Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6554 6555 [6556] 6557 6558 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9451676 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #98325 on: October 28, 2015, 11:10:28 am »

Ninjaedit:
All the best MZero. I'm sure WEyez is going to be fine, so I expect you to give is the happy news when it all goes swimmingly.

It's late at night and I'm musing, dwelling, thinking.
My old enemy.
Was going to post this on Facebook, but I don't need meatspace people knowing I think. It could ruin my reputation.

In any case, my musings seem to be on track with the thread for once, albeit loosely.

The heart, in my opinion (metaphorical heart, not anatomical), is a little child.
It serves to do little more than scream and scream if it doesn't get what it wants, and giggle and coo if it does.
But only for a little while.
If the clichés are to be believed, the only way to bring this squalling, rapacious bundle of feelings under control is to smack it. Steel your heart; Temper your heart.
Failing to give it those object lessons in it's infancy has much the same affect as the apt metaphor. It grows spoilt, self-entitled and, worst of all, hyperactive. Nothing but screaming for the thing you can't have, the thing you missed, the toy which the other child is playing with, even though you have your own and it has bells on.
Grown adults acting with heavily layered veneers of civility and honor crafted and honed throughout a lifetime have it all discarded when the squalling bundle of feelings rears its ugly head.

But that's only one side of the coin. Too strict, too hard and harsh, and the heart becomes dutifully quiet, docile, dull, indecisive and, of course, cautious. Which can be just as bad. Relationships don't last any longer as the spoilt heart's I want everything is replaced by the cold heart's "Are you Absolutely Sure you want This One?". The heart is obediently piloted by the brain and the imagination is never as active as when it's conjuring fresh doubts.

The reason I've been gnawing on this little metaphor is because over the last few years, I fear I've become the latter, although I have chilling memories of when I was the former, and consequently far less of a gentleman, and far less of a friend.
But the stony silence of a dead heart is unbearable in it's own way. My last relationship ended amicably and independent of the cessation of carnal gratification, because one can still appreciate talent. In fact, that state of affairs only actually ended when I realized that my not-so-significant other was still allowing feelings to interact with sex, which was clearly akin to a personal betrayal. Yet for some reason I yearn for the times when the right person could allow my heart to take the rest of my body hostage, force me into kissing who shouldn't be kissed, or losing interest in the toy I have, for any toy I do not.
Which is to say, I'm looking at the grass on the other side, and it's greener. Even though when I was just there, it was dry, yellow and wholly unsatisfying.
But I want it. So I guess the brain is just a heart with more cunning.

tl;dr: Screw that, this is the one time I'm not willing to summarise my train of thought.
If you can't be fucked reading it, I'll probably regret writing it less.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98326 on: October 28, 2015, 11:16:27 am »

Thanks. I'll give you an update when I have news. There's a second reason I'm posting here, though. I may have irreparably damaged my marriage by stating that I would rather see her prima donna mother stay home instead of busting into the situation so she can hog the spotlight, make it about herself, drag five dogs and a dementia patient into my house, and constantly berate me. I have everything under control, but it seems that my opinion once again doesn't matter, as I was not listened to and her mom will be here in a few hours despite my protests.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #98327 on: October 28, 2015, 11:23:57 am »

-Snippity

Well, good luck with everything. Rooting for you.

E: snipped the quote just in case.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 11:38:15 am by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98328 on: October 28, 2015, 11:26:58 am »

Best wishes Max, hopefuly its nothing serious. This too shall pass.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #98329 on: October 28, 2015, 12:25:55 pm »

SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98330 on: October 28, 2015, 12:27:13 pm »

Best wishes Max, hopefuly its nothing serious. This too shall pass.

Quote is most appropriate for a kidney stone. They have to surgically remove it, though.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98331 on: October 28, 2015, 03:59:08 pm »

So TB is ranked with AIDS as the world's most deadly infectious disease. This is a disease that can be cured. This is a disease that has a vaccine*. This is something anti-vaxxers would help spread, a movement built entirely on a falsehood.

*The vaccine is only 70-80% effective, but even so...
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98332 on: October 28, 2015, 06:29:47 pm »

Updoot: Wolfeyez is much sicker than anticipated. She's going to be in the hospital for at least a few days.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #98333 on: October 28, 2015, 06:40:17 pm »

D:

Hope she gets better soon.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98334 on: October 28, 2015, 06:43:03 pm »

Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98335 on: October 28, 2015, 07:21:15 pm »

Whatever it is, I hope it clears up quickly, MZ. :(
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98336 on: October 28, 2015, 08:39:27 pm »

Kidney stone.
So, I hope it passes quickly.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #98337 on: October 29, 2015, 12:45:19 am »

Best of luck, MZ.

And do try to tolerate the in-laws. You may not like them, but they are her family.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98338 on: October 29, 2015, 08:20:16 am »

Best of luck, MZ.

And do try to tolerate the in-laws. You may not like them, but they are her family.
This. I can barely tolerate my wife's father, so I know the struggle. Best of luck to you both, keep strong and be there for her and all will be good.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #98339 on: October 29, 2015, 08:59:39 am »

So TB is ranked with AIDS as the world's most deadly infectious disease. This is a disease that can be cured. This is a disease that has a vaccine*. This is something anti-vaxxers would help spread, a movement built entirely on a falsehood.

*The vaccine is only 70-80% effective, but even so...

I don't even know how the falsehood spread so far. Basic common sense - not even biology - tells you the way of it. If you get a Vaccine, e.g. for Smallpox, and autism is not caused by Smallpox, then the Vaccine won't cause autism.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 6554 6555 [6556] 6557 6558 ... 8167