:48:08 pm by IronTomato »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #98359 on: October 29, 2015, 04:15:52 pm »

Heard someone use the word "gay" to insult someone else in class today. I guy I know is a wicked nice person immediately started chewing them out, and explaining everything they already should have known about why you're fucking not supposed to do that. The girl immediately ignored all of the valid arguments he made and responded by saying some bullshit about how everyone does it and nobody thinks it's bad, therefore it's alright.

Sounds like typical high schooler behavior. "Everyone else is jumping off a bridge, so it's cool for me to do."
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #98360 on: October 29, 2015, 04:20:17 pm »

Didn't we have a 50-page thread about old people and technology? I remember because I created it and then promptly stopped posting in it or reading it :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98361 on: October 29, 2015, 04:26:23 pm »

"Everyone else is jumping off a bridge, so it's cool for me to do."
Well in the example jumping might be justified. If the bridge is on fire or blowing up or something. Can't think of much else that would cause everyone to want to jump off a bridge.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #98362 on: October 29, 2015, 04:26:33 pm »

This had very little to do with old people and technology and more to do with me feeling ignored. Either way....

Thank you for the hug and cookie.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #98363 on: October 29, 2015, 04:27:58 pm »

Heard someone use the word "gay" to insult someone else in class today. I guy I know is a wicked nice person immediately started chewing them out, and explaining everything they already should have known about why you're fucking not supposed to do that. The girl immediately ignored all of the valid arguments he made and responded by saying some bullshit about how everyone does it and nobody thinks it's bad, therefore it's alright.

Sounds like typical high schooler behavior. "Everyone else is jumping off a bridge, so it's cool for me to do."

It's been an insult for ages. It's even endorsed by popular tv culture! "Huh, gaaaaay."

But nah. It's been used by and against me since childhood. I stopped using it, though, sometime after P7. ('Round about age 11.)
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #98364 on: October 29, 2015, 04:33:45 pm »

"Everyone else is jumping off a bridge, so it's cool for me to do."
Well in the example jumping might be justified. If the bridge is on fire or blowing up or something. Can't think of much else that would cause everyone to want to jump off a bridge.
I'm sure you got what I meant.

It's been an insult for ages. It's even endorsed by popular tv culture! "Huh, gaaaaay."

But nah. It's been used by and against me since childhood. I stopped using it, though, sometime after P7. ('Round about age 11.)
I was referring less to the use of "gay"as an insult and more about the mentality of doing what everyone else does justifies your actions.

I know I just basically said it's a thing in high school, but now that I think about it it's an essential part of human culture. Norms of society are defined by what the majority of people do and think is ok to do because a majority does it.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98365 on: October 29, 2015, 05:32:04 pm »

@Truean
Psh, old people ignoring people is old news, specially parents, but thats just their thing after you (and they) get old. This happens with me fairly often with my dad and his wifi. Several devices he uses depend on a wireless hub, and when something goes wrong and he has to update the software on said devices, he keeps somehow deleting the password info and forgets the very password he himself set up for it. Cue me having to reset the entire network to stablish a new password EVERY DAMN TIME.

I seem to have infinite chocolate I could share, but sadly my throwing arm doesn't have intercontinental launch power just yet, so please accept my affectionate but fictional chocolate truffle :v
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #98366 on: October 29, 2015, 05:37:47 pm »

If it's any comfort, your father is hardly alone in that regard. Technology is bewildering to older people. I know, because it's becoming bewildering to me. Give me another two decades and I'll be yelling at my TV and hurting its feelings (brought to you by eMotion 4.1 for HoloTV!)

And not so old. My former boss, who is fifty-something, and whom in other respects is an admittedly intelligent man (kind of famous in his field, in fact), once left me speechless when he declared that he was going to buy a Windows cellphone, because otherwise "it wouldn't connect to his windows PC".
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #98367 on: October 29, 2015, 07:21:22 pm »

My dad is pretty much like that too. Combined with my rather short temper it usually leads to some shouting before I just quit and leave in frustration. I probably shouldn't but there's so many things about him that I see in myself and absolutely detest to the point that I really need to fight with myself to not be angry about it because it's not his fault, he's just like that, and compared to most he's great, I just picked up most of his bad stuff with little of the good stuff thrown in :/

As far as current sads go. Having trouble sleeping again, a couple of reasons for that, none good. Also my back hurts and I still haven't started on the excercises that would fix that. What else, oh my eating habits are getting worse too now, only ate once today, I just don't really feel like doing much of it even though I know it's a vicious cycle that keeps me drained of energy. But you need energy to snap out of it, which you can't get because you're in a vicious cycle that keeps you drained of energy :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98368 on: October 29, 2015, 07:22:55 pm »

Heard someone use the word "gay" to insult someone else in class today.

*shrug.
I do that. Or more specifically, to lament lame situations.

But for some reason, the word 'gay' is segregated in my mind into the two meanings. Like a dictionary with:
Gay:
1. (Noun) Homosexual
2. (Adjective) Bad, Stupid
3. (Old-timeytalk) Carefree, happy

Just because you can use one or the other, doesn't mean the former is the latter.

Which... probably isn't an excuse on my part.
I guess it's similar to how 'Fuck' is an exclamation of things going wrong, and also a sexual act.
If people actually confused the two, you'd get some very unwanted attention whenever you stubbed your toe.
For specificity of example, 'Fuck Me'. In Australia, anyway, any random who bangs their thumb with a hammer is likely to say it. Nobody, however, is likely to take it as a proposition.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 07:25:24 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98369 on: October 29, 2015, 08:08:49 pm »

Not really a "sad", more of an "annoyed".

I still haven't got around to purchasing a spare set of sheets/pillowcases for my bed. Looks like I'll just have to wash and dry the current ones today and put them back on tonight. And cram all the rubbish lying around my room into the cupboard or something... hopefully this attempt at tidying up is more successful than my last one.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 6556 6557 [6558] 6559 6560 ... 8167