Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6555 6556 [6557] 6558 6559 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9451776 times)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #98340 on: October 29, 2015, 09:15:57 am »

So TB is ranked with AIDS as the world's most deadly infectious disease. This is a disease that can be cured. This is a disease that has a vaccine*. This is something anti-vaxxers would help spread, a movement built entirely on a falsehood.

*The vaccine is only 70-80% effective, but even so...

Hordes of unvaccinated Syrians marching through Europe is going to mean big business for epidemiologists.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98341 on: October 29, 2015, 10:21:23 am »

I guess the brain is just a heart with more cunning.
Just had my lovable housemate do something inconsiderate because of the feelings.
I changed my mind on love so fast I got metaphorical whiplash.

I have no idea why he still insists on living with an ex he still loves.
Oh wait. I know exactly why. Can't even fault him his dire lack of self-control either.

But I do take offense at his cheerful ignorance, when I get up him for something and he gives me that stare like 'Um, I'm bending over backwards for this girl, so naturally you should too'.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98342 on: October 29, 2015, 11:14:04 am »

So TB is ranked with AIDS as the world's most deadly infectious disease. This is a disease that can be cured. This is a disease that has a vaccine*. This is something anti-vaxxers would help spread, a movement built entirely on a falsehood.

I don't even know how the falsehood spread so far. Basic common sense - not even biology - tells you the way of it. If you get a Vaccine, e.g. for Smallpox, and autism is not caused by Smallpox, then the Vaccine won't cause autism.
BUT SCARY CHEMICALS LIKE DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE! IF IT SOUNDS SCARY IT MUST BE BAD!
OXYGEN IS DANGEROUS, YO

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98343 on: October 29, 2015, 11:23:15 am »

I don't even know how the falsehood spread so far. Basic common sense - not even biology - tells you the way of it. If you get a Vaccine, e.g. for Smallpox, and autism is not caused by Smallpox, then the Vaccine won't cause autism.

To be fair to the wrong, I think it's not the virus itself which is supposed to cause autism.  It's the other contents of the vaccine, filler and byproduct stuff.  Mercury, supposedly.

It's still hogwash, there's very little evidence to support the idea.  And, coldly, it doesn't matter.  As Penn and Teller illustrated, even if the anti-vaccers are totally right (so the medical community in general is somehow dead wrong), vaccines still save far more lives than they supposedly harm with autism.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfdZTZQvuCo
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #98344 on: October 29, 2015, 11:32:20 am »

BUT SCARY CHEMICALS LIKE DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE! IF IT SOUNDS SCARY IT MUST BE BAD!
OXYGEN IS DANGEROUS, YO
It actually kinda is. To hypothetical aliens, us requiring and carrying oxygen in our blood is not too far removed from xenomorphs' acid blood - it rusts metals, it is a crucial component for combustion, it kills some organisms that don't use it for their own purposes, and even for us, oxygen can fuck yo' shit up in certain situations. A good part of your immune system's first line of defense uses oxygen-based weaponry for that explicit reason.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #98345 on: October 29, 2015, 11:50:50 am »

To be fair to the wrong, I think it's not the virus itself which is supposed to cause autism.  It's the other contents of the vaccine, filler and byproduct stuff.  Mercury, supposedly.

It's still hogwash, there's very little evidence to support the idea.  And, coldly, it doesn't matter.  As Penn and Teller illustrated, even if the anti-vaccers are totally right (so the medical community in general is somehow dead wrong), vaccines still save far more lives than they supposedly harm with autism.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfdZTZQvuCo

Yes, but they don't see it rationally when it's their little bundle of joy you're sticking a needle full of autism into. The entire thing is built on hysteria.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #98346 on: October 29, 2015, 11:53:35 am »

Worth mentioning that the article does state that most of those cases are in China, India, Indonesia, Nigeria and Pakistan. Those aren't places where it's necessarily going to be a threat because of anti-vaxxers, but probably more because of limited treatment and vaccine options. China for instance has the highest rate of multiple drug resistant tuberculosis cases in the world.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #98347 on: October 29, 2015, 11:54:08 am »

still feeling shitty about rejection :x

this is sort of the reason why i promised myself not to get as involved in this as last time but i did >.>

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98348 on: October 29, 2015, 01:21:26 pm »

Try asking sooner next time.

Also a (long-term) comfort for you: It gets easier after the first proper relationship/after you first get laid. I don't know why, but it does.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #98349 on: October 29, 2015, 01:54:15 pm »

Heard someone use the word "gay" to insult someone else in class today. I guy I know is a wicked nice person immediately started chewing them out, and explaining everything they already should have known about why you're fucking not supposed to do that. The girl immediately ignored all of the valid arguments he made and responded by saying some bullshit about how everyone does it and nobody thinks it's bad, therefore it's alright.

This is what the place I live is like. People act like this is normal. People use slurs and generally spew hate, and when anyone tries to say anything about it they immediately get shit from all the stupid idiots about how they're being, like, totally oversensitive, and they're acting like a girl and whatever. Even my parents do it but I can't vent about that because I know people here will just respond by telling me all about how the minute I turn 18 I'll obviously be financially able to move somewhere else and completely disown my parents, because that's totally not a fucking evil thing to do.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #98350 on: October 29, 2015, 02:57:38 pm »

Try asking sooner next time.

Also a (long-term) comfort for you: It gets easier after the first proper relationship/after you first get laid. I don't know why, but it does.
idk, i feel like this was about right, if a week or two late :x

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #98351 on: October 29, 2015, 03:00:14 pm »

Heard someone use the word "gay" to insult someone else in class today. I guy I know is a wicked nice person immediately started chewing them out, and explaining everything they already should have known about why you're fucking not supposed to do that. The girl immediately ignored all of the valid arguments he made and responded by saying some bullshit about how everyone does it and nobody thinks it's bad, therefore it's alright.

This is what the place I live is like. People act like this is normal. People use slurs and generally spew hate, and when anyone tries to say anything about it they immediately get shit from all the stupid idiots about how they're being, like, totally oversensitive, and they're acting like a girl and whatever. Even my parents do it but I can't vent about that because I know people here will just respond by telling me all about how the minute I turn 18 I'll obviously be financially able to move somewhere else and completely disown my parents, because that's totally not a fucking evil thing to do.

No, it's more that you just have to learn to grit your teeth and ignore it when it comes to parents/family.
My grandfather was one of the nicest, kindest, most generous people you'd ever meet. He was also raised in the rural south in the 1920's and 30's. So racism wasn't so much a conscious decision as it was an inseparable part of his worldview. I spent probably 15-20 years arguing with him about it, until finally deciding that you can't teach an old dog new tricks and just avoided the subject.

Would have been different if he was an active, hostile racist. But he detested the KKK and people like that. He wasn't a supremacist, he just thought they should live with "their kind" and we should live with ours. I'm sure my future grandchildren will probably look at me the same way when I have negative feelings about their polymarriage to a cluster of biomechanical AIs or their decision to upload themselves into the Internet.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98352 on: October 29, 2015, 03:06:43 pm »

That's the thing about that idea that people shift more to conservative politics as they get older. There's not a whole lot of good evidence for that happening. The people with more conservative views almost always believe the same things they grew up with, so it's more that culture itself has shifted.

But it makes conservatives feel good to believe that the rest of us will "grow out" of being liberal minded. Supposedly Winston Churchill uttered this quote:

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.”

Unfortunately, "Liberal" and "Conservative" only have those implied meanings in America. In England "Liberal" was for economic liberals (free trade), and Conservatives are religious conservatives / monarchists. And also unfortunately for the above meme, Churchill WAS a member of the Conservative Party, but he left them to join the UK's Liberal Party because the Conservatives didn't support free trade.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 03:23:00 pm by Reelya »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98353 on: October 29, 2015, 03:19:34 pm »

he just thought they should live with "their kind" and we should live with ours
He could probably have found decent company with current progressives then.

EDIT: Oh right, here because of excruciating phantom pains. It keeps coming back and it isn't getting any more actually possible to be not imaginary.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 03:29:37 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #98354 on: October 29, 2015, 03:42:27 pm »

People assign 0 importance to what I say and ignore it....

Dad has phone with speech recognition software: talk to text. It doesn't fucking work well. The phone "mishears."

He, like many old people, thinks he is educating or informing me of things, they aren't, period. He keeps reading the fucking text as if he is informing me of something being wrong rather than shutting up to hear the answer. As he's reading, the phone is hearing his speech and converting it into more misheard and misspelled text....

HE is the problem and is perpetuating the feedback loop of the glitch. More words from his mouth = more misheard text = more words from his mouth....

I keep trying to get him to be quiet because his voice is LITERALLY the problem, but he talks right over me and assigns my words 0 importance, and he keeps right on doing stupid shit and talking right over me with a bewildered, stupid look on his face. He can't get over the fact that we have not said those words, and he can't comprehend the machine (phone) is making a mistake. It's like watching a caveman try to figure out fire, because he can't comprehend the logical loop he's stuck in, and he won't shut the hell up so I can get 5 words out to tell him. In his mind, his words = important, and everyone else's = not important at all, so he keeps right on talking....

Finally, I grab his god damn phone right out of his (now more angered) hands, and speak into it to show him what's going on, despite his bewildered questions of where this is coming from an lies that he "did stop talking." His god damn bruised ego.... Low and behold when I speak slowly and clearly, some of the words come out.

God damn it, the old fart just won't comprehend I know what the fuck is going on and he doesn't, and its insulting. If he could've given me a solid 10 seconds of him shutting up, the whole thing would've been over with rather than 4 minutes of badly written sketch material.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 6555 6556 [6557] 6558 6559 ... 8167