Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6538 6539 [6540] 6541 6542 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9452876 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #98085 on: October 20, 2015, 10:47:14 am »

Once, a friend told me that humanity is at its most dangerous phase right now, since we've evolved a great deal in regards to our technology and capacity for affecting the lives of hundreds of millions of people, while lacking the moral development to keep us from anihilating eachother out of sheer dumbfuckery.

Quote from: Martin Luther King, Jr., 1963
Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men.
I've thought of the same quote. Kinda funny, though, that half a century later, we're still not dead yet...
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98086 on: October 20, 2015, 10:47:18 am »

The only difference nowadays is that you can see them easier, because internet. And they can get in contact with each other and go "OH! I'm NOT alone!" because internet.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #98087 on: October 20, 2015, 11:51:32 am »

Once, a friend told me that humanity is at its most dangerous phase right now, since we've evolved a great deal in regards to our technology and capacity for affecting the lives of hundreds of millions of people, while lacking the moral development to keep us from anihilating eachother out of sheer dumbfuckery.
Yeah, I'd say that the most dangerous phase was right at the height of the cold war, where we already had the technology to kill everyone and we had several very close calls. Since then I think the development of the internet has made big leaps at making us see all others as human then we did at that point. We definitely aren't out of the danger zone yet, but I'd say we've already crested the hill, so to speak (the exact point I'd probably put right during the Cuban Missile Crisis, which so far has been the closest we've all come to blowing everything up).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #98088 on: October 20, 2015, 01:17:51 pm »

We hate everyone, fake exalting ourselves, but secretly hate ourselves too.

It's simple science, unarguable math, and priority: the amount of production to create the resources to make a given number of people alive and ok. Instead, we keep popping out babies left and right, while making TV shows about it. They're famous expressly because they bone like rabbits. Heaven forbid you say we should impose some entirely reasonable limit on procreation, even that eight is enough, because you'll be called some eugenics advocating monster, or who knows.

Here's how it is people; we are either a r-selection or a K-selection species. Pick one.

r-selection have as many kids as possible knowing a ton of them will die, but it'll work out because competition and sheer numbers.

K-selection have fewer kids and focus on quality over quantity.

We humans need to be a K-selection species if we want to value liberty, freedom, health, happiness, and ethics. Right now, our production capacity is way lower than it needs to be in order to produce what everyone needs via labor, capital, or even automation. Fix that and we're good. Don't and we're not. Keep writing off the poor, the third world, and basically everyone "not liked" (by someone), and we're not doing that. It needs to be a massive agreed effort, but who only knows how on earth, if, or when, we'd ever agree to what.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #98089 on: October 20, 2015, 01:31:02 pm »

-snip-

Population growth rates are plummeting worldwide, with most developed nations having a b/d ratio that is very low or negative (while also having quite low total birth rates). This is before the increasingly large percentage of elderly have really begun dying off, so that trend is going to continue. As a percentage, global population growth over the first half of the 21st century is projected to be half of what it was in the last half of the 20th (and nearly identical in absolute terms - 1950-2000 saw a growth from 3-6 billion, 2000-2050 is projected to grow from 6-9 billion).

Note that very few of the developed nations have any sort of population control measures, just a higher standard of living and wide access to birth control.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #98090 on: October 20, 2015, 01:34:54 pm »

It's not enough. It's not even close to enough. The human population needs to be around one billion or lower to not slowly (or not so slowly, as it is now) kill the planet, and we haven't even finished the population shift for half the world or the two highest population societies.

I hate to say it, but China had the right of it before they backed out of the one child policy. The whole world should have had that kind of enforcement, and should now. "Right to reproduce", what a fucking mess we live in. Your precious babies are the enemy of human survival.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #98091 on: October 20, 2015, 01:35:29 pm »

The thing is, one would think that in today's world (IE one in which you, as an individual, is more exposed than ever) people would start becoming less assholish and more self conscious. Suddenly, everyone starts living in glass houses, because you can only hide so much info about yourself. And yet, all we see is that people have completely ignored it and have continued to be huge pricks.
When you realize that being an asshole and/or stupid about things is normal why would you ever go through the difficult process of habitually not being one? If you put up with the others and they put up with you you both win.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #98092 on: October 20, 2015, 01:38:27 pm »

bluh, i still havent told her. not entirely sure i can keep dealing with the excitement that comes from telling myself that im going to do it during the last hour of school and then not seeing her :v. i am going to do it this week, though.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #98093 on: October 20, 2015, 01:58:11 pm »

bluh, i still havent told her. not entirely sure i can keep dealing with the excitement that comes from telling myself that im going to do it during the last hour of school and then not seeing her :v. i am going to do it this week, though.

Just do it. Track her down and say it. The last time I had to go through something like this wasn't exactly the same circumstances (quite different in a few respects), but I felt much the same way - and then I spoke to the person and it was a heck of a lot less awkward than expected, except for the odd bit where I was planning to compensate for it being awkward and then had the rug pulled out from under me because it wasn't.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #98094 on: October 20, 2015, 02:01:29 pm »

I could, but I don't really want to do this in front of anybody else. If I haven't told her tomorrow I'll just send her a text late at night that I need to ask her something.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #98095 on: October 20, 2015, 02:57:59 pm »

What we need is Doctor Moreau technology so that we can decouple reproduction from population growth

There are countless people who think the world is going through massive moral decay. There always have been. This is not any sort of revelation.
My theory is that people have always been pricks, ever since the first modern human. As the cycle of birth-age-reproduction goes on, children are told certain lies about the human condition but still grow up to realize that people are pricks. Rather than reading a history book and seeing that people have always been pricks, they blame it on that damn talking-picture box those kids are obsessed with, and probably those gosh dern foreigners too.

Iy's not merely staying constant. The overall trend throughout history is that it's been improving; most ancient civilizations were scum.

I've taken to worshipping something vaguely similar to Roko's Basilisk because I'm so enamoured with the ideas of the ancients and patriarchs going to hell.

The thing is, one would think that in today's world (IE one in which you, as an individual, is more exposed than ever) people would start becoming less assholish and more self conscious. Suddenly, everyone starts living in glass houses, because you can only hide so much info about yourself. And yet, all we see is that people have completely ignored it and have continued to be huge pricks.

People have been saying this forever too. "Repent! The end is upon us!"
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 03:06:32 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98096 on: October 20, 2015, 03:04:10 pm »

ITT:

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98097 on: October 20, 2015, 03:08:38 pm »

People have been saying this forever too. "Repent! The end is upon us!"

How exactly the content of that post is equivalent to that?
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #98098 on: October 20, 2015, 03:48:02 pm »

It's not enough. It's not even close to enough. The human population needs to be around one billion or lower to not slowly (or not so slowly, as it is now) kill the planet, and we haven't even finished the population shift for half the world or the two highest population societies.
Meh. Decent environmental controls and sustainable food supplies pretty much alleviate any problems high population can cause. And we're getting there, gradually.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #98099 on: October 20, 2015, 04:08:25 pm »

Ah, the joys of college. One day I have almost no homework.

Two class sessions later I have 2 major tests in one week and a bunch of homework due that same week.

Operation Panic is a go.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 6538 6539 [6540] 6541 6542 ... 8167