Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6542 6543 [6544] 6545 6546 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9453817 times)

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #98145 on: October 21, 2015, 07:05:01 pm »

Wow I'm pretty pathetic. It's worse because I know it but still won't do anything about it, because doing things is what useful people do.
Who wants to throw a pity party?
Sounds like you already did. Just remember that the party has to stop sometime.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98146 on: October 21, 2015, 07:09:14 pm »

Not much tbh. As in, doing as much as I can without drastically altering my lifestyle, which isn't that wasteful to begin with I think. The most that I do spend I guess is the electricity from my laptop and that is kinda too big a part of my life to let go (also partially because my meager income depends on it).

And I guess my main reason for not doing more is why bother? What point it would be for me to abandon any and all wasteful practices if there's a million other people who are going to do the complete opposite of that on a daily basis?

If my sacrifice is ultimately pointless then I'd much rather not make it at all :/
In that case, to be honest, I'm not really sure you have too much room for complaining.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #98147 on: October 21, 2015, 07:13:26 pm »

So just because I'm not doing the most that I can I can't bitch about people who are doing even less? That doesn't make too much sense :S
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98148 on: October 21, 2015, 07:25:09 pm »

No publicly available sheet music exists for something that I really want to see about doing an arrangement of for a music group I play in.  Suffering from nerves about both suggesting it to the director of said group and/or potentially writing the creator of the music and asking if they'd, well, support this endeavor in any way.
Probably not going to go through with it.
...Is there a "Things that made you nervous today" thread yet?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #98149 on: October 21, 2015, 07:25:23 pm »

We need more idealists in government. Someone elect me.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #98150 on: October 21, 2015, 07:56:34 pm »

That bolded bit there. Humanity is so far showing no signs of doing that, because we're too selfish and shortsighted for that. And by the time the shit hits the fan and people realise that we should be more careful and prudent with the resources at our disposal it'll be far too late for a nice and mostly painless solution. I'm hoping it doesn't happen in my lifetime, because however power fantasyish a collapsing society would be I don't hold many illusions about my ability to survive it, or even the willingness to survive it because the world will most certainly become a giant shithole at that point.
FWIW we already have all the technology required to buy ourselves another couple hundred years of time against most climate change if anyone wants to spend about couple billion dollars it would require to actually build and implement them (solar shading, etc.). They aren't required yet, but they would still be able to be put into effect several magnitudes faster than global warming would kill us all. If stuff gets really bad, we can put panic fixes into place fast enough to save the vast majority of us for most potential problems we are facing today. They wouldn't be nice fixes, or very cost effective ones, but they would work.

I might not necessarily have faith in humanity's ability to stop itself from running headfirst into problems, but I do have faith enough in humanity's selfishness kicking in near the end to make sure that any blocks to it's ingenuity to design fixes to whatever the latest catastrophe is before we all die get moved out of the road. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #98151 on: October 21, 2015, 07:59:50 pm »

That bolded bit there. Humanity is so far showing no signs of doing that, because we're too selfish and shortsighted for that. And by the time the shit hits the fan and people realise that we should be more careful and prudent with the resources at our disposal it'll be far too late for a nice and mostly painless solution. I'm hoping it doesn't happen in my lifetime, because however power fantasyish a collapsing society would be I don't hold many illusions about my ability to survive it, or even the willingness to survive it because the world will most certainly become a giant shithole at that point.
FWIW we already have all the technology required to buy ourselves another couple hundred years of time against most climate change if anyone wants to spend about couple billion dollars it would require to actually build and implement them (solar shading, etc.).

Don't forget GMO foods!
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #98152 on: October 21, 2015, 08:01:27 pm »

No publicly available sheet music exists for something that I really want to see about doing an arrangement of for a music group I play in.  Suffering from nerves about both suggesting it to the director of said group and/or potentially writing the creator of the music and asking if they'd, well, support this endeavor in any way.

I could never read sheet music, even after four years of high school choir and several years of band
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98153 on: October 21, 2015, 08:14:05 pm »

I could never read sheet music, even after four years of high school choir and several years of band
Bubububuwha?
Although I would certainly appreciate being able to sing/play by ear that well if you made that work.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98154 on: October 21, 2015, 08:36:18 pm »

Sounds like you already did. Just remember that the party has to stop sometime.
I wouldn't say that complaining on the internet counts as doing something. Doing something would be stuff like reconciling with people I've wronged and working on improving myself.
It's not like it's crucial to do those things, I could get by otherwise. It's just kind of disheartening knowing that it's not difficult stuff and I still won't do it.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #98155 on: October 21, 2015, 08:56:17 pm »

Not much tbh. As in, doing as much as I can without drastically altering my lifestyle, which isn't that wasteful to begin with I think. The most that I do spend I guess is the electricity from my laptop and that is kinda too big a part of my life to let go (also partially because my meager income depends on it).

And I guess my main reason for not doing more is why bother? What point it would be for me to abandon any and all wasteful practices if there's a million other people who are going to do the complete opposite of that on a daily basis?

If my sacrifice is ultimately pointless then I'd much rather not make it at all :/
In that case, to be honest, I'm not really sure you have too much room for complaining.

From what I've read, the problem isn't with individual habits, anyway.  It's industries simply refusing to adopt better practices, because it would cut into their profits.  Things like filters on factory smokestacks, factory farming livestock, just-in-time inventories, etc.  If everyone in their private lives did all the recycling, turning lights off, etc that they're supposed to, it would amount to a drop in the bucket.

So there's very little reason to feel guilty about personal habits.  The problem is much larger than that.  If we should be doing anything, it's organizing massive direct action to shut bad organizations and infrastructure down.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #98156 on: October 22, 2015, 12:29:38 am »

Quote from: Rolan7 link=topic=43236. msg6567647#msg6567647 date=1445452844
I chew the skin around my fingernails, or pluck out my facial hair.
Someone I know picks at his cuticles, until they bleed...  Doesn't even know he's doing it.  I used to help by pointing it out.
It's weird what people do when bored or nervous.
I do that, the biting at my fingernails until they bleed. :-\

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98157 on: October 22, 2015, 04:44:07 am »

The project I was programming for in the last 6 months got cancelled, it was a huge screw up.

And right next I learnt that my company was bought by a man I despise. What a great day.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98158 on: October 22, 2015, 06:04:03 am »

...My mother literally just got into an accident.  Thankfully, I was already on the bus, but I'm really worried about her.
Everyone involved is okay, but...I think she's just been doing way too much and then this is what happens.
Hopefully, she can get leave from work, because we're kinda out of vehicles now.
Seriously.  Two cars, one which we own and one we could probably borrow.  Both are in the shop.  And now the truck needs repair.
I...Ugh.
I don't even know what I could possibly do to fix this.  And I feel like it's somehow partly my fault.
Sigtext

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #98159 on: October 22, 2015, 06:12:12 am »

The project I was programming for in the last 6 months got cancelled, it was a huge screw up.

And right next I learnt that my company was bought by a man I despise. What a great day.

Ouch. Hope it doesn't mess with your company too much.

And I feel like it's somehow partly my fault.

Glad she's okay. Pretty sure it's not your fault your mom got in an accident - it happens to everyone sometimes, and half the time it has nothing to do with one party. I've had someone drive straight into the back of the car while my mother was driving. Not our fault. This isn't your fault.

Universities are having to postpone exams because of the protest action. Wonderful.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 6542 6543 [6544] 6545 6546 ... 8167